Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Annoying / Dishonest Hong Kong Taxi Drivers

Annoying / Dishonest Hong Kong Taxi Drivers

Old Mar 22, 19, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kaka View Post

how is refusing a fare less illegal than taking uber (it isnt. show me a law that one would break by TAKING an uber)

cant believe you support illegal activities
+1
Old Mar 23, 19, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
the taxi licences are held by rotten ex govt officials who the brits kicked out from the govt, and defected to the commies.
You will be surprised that it is not correct.
Old Mar 23, 19, 3:44 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
https://webb-site.com/articles/roadcartels.asp
Old Mar 24, 19, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
name me

still waiting to see how over charging pax on taxis or refusing a fare is any more legal that TAKING an uber

Last edited by kaka; Mar 24, 19 at 2:03 pm
Old Mar 24, 19, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by christep View Post
And for those who think Uber is staffed by angels: https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...filming-almost
im still waiting to see how this never happens on taxis and how uber drivers can run away from over charging pax without pax knowing in advance and willing accepting the charge.

tbh taking upskirting photos are everywhere too in hk. shopping mall mtr and where not.
Old Mar 24, 19, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
The article contains many inaccuracies (as of the date of the posting of that article):

In HK, if you want to drive a taxi for a living, then you have to pay someone else not to, by buying or renting their licence.
Not true.

In Hong Kong, the taxi license allows you to own and operate a taxi. Without the license, Toyota will not sell you a taxi vehicle at all. If you want to drive a taxi for a living in Hong Kong, you need not rent the license. You simply need to rent the taxi from the taxi owner, who owns both the license and the vehicle.

While there are still some taxis are operated by their owner, rather than available for rent, usually the owner will only drive 1 shift only.

In an unrestricted market, the value of a taxi would be no more than its depreciated cost, including any registration taxes. A new Toyota Crown LPG Taxi costs HK$230k at list price.
But in HK's restricted market, taxis change hands at vast premiums, with a red taxi trading around HK$6.7m and a green taxi around HK$5.5m.
The problem with these statements is the lack of consideration of the required licensing, i.e. the approval from the Government to operate. In Hong Kong, the Government controls how "public transportation" operates. Every single model of public transportation, such as bus, minibus, taxi, and even MTR, has to pay the Government in some monetary values. The cost of the equipment, i.e. taxi vehicles, buses, locomotive, is never the question.

Yes - the vehicles are cheap. So what? Without the licenses, the vehicles are nothing.

That's how much the cartel is worth.
While I agree that there are some major players in the taxi industry, the taxi industry is not really operated by cartels, at least better than minibus. They are still many taxi licenses/vehicles are owned by individuals.

Not being a highly-skilled profession, the driver takes home (after fuel costs) just above the minimum wage, and anything else goes in rent to the owners, who pay for maintenance, insurance, and occasionally a new vehicle. So when you see protestors demanding higher taxi fares, most of them represent owners who collect that rent. The driver knows that as soon as the fare revenue goes up (either due to a fare increase or to higher demand) then so will the rent, because if he won't pay it, then another low-skilled person will. Basic economics.
This statement sympathizes the drivers. But the actual reality is owners only entitled to the rents and drivers get everything else. Drivers need to be responsible for fuel costs and some minor costs only, while owners are responsible for pretty much everything else. When drivers do not care the vehicles and repair are required, drivers pay no rent and can get some replacement shifts, while owners have to put the vehicles out of service and pay the repair costs (i.e. no income with costs).

Also - the taxi rent (the amount drivers pay to owners) have not been increased dramatically for years, despite several fare hikes.

Last but not the least - many owners are still paying the installment loan for the licenses/vehicles.

name me

still waiting to see how over charging pax on taxis or refusing a fare is any more legal that TAKING an uber
At this moment, overcharging/refusal to transport is not yet a systemic issue, i.e. only individual drivers are overcharging. On the other hand, the law's position on Uber is clear that Uber's service in Hong Kong is illegal.

Although both are not legal, the reason why overcharging/refusal to transport is more "legal" that taking an Uber is the passenger's approach. I don't think any taxi passengers are willing to be overcharged/refused to transport by any taxi. So on the surface, the passengers being overcharged/refused to transport are victims. On the other hand, when the law makes it clear that Uber is illegal. Yet people still choose to call an Uber. These people are in fact accessory to the crime (as they choose to support an illegal activity).
Old Mar 24, 19, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Spire
I can't imagine Uber will remain "illegal" forever in the world's "freest economy"

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...t-economy-25th

I'll be there in two weeks and I'll be using Uber whenever I can. Not only can I avoid this nonsense, but I can also pay by credit card.
kaka likes this.
Old Mar 25, 19, 8:19 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus (silver)
I won't trust Uber unless it is a Uber taxi - because I feel safe riding in a properly-licensed taxi where the driver holds a commercial licence but not a private car of someone I don't know.
Old Mar 25, 19, 10:19 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by miklcct View Post

英航 (Yīng Háng) - 因航 (Yīn Háng)
BA - British Airways - Because Airways
Love your new bi-lingual signature!
Old Mar 29, 19, 12:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime TITANIUM, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang View Post
I can't imagine Uber will remain "illegal" forever in the world's "freest economy"

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...t-economy-25th

I'll be there in two weeks and I'll be using Uber whenever I can. Not only can I avoid this nonsense, but I can also pay by credit card.
I will be there next month and I use Uber when I am in HK. As a non Chinese/Cantonese speaker, entering the address into the Uber app is more certain than trying to make sure a taxi driver has it. In general over the years I have not had major problems with HK taxi drivers, but to me Uber is a better service.
kaka likes this.
Old Mar 29, 19, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by miklcct View Post
I won't trust Uber unless it is a Uber taxi - because I feel safe riding in a properly-licensed taxi where the driver holds a commercial licence but not a private car of someone I don't know.
good luck tracking down the holder of the “taxi commercial license”. do you check with their faces when you take a cab?
Old Apr 5, 19, 4:18 am

Programs: N/A
Complaints againsts HK drivers are growing

I just read an article today about: Complaints against Hong Kong’s taxi drivers hit record 11,000 in 2018 with bad driving, longer routes and overcharging among gripes.
Number of complaints has more than doubled over past 15 years. From my personal experience, HK taxi drivers are becoming more and more arrogant and annoying, the ride is never that pleasant.
Old Apr 5, 19, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
My perception is that there is a small proportion of taxi drivers who choose to target tourists (and drunk expats late at night). These are obviously easier targets to scam. I guess every major tourist centre in the world has a subset of drivers who do this.

As a long term (big, whit, English-speaking) resident/immigrant who generally takes taxis to/.from places which are obviously not tourist places I have to say that my perception is that in the last couple of years the effect of Uber has been to improve the attitude of the taxi drivers I get. My only qualm is that many of the drivers (and their cabs) are very old and the standard of their driving is sometimes a bit iffy/worrying. No-one has tried to scam me or take me on a roundabout route for many years.

But I have to ask the tourists from the UK, for example, what sort of attitude you would expect from a black cab driver if you tried to converse with him or her entirely in Cantonese?
Old Apr 5, 19, 1:11 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by christep View Post
But I have to ask the tourists from the UK, for example, what sort of attitude you would expect from a black cab driver if you tried to converse with him or her entirely in Cantonese?
Not a fair comparison: Cantonese is not an official language in the UK. Also, I highly doubt that a London cab driver would refuse a fare based on destination. This happens to me frequently in Hong Kong, whether it be a hail on the street, or even trying to get one from a reputable hotel.
:D! likes this.
Old Apr 5, 19, 1:23 pm
formerly AtomicLush

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA Gold and free agent (DH = AA EXP)
Is this really that limited to HK? I had a taxi driver refuse a fare in Las Vegas (on the strip) because it was just a mile away. He said "you can walk" and told us to get out of the car.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: