Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

12 Hours in HKG (long layover) recommendations on what to do outside airport?

Old Dec 27, 18, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Titanium- AA EP

Hello fellow FT community,

After reading all replies of what to do on long layovers while not existing airport, any recommendations on what to do if i decide to leave the airport? Flight scheduled to arrive at 7:30 am and then departing back to US at 7:55 pm later that evening. Have had many layovers in HKG before but not to the tune of 12 hrs. Hold OW Emerald so have visited most of the F/J lounges prior but this time interested in hearing thoughts/recommendations on what to if I decided to leave HKG. Is 12 hrs enough time to exit immigration, quickly explore city, then head back through immigration on the departing flight back home?

Thank you all!
Old Dec 29, 18, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

12 hours is plenty to explore ANY city from ANY airport. @:-)
kevincrumbs and sailor279 like this.
Old Dec 30, 18, 1:34 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
12 hours is plenty to explore ANY city from ANY airport. @:-)
Especially Hong Kong!
Old Dec 30, 18, 12:27 pm

Hong Kong is an amazing city there are tons of things to do with your layover. I have this spreadsheet on HK I can link you to http://bit.ly/2Tjbyyh
sailor279 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 18, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by noahsilv View Post
Hong Kong is an amazing city there are tons of things to do with your layover. I have this spreadsheet on HK I can link you to http://bit.ly/2Tjbyyh
Thanks for this!!! and thank you all for your replies. Should've asked this as well......any must try restaurants for roast duck or dim sum? Doesn't have to be 5*, I'm more of a "hole in the wall" kind of foodie
Old Dec 30, 18, 6:37 pm

One Dim Sum is the best and open late. Inexpensive and in a cool spot as well
Old Dec 30, 18, 7:16 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
One of my favorites is Empire City Roasted Duck in the K11 center in TST. I'm sure there are better places to get Peking Duck in town, but this place is especially suitable for your situation: a) it serves a half-duck (which not all places do), and b) it serves it for lunch (which not all places do).
Old Jan 1, 19, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by A651346 View Post
Thanks for this!!! and thank you all for your replies. Should've asked this as well......any must try restaurants for roast duck or dim sum? Doesn't have to be 5*, I'm more of a "hole in the wall" kind of foodie
I really like the dim sum at Wing Hing Kitchen in Wan Chai, which was recommended to me by a FA but not in any of the guidebooks. It's not super fancy but tasty fare and very nice staff (not very common). Honestly HK has so much great food that you are unlikely to go wrong just by wandering where you would like to go on the streets and then choosing a place that "looks" like it serves good stuff.
Old Jan 1, 19, 9:41 pm

Programs: MP, BR
By roast duck do you mean HK style BBQ (e.g. roast pork, roast goose/duck) or Peking duck (e.g. skinned and serves with pancakes)?
Old Jan 1, 19, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chromie25 View Post
By roast duck do you mean HK style BBQ (e.g. roast pork, roast goose/duck) or Peking duck (e.g. skinned and serves with pancakes)?
great question.....my first though was the HK style BBQ roast goose/duck, but since you mention Peking duck, I'd be happy to go that route. Just had roast duck here at Sam Woo here in So. Cali so now lets go with the Peking Duck.

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 19, 1:56 am

Programs: MP, BR
great question.....my first though was the HK style BBQ roast goose/duck, but since you mention Peking duck, I'd be happy to go that route. Just had roast duck here at Sam Woo here in So. Cali so now lets go with the Peking Duck.

Thanks!
Just to add a bit more confusion, roast goose is different from duck - traditional roast goose meat tastes a little more gamey (i.e. more flavorful meat). Not sure about So Cal but traditional roast goose is more difficult to find outside of HK/China.

For Peking duck, besides the one at K11 that someone mentioned, you can't go wrong with Peking Garden (check their website for locations). They serve this all day long as well but suggest some walking after the meal to burn off those calories
Old Jan 3, 19, 5:56 pm

K11 Peking duck is pretty good. Convenient location, and serves 1/2 duck for lunch, as mentioned above. Another place that is excellent near K11 is (can't remember the name), but the road perpendicular to Nathan road opposite the Chun King Mansions is a restaurant with a nondescript black door (called Wu...something Wu Kong Shanghai) with stairways leading downstairs. They have excellent duck here (better than Empire duck in K11, in my view), but, if memory serves, it's only whole, not 1/2.

For dim-sum, if you roam around the Mong Kok area, you'll find places serving a variety of assorted dim-sum at really good prices.

PS - Regarding the roast goose, I recall it was priced similarly to roast duck when I lived in HK. Couple of months ago, I ordered a side (1/4) of roast goose in TST, assuming the price was what I had remembered. When I went to pay the bill and was told it was $200 HKD, I was shocked! So, has the price risen that much, or did I just get ripped off from not checking the menu or asking the price first?

Last edited by Visconti; Jan 8, 19 at 1:25 pm Reason: name of restaurant...
Old Jan 3, 19, 9:33 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
I've been going to HK every year since 1992, whenever I purchased roast goose meal it always cost more than a roast duck meal, here in London if you tried to buy a fresh not frozen goose during the festive period instead of a duck in a supermarket like Waitrose, the price difference would have been 8 per kg, just imagine the mark up a restaurant would charge.
Tai Hing restaurant (various locations) gets good reviews, but pricey though for their roast goose check out the price for whole, half, upper and lower roast goose - https://www.openrice.com/en/hongkong...-hing-p8602867
If you are in Mong Kok particularly Fa Yuen Street (south side after Soy Street) there are a couple of BBQ/Roast meat restaurants on the right hand side.
Old Jan 3, 19, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chromie25 View Post
Just to add a bit more confusion, roast goose is different from duck - traditional roast goose meat tastes a little more gamey (i.e. more flavorful meat). Not sure about So Cal but traditional roast goose is more difficult to find outside of HK/China.

For Peking duck, besides the one at K11 that someone mentioned, you can't go wrong with Peking Garden (check their website for locations). They serve this all day long as well but suggest some walking after the meal to burn off those calories
Thank you and appreciate the recommendation. Major disappointment during my meal in So Cal on their roast duck so that's where my mind went with Peking duck.

Will definitely look at all the options that all of you have suggested.........just have to firm up where the one or two "landmarks" that I'll be taking in and from there where to eat

Keep the suggestions coming!! Thanks again all!
Old Jan 3, 19, 10:14 pm

Thank you and appreciate the recommendation. Major disappointment during my meal in So Cal on their roast duck so that's where my mind went with Peking duck.
For my taste, I like Peking duck better, especially the skin. I mean, the skin is the best part, and that's where Peking duck does it much better than roasted. Since I love duck so much, there have been times where I've ordered an entire duck all by myself.

On your way back HKG, after the fatty duck, you can stop by the Pen for a cigar & brandy, an ideal way to finish off the meal, in my view.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: