FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   Amex Lounge vs Club Autus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1947613-amex-lounge-vs-club-autus.html)

noahsilv Dec 26, 2018 3:29 pm

Amex Lounge vs Club Autus

Hi All,

I'm going to have a few hours at HKG next week. I only have time to visit one lounge. Does anyone know which is better? Club Autus (HX) or Amex Centurion?

It'll be about 10 am.

Thanks

The _Banking_Scot Dec 26, 2018 4:04 pm

Hi,

Also it will depend on where your departing flight leaves from,

Club autus being in the midfield terminal and Amex Centurion being around gate 40 in the main terminal

There is a review of Club autus here
https://www.businesstraveller.com/tr...es-club-autus/

I have been to the Amex Platinum section of the Amex centurion lounge briefly and found it to be quite good ( I had access to the Cathay First lounges ) ( looks on a par with the Club autus review)

Regards

TBS

Chromie25 Dec 26, 2018 6:53 pm

As mentioned already the location of the gate where your flight is departing from will be a factor. Another factor is your food preference - both lounge will serve the usual western/Chinese selections but Club Autus has a cooking station for eggs and other Hong Kong style breakfast (e.g. noodle/macaroni in soup).

noahsilv Dec 26, 2018 9:43 pm

There is a way to get back from midfield concourse to main terminal?

beep88 Dec 26, 2018 10:12 pm

There was champagne at the AMEX lounge. Dont know about Autus.

trueblu Dec 26, 2018 10:32 pm

If you have Centurion (not Plat) Amex, they have a special, secluded bit in the lounge which has amazing food offerings (I've never been, but good friend with black card has). Otherwise, the standard Centurion lounge offering is merely OK.

tb

garykung Dec 27, 2018 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by noahsilv (Post 30576282)
Hi All,

I'm going to have a few hours at HKG next week. I only have time to visit one lounge. Does anyone know which is better? Club Autus (HX) or Amex Centurion?

It'll be about 10 am.

Thanks

Club Autus has a better food option than AMEX Centurion Lounge.

AMEX Centurion Lounge has a better alcohol option than Club Autus.

Given it will be 10 am, Club Autus would be a better choice.

Originally Posted by noahsilv (Post 30577146)
There is a way to get back from midfield concourse to main terminal?

Yes and no.

Yes - there is always a way to get back from midfield concourse to main terminal.

No - it is not available to you.

Originally Posted by trueblu (Post 30577227)
If you have Centurion (not Plat) Amex, they have a special, secluded bit in the lounge which has amazing food offerings (I've never been, but good friend with black card has). Otherwise, the standard Centurion lounge offering is merely OK.

Even with the Centurion session, the AMEX Centurion Lounge's food offering is still below par from many HKG lounges. To most people's surprise, even UC (United Club) has a better food.

trueblu Dec 28, 2018 5:43 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 30579552)
Even with the Centurion session, the AMEX Centurion Lounge's food offering is still below par from many HKG lounges. To most people's surprise, even UC (United Club) has a better food.

I've only got the Plat Card, and agree the food offerings of the regular section are subpar. But a good friend, black card holder, was in HKG earlier this month, and on the menu was oscietra caviar, dungeness crab, black cod miso, truffle burger etc.

In the Pier and Wing earlier this month, none of the menu items could match those...

tb

Visconti Dec 29, 2018 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by trueblu (Post 30581308)
I've only got the Plat Card, and agree the food offerings of the regular section are subpar. But a good friend, black card holder, was in HKG earlier this month, and on the menu was oscietra caviar, dungeness crab, black cod miso, truffle burger etc.

In the Pier and Wing earlier this month, none of the menu items could match those...

tb

More importantly, and this is where HK always gets it right, is a place (private clubs) where members may go to for some peace & quiet, and to be away from the chaos of the general public, which most mainline Centurion clubs have morphed into. It's supposed to be a sanctuary for members to escape from, at least for a moment, the outside world.

These days, Airport centurion lounges Stateside are little better than, say, sitting out in the terminal, but with hot food.

Rami Tamimi Dec 29, 2018 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 30579552)
Yes and no.

Yes - there is always a way to get back from midfield concourse to main terminal.

No - it is not available to you.

The trains from Midfield to the Main Terminal are available for passengers. Tried it personally.

fishball Dec 30, 2018 7:47 am

nobody mans the bar at 8am in Autus. even so, the most expensive alcohol offering i saw was sparkling wine (no, it wasn't any more specific). their satay beef instant noodles and xo sauce are pretty good, if that's your thing.

noahsilv Dec 30, 2018 9:31 am

Ok interesting. I assume you still think the Cent is better than the Plaza Premium Upstairs (across from the cent). Luckily all my flights this year through HKG are in J so I can finally try HX and CX lounges.

beep88 Dec 31, 2018 10:40 am

Centurion lounge is a lot better than Plaza Premium Lounge, unless you specifically want HK style fish balls and stuff like that.

PPL is always a zoo.

ijgordon Jan 2, 2019 9:06 am

There's lots of discussion of the HKG Centurion Lounge in a thread in the Amex forum if you want more details.