Renewing HKSAR Passport

Old Dec 1, 18, 3:33 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: MEL
Programs: QF WP, VA
Posts: 52
Renewing HKSAR Passport

I reside overseas but my passport is due for renewal.
Has anyone tried using the online application?
What is the processing period as I will most probably be in HK for 1-2 days to collect the new passport in person.

I tried looking at the gov. website, but very vague on timeframes. (around 10 working days)

BTW, I do not require my SAR passport for travel.
Texter is offline  
Old Dec 1, 18, 5:01 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: None any more
Posts: 10,996
If you don't require it for travel then why bother renewing it? That's the only purpose of a passport (the clue's in the name)!
christep is offline  
Old Dec 1, 18, 5:12 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: MEL
Programs: QF WP, VA
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by christep View Post
If you don't require it for travel then why bother renewing it? That's the only purpose of a passport (the clue's in the name)!
You are right! I was forced to apply for one when I applied for a Home Return Permit.
I am worried CTS might ask me to show them my SAR Passport again when it is up for renewal.
See: Home Return Permit Renewal
Texter is offline  
Old Dec 1, 18, 7:17 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,593
No HK SAR Passport, No HRP.

It is HK you are talking about, that 10 day is a very accurate estimate. I have picked up my senior, living overseas relatives' passport at the available date.

My curse is that my office is 200m from HKIS building.
tentseller is online now  
Old Dec 3, 18, 3:30 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: BA Silver, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott SL
Posts: 3,588
Originally Posted by Texter View Post
I reside overseas but my passport is due for renewal.
Has anyone tried using the online application?
What is the processing period as I will most probably be in HK for 1-2 days to collect the new passport in person.

I tried looking at the gov. website, but very vague on timeframes. (around 10 working days)

BTW, I do not require my SAR passport for travel.
You just need to show up after 10-11 business days of the application, then the passport will wait for you at the immigration for 60(?) days for you to pick-up.

It's been long before I sign-up for HRP which I cannot comment. However why you want HKSAR passport + HRP instead of Chinese Visa? Once you have that you will lost consulate protection right away as you are considered Chinese National.
ChrisLi is offline  
Old Dec 3, 18, 4:13 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,593
Originally Posted by ChrisLi View Post
You just need to show up after 10-11 business days of the application, then the passport will wait for you at the immigration for 60(?) days for you to pick-up.

It's been long before I sign-up for HRP which I cannot comment. However why you want HKSAR passport + HRP instead of Chinese Visa? Once you have that you will lost consulate protection right away as you are considered Chinese National.
Once you have an HRP you disqualify yourself from getting a Chinese visa in any passport. I would not try to circumvent this with the facial recognition technologies available to the Chinese government.

AFAIK - They have also stopped issuing NEWvisas to Canadian and US passport holders who are born in HK.

Last edited by tentseller; Dec 3, 18 at 5:36 pm Reason: Clarification of fact presented
tentseller is online now  
Old Dec 3, 18, 4:25 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: MEL
Programs: QF WP, VA
Posts: 52
A visa is a good alternative, but never had much luck with getting the visa centre to give me a multiple entry visa and I dread going inside visa centre.
Also you cannot get a 10yr visa in my country.
So a HRP is a good backup despite the risks.
Texter is offline  
Old Dec 3, 18, 6:02 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: HKG
Posts: 1,095
I don't recall showing my HKSAR passport to renew my HRP. ID card was sufficient, and those won't expire for another few years.
hkskyline is offline  
Old Dec 3, 18, 11:09 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Portland, OR, United States
Programs: CX Marco Polo Green (hahaha)
Posts: 1,302
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
AFAIK - They have also stopped issuing visa to Canadian and US passport holders who are born in HK.
My mother & sister (US passport holders) were issued visas for a November trip to Shanghai. My mother has a HRP, not sure about my sister.
kevincrumbs is offline  
Old Dec 3, 18, 5:34 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,593
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs View Post
My mother & sister (US passport holders) were issued visas for a November trip to Shanghai. My mother has a HRP, not sure about my sister.
They are issued visa if they had a previous visa in a US or Canadian passport. I have corrected my post for new visa applications.

Older HRP data might not be up to date a foreign consulates. The visa application ask if you have other travel documents to enter China.

However, I would be very careful about having a US passport with a China visa and an HRP on me at the same time in China. You will lose your HRP on the spot and will have difficulties with future entries. (I know someone who handed over their passport with visa without removing their HRP in that passport holder.)
tentseller is online now  
Old Dec 3, 18, 5:37 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,593
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I don't recall showing my HKSAR passport to renew my HRP. ID card was sufficient, and those won't expire for another few years.
They asked about HK SAR passport.
tentseller is online now  
Old Dec 3, 18, 8:40 pm
  #12  
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Aberdeen, Bella Vista and Croydon
Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Posts: 4,366
If you are truly in a position to need consular protection from a "western" country, using a visa to enter the PRC instead of your HRP won't make any difference.
kevincrumbs likes this.
:D! is online now  
Old Dec 4, 18, 1:28 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,593
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
If you are truly in a position to need consular protection from a "western" country, using a visa to enter the PRC instead of your HRP won't make any difference.
Really?
tentseller is online now  
Old Dec 4, 18, 2:20 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: None any more
Posts: 10,996
Ask Gui Minhai! He didn't even get to choose to enter China.
kevincrumbs likes this.
christep is offline  
Old Dec 9, 18, 5:57 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 10,258
Originally Posted by Texter View Post
I reside overseas but my passport is due for renewal.
Has anyone tried using the online application?
What is the processing period as I will most probably be in HK for 1-2 days to collect the new passport in person.

I tried looking at the gov. website, but very vague on timeframes. (around 10 working days)

BTW, I do not require my SAR passport for travel.
Always give 15 business days in advance before you apply.

Online application works fine. The only problem is even with the photo verification, some photos may still not pass the requirement, which was my experience. If time is not an issue, mail the application in is a better method.

For the record - if you have a Hong Kong address, it does not matter how you apply.

Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I don't recall showing my HKSAR passport to renew my HRP. ID card was sufficient, and those won't expire for another few years.
I just renewed my HRP a few weeks ago.

I can confirm that CTS will not ask for your HKSAR Passport if it is a straight renewal, providing you can provide your HRP and HKID.
kevincrumbs likes this.
garykung is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread