FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   Tailors: Dream, Refinery, Fascino, Jantzen and William Cheng (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1943134-tailors-dream-refinery-fascino-jantzen-william-cheng.html)

Skydiver78 Nov 30, 2018 1:56 am

Tailors: Dream, Refinery, Fascino, Jantzen and William Cheng

Dear all,

looking for a tailor for my upcoming trip to Hong Kong - after searching different blogs and forums on my actual short list are the follwoing tailors (linked to tailor-m):As i'll get 2 or 3 suits and budget is limited the most famous ones like Chan, Gordon Yao... are not in my league.

Has someone tried one or several of them already?
Am i missing an important one in the league of the above mentioned?

Pickles Nov 30, 2018 12:45 pm

A Man Hing Cheong. Completely old school, but their stuff is top-shelf quality. I have shirts from them going back 15 years that are still good to go.

jerry a. laska Nov 30, 2018 12:45 pm

Comments about some of these can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong...tailor-29.html

Skydiver78 Nov 30, 2018 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles (Post 30484666)
A Man Hing Cheong. Completely old school, but their stuff is top-shelf quality. I have shirts from them going back 15 years that are still good to go.

Not exactly in the price league i'm looking for

Skydiver78 Nov 30, 2018 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska (Post 30484667)
Comments about some of these can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong...tailor-29.html

Checked the thread again, just little and old info about William and Jantzen. Was hoping for newer reviews and also about the other three...

Pickles Nov 30, 2018 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Skydiver78 (Post 30484903)
Not exactly in the price league i'm looking for

In Hong Kong tailoring, the maxim "you get what you pay for" applies strongly.

tentseller Nov 30, 2018 6:55 pm

If you are looking for real bespoke tailoring, get the real stuff in fabric quality and workmanship and pay for it.
Anything less is a waste of time and money. Just like people buying and wearing "A" label garments.

JClasstraveller Dec 1, 2018 1:00 pm

Over the last 10 years I’ve used William Cheng and Sons.

I’ve bought 7 suits from them over that period and the workmanship has been consistent over that time.

I wear them hard as I only have the 7 suits and they’ve done very well. The shirts have also held on well. Their customer service is excellent - once on pick up I noticed they sewed the wrong name into my suit.

When I let them know, they dropped everything and got onto finding the right sewn label and fixing the problem immediately.

Their bottom end range is good but obviously, if you pay for the next rung up of material quality, it’s very much worth it. Bottom end is $HKD3900 and next rung up $HKD4900 from memory

Skydiver78 Dec 4, 2018 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 30485803)
If you are looking for real bespoke tailoring, get the real stuff in fabric quality and workmanship and pay for it.
Anything less is a waste of time and money. Just like people buying and wearing "A" label garments.

Originally Posted by Pickles (Post 30485085)
In Hong Kong tailoring, the maxim "you get what you pay for" applies strongly.

I know, i'm not expecting to get SR-quality, but hope to get a decent quality at the named tailors...

Beside budget there are two additional topics limiting my selection:
  1. TIme: is restricted to 12 days in HKG (over new year)
  2. CMT: Was able to get nice fabrics in Italia "directly" from the mills (VBC, LP and Zegna) in Biella at a great price so the tailors have to offer CMT for 50% of the suits for first time customers

Skydiver78 Dec 4, 2018 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller (Post 30488043)
Over the last 10 years I’ve used William Cheng and Sons.

I’ve bought 7 suits from them over that period and the workmanship has been consistent over that time.

I wear them hard as I only have the 7 suits and they’ve done very well. The shirts have also held on well. Their customer service is excellent - once on pick up I noticed they sewed the wrong name into my suit.

When I let them know, they dropped everything and got onto finding the right sewn label and fixing the problem immediately.

Their bottom end range is good but obviously, if you pay for the next rung up of material quality, it’s very much worth it. Bottom end is $HKD3900 and next rung up $HKD4900 from memory

Hi JClasstraveller,

Thank you very much for your feedback!

As all your 7 suits are from William Cheng and Sons:
  1. Had you been able to compare them with other suits made by HKG-tailors (actual result of my research is that they offer the "lowest" quality from the listed tailors - but to be fair the same applies to pricing)
  2. Are yours: a) fully canvass, b) 1/2 canvassed, c) unstructured or d) fused?
  3. If you have different constructions: How do they compare among each other (as fully canvassed is "just" 500HKD on top i actually see no reason to go fused or 1/2 canvassed - maybe one unstructured)?

JClasstraveller Dec 5, 2018 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Skydiver78 (Post 30498523)
Hi JClasstraveller,

Thank you very much for your feedback!

As all your 7 suits are from William Cheng and Sons:
  1. Had you been able to compare them with other suits made by HKG-tailors (actual result of my research is that they offer the "lowest" quality from the listed tailors - but to be fair the same applies to pricing)
  2. Are yours: a) fully canvass, b) 1/2 canvassed, c) unstructured or d) fused?
  3. If you have different constructions: How do they compare among each other (as fully canvassed is "just" 500HKD on top i actually see no reason to go fused or 1/2 canvassed - maybe one unstructured)?

1. No

2. My summer suits (Australia gets extremely hot) are 1/2. The all weather, heavier winter ones I haven’t looked at. Would not be surprised if they were 1/2 either.

3. N/A

Skydiver78 Dec 6, 2018 4:10 am

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller (Post 30502860)

1. No

2. My summer suits (Australia gets extremely hot) are 1/2. The all weather, heavier winter ones I haven’t looked at. Would not be surprised if they were 1/2 either.

3. N/A

Thank you very much for the reply, unfortunatly the weather in Northern Europe is in general not as good as in Australia. For the few hot days i was thinking about one or two unstructured suits - maybe an 1/2 canvassed unstructured suit would be a good option for your climate

unstructured suit

CX HK Dec 13, 2018 12:06 am

I've made a few suits and shirts from Dream Bespoke - generally high quality, with suits starting at around 6k+, while shirts are 500+.

Shirts I have no complaints about; for suits, their fitting is more "classic" and generally "looser" than I would like, hence if you like the more modern slim fit, you may have to emphasize that more.

Generally, if it fits your budget, Dream is considered the best in its class (e.g.tier 2, below tier 1 WW Chan) by HK locals.

Skydiver78 Dec 13, 2018 1:20 am

Originally Posted by CX HK (Post 30530060)
I've made a few suits and shirts from Dream Bespoke - generally high quality, with suits starting at around 6k+, while shirts are 500+.

Shirts I have no complaints about; for suits, their fitting is more "classic" and generally "looser" than I would like, hence if you like the more modern slim fit, you may have to emphasize that more.

Generally, if it fits your budget, Dream is considered the best in its class (e.g.tier 2, below tier 1 WW Chan) by HK locals.

I had been in contact with Ricky already, he's offering CMT as well and my schedule is working for him. During my online research at the styleforum i also had the impression that he's one of the better ones in "tier 2".

At the moment i'm thinking about splitting my order between him William Cheng and/or Refinery

Isochronous Feb 11, 2019 10:21 pm

What is the price range like at A Man Hing Cheong