Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

HK hotels question

HK hotels question

Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
HK hotels question

Sadly the days of cashing out my points at the Conrad are over now that I've depleted my points. At the same time, paying $400+/night for one of the virtuoso properties isn't sustainable. Any recommendation for hotels around $200, preferably close to a MTR station near somewhere lively? Also prefer to not look out the window and see another condo's window two feet away (also don't care for harbour view). I've been to HK many times, and go there often, so doesn't have to be touristy, but preferably lively.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

How about ( just for starters)

Courtyard by Marriott ( by HKU)
Hyatt Regency TST
Hilton Garden Inn Mongkok

If you do not mind being in Sha tin there is the Courtyard and Hyatt Regency

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage EP, Bonvoy Gold Elite
I was recently at The Fleming in Wan Chai, it's near MTR and there are a bunch of nightclubs/bars in the area.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

If you do not mind being in Sha tin there is the Courtyard and Hyatt Regency
The Sha Tin Courtyard is fine (I've stayed a few times) but it's out of the way, with a 45-50 minute MTR ride to/from Central. Also, it's not at all lively.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
My parents just completed a mid-budget trip to Hong Kong. They liked the Holiday Inn Golden Mile and the Prudential Hotel - both are within a few steps of the MTR. If the Hyatt Regency isn't too expensive, they prefer that hotel. However, I haven't seen any rates below $200 usd recently for that property.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:05 pm

Including the long walk from the entrance to the platform, the Courtyard isn't all that close to the MTR. Not to say far, but not close, either.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:08 am

You might be able to get Royal Garden or even IC Grand Stanford in that price range on certain nights. Both are a good 10min walk from TST station platform, but Id much prefer East TST to being right by MTR but in a place like Mong Kok. Although Ive never stayed at Holiday Inn on Nathan Rd, thats probably a nice option for OP, as well.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:52 am
Original Poster

I'm surprised the HI Golden Mile was recommended. I've walked past this place many times, and walked in the lobby a few times too. The place seems very run down. I've stayed at the Hyatt TST and it seems like it would be miles better than the HI. True?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:01 am

I recently stayed at the Murray which was a nice hotel, but a bit far from MTR.

It was very lively, every night there seemed to be something going on there.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimmyco
I was recently at The Fleming in Wan Chai, it's near MTR and there are a bunch of nightclubs/bars in the area.
How is the Fleming? It seems like it was renovated in the past few years. Is noise from the night clubs / bars an issue at night?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by bluegatorade
I'm surprised the HI Golden Mile was recommended. I've walked past this place many times, and walked in the lobby a few times too. The place seems very run down. I've stayed at the Hyatt TST and it seems like it would be miles better than the HI. True?
When was the last time you've been there? The room my parents stayed in was recently remodeled. I think that if you are comparing a sub-$200 property with the Conrad, it's going to be disappointing no matter what. Again, I had said that we (parents and myself) prefer the Hyatt TST, but it hasn't been under $200 recently (at least not when I stayed there last month), so it depends on your price sensitivity.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Courtyard by Marriott ( by HKU)

TBS
It's not that close to the MTR, it's probably in between the HKU and Sai Ying Pun stations. About a 7 minute walk to get to the platforms. It's also not particularly lively at night given that the area is more commercial in the day for wholesalers. Although it would be livelier than most cities.

However, it does have a shuttle to Central and is very close to the tram stops and major bus routes.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
The Jen Hotel is right around the corner from HKU station and has a nice Malaysian restaurant on premises.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.