Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Airport Lounges [departing on BA]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Hong Kong Airport Lounges [departing on BA]

Hello,

Me and my wife are travelling from HKG to LHR (on the BA 2345 flight in Club World), and we would like to know which lounge would be the best to use. This is our first business class flight so we are new to the whole lounge thing. Can we visit multiple lounges? I noticed there is a Qantas lounge and new Cathay lounge next to each other. Can we use both as they are both on the OneWorld website? And which one does everyone recommend? The Qantas one with made to order food looks pretty fancy!

Thanks,

Martin
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:47 am

While I'm sure many have their own preferences, here are mine. Oh, you are free to not only visit multiple lounges, but return to a prior one, if you're so inclined. I'd probably do the following:

1. Go through security near the right of the Airport, closer to Gates D, or to the right of it. Upon clearing security, turn right, and the QF lounge is right there. Generally, this is my preferred first stop, since I find this lounge always has a great meat dish & excellent desserts with a good bar.

2. CX lounges are all different in theme and what they have to offer. The Wing is the closer one (to the left of QF's), and has the largest variety of offerings--from noodle bar, coffee bar, and large capacity seating. Mid terminal, you can find the Pier (this is my favorite one, but likely furthest from most flights), which has excellent tea offerings and best ambience, in my view. The Bridge is the most convenient for most flights, since it's there the moment you disembark from the mid terminal train after leaving the QF lounge. A pretty big lounge with excellent food selection and really good pizza, for whatever reason. There's another one, the Deck, which I don't visit often, but has a full juice bar, if memory serves. This one has an excellent view of the terminal and very close proximity to CX planes, if you're into planes.

I'm sure you'll get some differing opinions, but if you and your wife have the time to spare and so inclined, you can visit all of them. However, be warned, the food in the QF lounge is so good, you may, like me, eat too much and be unable to enjoy the food selection at the CX lounges.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The Qantas and Cathay Deck lounge should be the closest lounges to the BA departure gate ( BA flights have tended to leave from Gates 14-15 ( but check on the day). I think from some parts of the qantas lounge you can look down to the gate area ( you will have to go down one level from the lounge to the gate area)
Regards

TBS
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
{Sorry - misunderstood. The BA flight at 23:45, not BA2345! )
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help. I think we'll start of in Qantas for food and a shower, before heading to CX The Deck for a couple more drinks before boarding

Am I correct that when arriving at Heathrow there is a lounge we can use too?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mhuk01
Thanks everyone for your help. I think we'll start of in Qantas for food and a shower, before heading to CX The Deck for a couple more drinks before boarding

Am I correct that when arriving at Heathrow there is a lounge we can use too?
Hi,

BA has an arrivals lounge for CW and F pax ( and BA Golds coming off long haul flights) . It is located on the Mezzanine level of T5 landside and is accessible by an elevator once you clear customs and exit into the public arrivals area

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: CX GO, BA Gold, OZ*G, IHG Spire RA
I would suggest skipping the Deck. Yes, it's new but it's normally very packed and I would say inferior to the Qantas lounge. The best J lounge, by far is The Pier but it would be a good 10-20 walk back to the BA gate area. You can take the train there but you need to walk back. The Wing is also usually very crowded. Unless you have F lounge access, Qantas is the best in that part of the terminal.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Wing is really big though, and probably wouldn't be that crowded so late at night.
But I haven't been to the QF lounge so I can't compare.
What happened to the old Dragon Air lounge, G16 or something? Is that where QF is now? I didn't notice the other day when I went to the SkyTeam lounge which is downstairs in that area.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
The Wing is really big though, and probably wouldn't be that crowded so late at night.
But I haven't been to the QF lounge so I can't compare.
What happened to the old Dragon Air lounge, G16 or something? Is that where QF is now? I didn't notice the other day when I went to the SkyTeam lounge which is downstairs in that area.
Hi,

The G 16 lounge (dragon air) has reopened as The Deck ( it is close to the QF lounge);

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_.../the-deck.html

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I thought The Deck was the one near the Amex Centurion lounge where the concourse splits into the Y. Maybe that’s The Bridge? It’s so confusing!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
No the Deck is the renovated old G16 lounge, near Gate 16 right next to the QF lounge. The Bridge is the lounge near gate 35 where the concourse splits. Of course it's all subjective, but the Pier Business lounge is considered one of the nicest J lounges in the world. It's huge with a lot of different seating areas and food choices. It's always my first choice and even if I'm departing from gates 1-18. I make the long trek there unless really squeezed for time. The Bridge is also very nice. It's split across 2 sides with different vibes on each side. I prefer those lounges to the Wing Business which can get a bit cramped for my taste. The Deck is the smallest of CX lounges. I just went for the novelty of the new lounge after it opened, spent a few minutes then trekked on over to Pier J.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Just want to confirm: T1 and T2 are connected airside at HKG, correct? Thanks.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:50 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
No - T2 does not exist airside. It is simply a separate check-in area landside. All flights arrive and depart at the same terminal.
joe_miami likes this.

Last edited by christep; Oct 21, 2019 at 9:34 pm
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Actually does T2 still exist?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:22 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Chromie25
Actually does T2 still exist?
Yes for a few more weeks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.