Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Leave Transfer Area at HKG

Old Nov 18, 18, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys,

I was curious, I am going to be transiting HKG with a four-hour layover. My friend happens to also be transiting HKG with an 11-hour layover. If she re-clears security to meet me at the Cent lounge in the transit area, will she be able to leave the airport to explore the city? Or will she be stuck there?
Old Nov 18, 18, 7:59 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Depends
Stuck Using HKG departure-side lounges before clearing immigration
Old Nov 18, 18, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, couldn't figure out what to put to get anything to come up
Old Nov 18, 18, 8:58 pm
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Doesn't seem to be CX-related - moving to the HKG forum.

cxfan1960
CX CoMod
Old Nov 19, 18, 1:14 am
Suspended

Programs: jeweledgolfclub
What's your mate flying?
CX may let her through if she has a few perhaps 8 hours left on her transit.
Old Nov 19, 18, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
For the record - there is no transit area in HKG.

HKG only has departure and arrival, which is connected by transit security/desk.
Old Nov 19, 18, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
And once you have entered the departures area it is very difficult to get back out. So basically she needs to choose between meeting you in the departures area or going to see Hong Kong.
Old Nov 19, 18, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christep View Post
And once you have entered the departures area it is very difficult to get back out. So basically she needs to choose between meeting you in the departures area or going to see Hong Kong.
Or depending when each party arrives, the OP can exit and meet up Landside for a bit since the OP said they have 4 hrs , then the OP goes thru security and enjoys the lounges for alittle less time while their friend heads into the city. I would simply make up a place to meet say by the hotel counters on the arrival level and what time and also set a time if either party doesnt show (could be a flight delay or flight CXed , that they simply go on their merry way

that way say the OPs layover becomes 1 1/2 or 2 hrs from the 4 expected it probably wont pay to go out and if the other aprty sees that will be the case they dont have to waste their time and can head right into the city. Ive been on both ends when something hiot the fan and it was nice knowing not to hang out and waste my time
Old Nov 19, 18, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
If I guess correctly the OP may need paperwork (a PAR) in order to come landside, adding some hassle to that.
Old Nov 19, 18, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Hi guys, she is coming BOM-HKG-SFO on CX. I am DPS-HKG-SFO on HX. Both are US bound flights which takes a bit extra time and stuff making my layover not as flexible. Obviously HKG basically never has a security line and I have frequent visitor E-channel, but still probably not worth actually leaving the airport.
Old Nov 19, 18, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: jeweledgolfclub
Originally Posted by noahsilv View Post
Hi guys, she is coming BOM-HKG-SFO on CX. I am DPS-HKG-SFO on HX. Both are US bound flights which takes a bit extra time and stuff making my layover not as flexible. Obviously HKG basically never has a security line and I have frequent visitor E-channel, but still probably not worth actually leaving the airport.
I do not know if HX would help, but CX definately would assist.
Old Nov 19, 18, 4:49 pm

Leaving the airport might be a stretch but unless HKG is absolutely slammed, it should be quite quick for you to pop out. I was once stupid and didn't get my boarding pass for a "self connect" (two one-ways on CX). The transfer desk was very understaffed. I quickly scribbled out a landing card, got stamped into HK (5 minutes), ran out to the ticket counter and got my BP (10 minutes), and then went back through security to the gates (10 minutes). 30 minutes end to end with 10 minutes officially in the country.
miklcct likes this.

Search this Thread