Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

New year’s eve hong kong fireworks cruise

New year’s eve hong kong fireworks cruise

Old Nov 13, 18, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Question New year’s eve hong kong fireworks cruise

Searching for a "budget" (~ 100 USD/person with dinner or ~ 40 USD without food) option for a Fireworks cruise in HK habour 31st of December 2018. The only options i found so far had been ~ 90 USD just 2 hours cruise or starting at USD 200 with food... any suggestions?

THX!
Old Nov 13, 18, 8:33 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
It is what it is: "special event pricing". All hotel rooms and restaurants with good harbourviews are commanding a premium on firework nights as well.
Old Nov 13, 18, 9:01 pm

FYI, the "fireworks" at New Year aren't the ones from barges in the middle of the harbour, which are at Chinese New Year, July 1, and October 1 (National Day). At New Year they are "pyromusical lights". But you still pay extra on that night.

And to add, some cruise companies might not have their cruises online for that yet. But the hotels usually will.

Last edited by DragonSoul; Nov 13, 18 at 9:21 pm
Old Nov 14, 18, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
FYI, the "fireworks" at New Year aren't the ones from barges in the middle of the harbour, which are at Chinese New Year, July 1, and October 1 (National Day). At New Year they are "pyromusical lights". But you still pay extra on that night.

And to add, some cruise companies might not have their cruises online for that yet. But the hotels usually will.
Hi Dragon,

I contacted several companies already:
  • Dukling: Sold out
  • Aqua Luna: Private Event
  • Saffron Cruises: Only private charter
  • Starferry: schedule not set up yet
  • Klook: nearly what i'm looking for but only bad reviews
  • Bauhinia ~ 200USD
Do you have any secret tips or companies i could additionally contact?

THX
Old Nov 14, 18, 9:07 pm

I know that some companies only advertise in Chinese, but many also only go for the charter, which cuts down the options for the public.

This is a big night (despite naff pyrotechnics) for cruise companies. They're going to sting people for all they can, so they offer 4 to 5-hour cruises with food and drink. They aren't going to offer a quick buzz around the harbour for half an hour for a few dollars.

Actually there were some "private" boats that would do short cheap cruises (with booze) for fireworks nights and "fireworks" nights. The harbour would be filled with a sea of these small pleasure craft but the government had to clamp down on them as ... well there were bit too many deaths (not talking about the crash in Oct 2012, but earlier).

Up your budget to what the cruise will cost, or watch from the shoreline.

Alternatively, enter a lucky draw. (There's also a link to the actual cruise, which is $1,500 per adult.)
https://thehkhub.com/win-2-tickets-t...kong-yachting/
Old Nov 15, 18, 12:06 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Actually there were some "private" boats that would do short cheap cruises (with booze) for fireworks nights and "fireworks" nights. The harbour would be filled with a sea of these small pleasure craft but the government had to clamp down on them as ... well there were bit too many deaths (not talking about the crash in Oct 2012, but earlier).
I'm trying really hard to remember any incidents this millennium, and can't. (I do recall an incident or two at Stanley on Dragon Boat day though). Got any links to remind me?
Old Nov 15, 18, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by christep View Post
I'm trying really hard to remember any incidents this millennium, and can't. (I do recall an incident or two at Stanley on Dragon Boat day though). Got any links to remind me?
Pretty sure it was in the 1990s. The incident I was recalling, which was caused by the unfettered overcrowding of smaller craft (unlicensed for public use) around the fireworks barges, several people drowned, including expats. It would have been pre-handover, so CNY fireworks. Can't remember whether it was before or after the LKF tragedy in 1993.
Old Nov 16, 18, 3:00 am
Original Poster

I know that some companies only advertise in Chinese, but many also only go for the charter, which cuts down the options for the public.

This is a big night (despite naff pyrotechnics) for cruise companies. They're going to sting people for all they can, so they offer 4 to 5-hour cruises with food and drink. They aren't going to offer a quick buzz around the harbour for half an hour for a few dollars.

Up your budget to what the cruise will cost, or watch from the shoreline.

Alternatively, enter a lucky draw. (There's also a link to the actual cruise, which is $1,500 per adult.)
Thanks, will try my luck.

Just received an response from Star Ferry: most probably they'll start selling tickets mid of december ~ HKD 300 but only offline at their Harbour Ticket counter. Will contact my hotel if the concierge can get two of these tickets for me...
Old Nov 19, 18, 3:12 am
Suspended

Programs: jeweledgolfclub
The ones I remember were a few crashes for the Macau ferry w smaller boats; and the one on 1Oct some 6 years ago where an HK Electric ferry (w staff and family going to watching the fireworks) crashed with the regular ferry to Lamma where 30 pronounced dead on site plus 9 in hospital.
Old Nov 22, 18, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Just received an reply from Watertours that they set up their schedule and offering the ~2 hours tour for around 60 USD:

https://www.watertours.com.hk/upcomingevents/

Anyone have an experience with them?

THX

Last edited by Skydiver78; Nov 23, 18 at 3:39 am
Old Nov 22, 18, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Well the page you link says 2 hours, not 3... But apart from that with an open bar (and potato chips ) it seems OK. Watertours is part of Wing On, which is a long established and reputable company. Note that you get dropped off at Sai Wan Ho, but since the MTR (5-10 minutes walk from the pier) runs late that night this isn't a problem. There's also a nice walk along the waterfront westwards from Sai Wan Ho and you could then pick up the MTR at Quarry Bay.
Old Nov 23, 18, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep View Post
Well the page you link says 2 hours, not 3... But apart from that with an open bar (and potato chips ) it seems OK. Watertours is part of Wing On, which is a long established and reputable company. Note that you get dropped off at Sai Wan Ho, but since the MTR (5-10 minutes walk from the pier) runs late that night this isn't a problem. There's also a nice walk along the waterfront westwards from Sai Wan Ho and you could then pick up the MTR at Quarry Bay.
Just edited time info, must have remembered wrong...

Thanks for info and mentioning the drop-off point... seems i have to decide between them and Star Ferry (with the risk not getting a ticket) at the moment...
Old Dec 13, 18, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Follow up if someone is interested:

Received an email from Star Ferry that tickets are available by now:

https://www.starferryharbourtour.com...der&tripType=7

Search this Thread