FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   Smart Departure at HKIA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1938397-smart-departure-hkia.html)

jeonatl3 Nov 1, 2018 2:45 am

Smart Departure at HKIA

I had never used Smart Departure before, where you can exit HK using an e-channel, as according to the list online British Citizen passports aren’t eligible. (https://www.immd.gov.hk/pdf/SSD%20countries%20(Eng).pdf)

That changed the other day when I was ushered through. Somewhat sceptically I inserted my passport and it worked! It certainly saved what looked like a bit of a queue.

My entry ticket didn’t have the SD logo on it, so does anyone know if the list has changed? Or a trial? Or just a fluke? Which I doubt!

thanks

christep Nov 1, 2018 2:53 am

You missed that, strangely, the UK is listed as "Britain".

DragonSoul Nov 1, 2018 3:21 am

Originally Posted by christep (Post 30380054)
You missed that, strangely, the UK is listed as "Britain".

Which is strange as I've put down British as nationality on HK government forms, only to have to change to "UK". :rolleyes:

fliesdelta Nov 1, 2018 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by jeonatl3 (Post 30380036)
I had never used Smart Departure before, where you can exit HK using an e-channel

Is this available to anyone with a passport from a country on the list?

moondog Nov 1, 2018 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta (Post 30382093)
Is this available to anyone with a passport from a country on the list?

My boss does not have echannel and has been using this system for the past several months.

889 Nov 1, 2018 3:46 pm

Yes, everyone on the list can use it for departure, no registration required. Note that the passport slot is fussy and not well-designed: sometimes you have to make several tries. The Mainland machine is more reliable and user-friendly.

fliesdelta Nov 1, 2018 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by 889 (Post 30382638)
Yes, everyone on the list can use it for departure, no registration required. Note that the passport slot is fussy and not well-designed: sometimes you have to make several tries. The Mainland machine is more reliable and user-friendly.

Excellent.

Is the machine easy to spot? Where is it located? I'll be flying Korean Air next week, so I'll be in T1.

889 Nov 1, 2018 7:24 pm

Instead of heading to a gate with a guy at a counter, just head to one with the machine. You put your passport data page into the scanner -- like I said, the fit is awkward and it may take a few tries (press down on the page) -- then the gate opens and you stand on the marked area to have your photo taken. If everything matches, the next gate opens and you're out. Don't know what happens if the machine thinks there's not a match, but I assume you won't be stuck in the photo booth for eternity and miss your flight.

tentseller Nov 1, 2018 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by 889 (Post 30383234)
Instead of heading to a gate with a guy at a counter, just head to one with the machine. You put your passport data page into the scanner -- like I said, the fit is awkward and it may take a few tries (press down on the page) -- then the gate opens and you stand on the marked area to have your photo taken. If everything matches, the next gate opens and you're out. Don't know what happens if the machine thinks there's not a match, but I assume you won't be stuck in the photo booth for eternity and miss your flight.

There is some kind of notification to the HKIS agent that the person stuck at the closed gate has issues.

Steve M Nov 1, 2018 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by 889 (Post 30383234)
Don't know what happens if the machine thinks there's not a match, but I assume you won't be stuck in the photo booth for eternity and miss your flight.

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 30383675)
There is some kind of notification to the HKIS agent that the person stuck at the closed gate has issues.

The way eChannel gates work is that there is a HKIS agent in the immediate vicinity of the gates, and if there's an issue, they're there within seconds. It's not as if they have to come from a back office or from behind a counter. Also, they have a PDA in their hand which displays details of the traveler's history and what the problem is that is preventing the gate from opening on its own. In many cases, it takes them all of 1 second to look at the traveler, glance at the PDA, and decide it's okay. Then they hit a key on the PDA and the gate opens. It's extremely efficient. I would assume that a similar setup is in place for Smart Departure.

MW147 Nov 5, 2018 9:09 am

Originally Posted by 889 (Post 30382638)

I tried it for the first time last week, could not get it to work, eventually went to the manned stand.

ijgordon Nov 5, 2018 10:12 am

Oh, this is good to know! I've done this in Europe at FRA and AMS over the past year on a US Passport, which definitely saved me some time.
The HKG departure immigration has never been *that* long of a line, but at least it's an option.
The bigger issue IME has been at arrivals immigration (have waited an hour before :mad:), and I suppose nothing there has changed? Unfortunately it's been a bunch of years since I've traveled frequently enough to HKG to qualify for the HKIA Frequent Visitor card. :(

SQTraveller Nov 7, 2018 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by DragonSoul (Post 30380115)
Which is strange as I've put down British as nationality on HK government forms, only to have to change to "UK". :rolleyes:

A perennial problem ... I find, UK, Britain, Great Britain and England all used interchangeably in various application forms across the world.

garykung Nov 13, 2018 12:15 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 30395716)
Unfortunately it's been a bunch of years since I've traveled frequently enough to HKG to qualify for the HKIA Frequent Visitor card. :(

That program has been discontinued for a long time...

Originally Posted by SQTraveller (Post 30405923)
A perennial problem ... I find, UK, Britain, Great Britain and England all used interchangeably in various application forms across the world.

Not English...be careful with people like Scottish or Irish...:p

SQTraveller Nov 18, 2018 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 30423960)

Not English...be careful with people like Scottish or Irish...:p

Ah the joys of Britain!