Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4 days in HK, need hotel recs.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by sigma6
I checked but unfortunately Royal Plaza is not listed on the BA website anymore. I did see a ton of others there that are indeed discounted. I wonder If I can stack Citi prestige 4th free on top of it.
Definitely still on the UK site.

Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by hockey7711
I'll check out the express.
My budget is about $100 US for a single room.
I would suggest Harbour Plaza North Point on Hong Kong Island, you can get the Airport Express to Hong Kong station then get the free hotel shuttle bus (H4) to this hotel.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...Hong_Kong.html

Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
US$100 obviously doesn't get you into 5* places, but you still have a fair amount of choice. Use your favourite booking engine and look for hotels near an MTR (subway) station between TWST and Mongkok on the Kowloon side or between Kennedy Town and North Point on the HK Island side.

(Do not stay in Shatin or anywhere else in the New Territories - that is massively inconvenient for a tourist)
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:07 am

I like North Point proper, but the Harbour Plaza North Point is located in something of a dead zone between North Point and Quarry Bay, right behind the HK funeral parlour. Much better to stay further west, or even east.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:47 am
Suspended

Really? It's 2 minutes walk from an entrance to Quarry Bay MTR. If the rooms are decent then for me it's OK. Adjacency to a funeral parlour? Well I guess if you are insane then that might be an issue.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:51 am

Insane? Trying for the Silly Insult of the Year Award, are you?

Anyway, the area around there is, as I said, a dead zone. Maybe you're not familiar with it.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:06 am
Suspended

If being adjacent to a funeral parlour is at all an issue for you in choosing a hotel then the people around you have my sympathy.

I know the area quite well. There is a very nice walk along the harbourfront to Sai Wan Ho, many restaurants there; and also lots of restaurants within 10 minutes walk of the hotel.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:22 am

I can only suggest you inform yourself a bit about Hong Kong culture and HK people's attitudes. Before you pay well over the odds for a flat overlooking a cemetery or a funeral parlour. Or near the site of a grisly murder.

Because like it or not, location right next to such a place matters in Hong Kong, and matters a lot. That's the society. Right or wrong.

Just search "Harbour Plaza North Point" and "funeral parlour" on Google and look at all the reviews that mention this. E.g., "Next to funeral parlour which make us change our mind to stay here for rest of our trip."

https://sg.hotels.com/ho172700/harbo...hong-kong-sar/
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:13 am
Suspended

I've lived in HK for the last 20 years. I get it that some HKers are beyond help when it comes to these matters. But this is a forum for international travellers who, I assume (perhaps wrongly) are rather more rational.

To the OP : if you are insane then don't book the Harbour Plaza North Point. However if you are not insane then it's a very decent location and has some excellent prices.
Ace71 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:50 am

There are funeral homes or parlours in every city/town and even on high streets, for me it's not a problem but if the hotel is over looking a cemetery then I would look for another hotel.

If Hockey7711 wants a good value hotel then Harbour Plaza is a good option, if Hockey7711 is very superstitious then the Harbour Plaza may not be suitable.

There is over 1663 reviews on TripAdvisor, 23% rate it Excellent, 51% Very Good, 20% Average, 4% Poor and 2% Terrible, also only 22 reviewers have mentioned the funeral home and only 15 have mentioned funeral parlour!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by 889
I can only suggest you inform yourself a bit about Hong Kong culture and HK people's attitudes. Before you pay well over the odds for a flat overlooking a cemetery or a funeral parlour. Or near the site of a grisly murder.

Because like it or not, location right next to such a place matters in Hong Kong, and matters a lot. That's the society. Right or wrong.

Just search "Harbour Plaza North Point" and "funeral parlour" on Google and look at all the reviews that mention this. E.g., "Next to funeral parlour which make us change our mind to stay here for rest of our trip."

https://sg.hotels.com/ho172700/harbo...hong-kong-sar/
I clicked on your link, there is no mention of Funeral Home/Parlour in the "What's around", what is mentioned is Hung Hom Star Ferry Pier - 28 min walk.
Who can walk across the harbour (as there is no bridge or foot tunnel) from Hong Kong Island to Kowloon
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Ace71
Who can walk across the harbour (as there is no bridge or foot tunnel) from Hong Kong Island to Kowloon
It's been done once, and we're still waiting for the guy to do it again after over two thousand years.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
It's been done once, and we're still waiting for the guy to do it again after over two thousand years.
But it wasn't over Victoria harbour!!!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: Continental
The funeral home doesn't bother me.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:09 pm

When I checked hotel price in a recent search, it appears several holiday inn express hotels provide decent price/value. If my memory serves, the room rate was around 100usd, plus you get free breakfast (albeit could be bland), most are located near the subway/metro with a short walk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.