4 days in HK, need hotel recs.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4 days in HK, need hotel recs.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:43 pm

Sorry, I can't resist posting another review:

"Crazy! This hotel is located next to the Hong Kong's largest funeral building. Many dead bodies are tranposrted in and out of the building every day! At night, you can hear chinese funeral terrible music. Feel very annoying and anxious! Don't go there unless you like to sleep near dead bodies!"

https://en.tripadvisor.com.hk/ShowUs...Hong_Kong.html
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Found it! my initial searched only had 20 hits on BA.com, now it pulls over 50. I'll call Citi concierge to see if they can book from this site and credit me a 4th night free.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by 889
Sorry, I can't resist posting another review:

"Crazy! This hotel is located next to the Hong Kong's largest funeral building. Many dead bodies are tranposrted in and out of the building every day! At night, you can hear chinese funeral terrible music. Feel very annoying and anxious! Don't go there unless you like to sleep near dead bodies!"

https://en.tripadvisor.com.hk/ShowUs...Hong_Kong.html
The reviewer has made 3 contributions since 2011 and all 3 ratings seem to be out of anger/frustration, even blaming Google maps for not giving the right directions "Talking about the location. Even it was in the shopping district, there was no clear signage or banner for you to locate. I used Google map but it even spent me 30 minutes to locate the hotel after I walked out from the Metro".

The review on the Harbour Plaza was written June 2011, Hockey7711 has been made aware that there is a funeral home/parlour near by and has said "doesn't bother me."
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:29 am

So what. The funeral home was there in 2011 and it's there now.

And so what again. Other people besides the OP read these threads for guidance.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by 889
So what. The funeral home was there in 2011 and it's there now.

And so what again. Other people besides the OP read these threads for guidance.
Yes the funeral home is still there, but in 7 years the area could be very different compared to 2011 i.e. instead of needing to walk pass the funeral home for the bus stop or shops, people can walk the other way or the funeral home had a revamp making it look less obvious.

TripAdvisor reviewers have mentioned the funeral home, the fact that 51% said the hotel was Excellent and 20% said Very Good proves the funeral home did not affect their stay at the Harbour Plaza.
Like I stated before the OP (and any other reader) has been made aware there is a funeral home near by, the OP is not bothered about it.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Ace71
Yes the funeral home is still there, but in 7 years the area could be very different compared to 2011 i.e. instead of needing to walk pass the funeral home for the bus stop or shops, people can walk the other way or the funeral home had a revamp making it look less obvious.
Plus the OP can brag he stayed in the dead centre of town on his trip.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:31 am

Yes, and if he wants to relax a bit, he can always stop by the hotel's Ghoul-Ghoul Bar!

Those who prefer Airbnb might want to check the Haunted Flats list first:

https://www.squarefoot.com.hk/haunted/
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: ANA,Qantas,asiamiles,Royal Skies,Enrich
Regal Kowloon which is nearby Intercontinental Grand Stanford might have some good deal on Family room and they provide free shuttle bus to the airport.Room is a bit cramped but location wise good. The last time I stayed with their member deal it’s around HKD1200
Holiday Inn Golden Mile night sometimes have a good deal as well depending on your date
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I didn't look to see what is on the BA website, but a good option for families on a budget is the Holiday Inn Golden Mile in TST. It's really close to the MTR and have rooms with 2 double beds - my parents and my brother stayed there for several nights in Hong Kong and they really liked the spaciousness of the rooms. They also really like the Hyatt Regency TST, but that is significantly more. I am not sure why a family room is needed with 3 beds if it is just OP + wife + daughter - I am assuming a room with 2 doubles is okay?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
I didn't look to see what is on the BA website, but a good option for families on a budget is the Holiday Inn Golden Mile in TST. It's really close to the MTR and have rooms with 2 double beds - my parents and my brother stayed there for several nights in Hong Kong and they really liked the spaciousness of the rooms. They also really like the Hyatt Regency TST, but that is significantly more. I am not sure why a family room is needed with 3 beds if it is just OP + wife + daughter - I am assuming a room with 2 doubles is okay?
I booked the Holiday Inn GM. The triple refers to 3 twin bed setups they have in HK like at the Cordis. 2 Doubles will suffice. I saw they recently renovated some of the rooms, so I hope they can complete the renovation before I get there in July. I will also be staying at the Holiday Inn Cotai in Macau. I have status through CC so I hope it helps,maybe an upgrade and late check out?
TravelLawyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.