Reload this Page >

One week in Hong Kong. Advice?

Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

So I'll be in Hong Kong for about a week later this month. I would prefer to do sightseeing in the day time and shopping at night. What are the must see sights? Any malls worth visiting? Good places to get cheap food? Any discounts for transit? Any other passes I should consider buying? Which prepaid carrier for roaming? Are there any simcards that allows me to top up online and keep the card active and maybe roam around the world? Where is the best place to exchange my USD, Euros, GBP to HKD?

Thanks.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:48 am

What are the must see sights? Harbour skyline. Aberdeen. The Peak. The Peak Tram. Lantau. Cable Car. Buddha. Cheung Chau. Tsim Sha Tsui waterfront. Sai Kung. Happy Valley Racecourse for night races. Lots of places. We also have some pretty good museums.

Any malls worth visiting? No. If you fancy experiencing losing the will to live then New Town Plaza in Shatin... or it could be just me it does that to.

Good places to get cheap food? All over.

Any discounts for transit? Buy a On Loan Octopus Card, which provides slightly cheaper MTR trips. Can also be used on trams, buses, minibuses, ferries. Deposit (HK$50) is refundable. There's also the Concession Octopus card, which will get you bus rides for HK$2, but you have to be over 65 - and be able to prove it.

Any other passes I should consider buying? Check Klook.com (also app) for vouchers.

Which prepaid carrier for roaming? China Mobile, CSL, 3, any of them really.

Are there any simcards that allows me to top up online and keep the card active and maybe roam around the world? Loads, e.g. International SIM Card Prepaid Roaming SIM from OneSimCard , but you might want to do an internet search for them. Hong Kong won't necessarily have "cheap" option.

Where is the best place to exchange my USD, Euros, GBP to HKD? Worldwide House in Central, perhaps, unless you're exchanging a larger amount, in which case Berlin Exchange.
Marschel and Dalo like this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:48 am

You don't really need to make a trip to Worldwide House for exchange. (Unless you're looking for rupiah.) Plenty of small exchange places w/o commission everywhere. Rates are posted and you can easily compare a few shops first.

The walk-through aviary in Hong Kong Park is a great experience, as is the very local shopping district in Sham Shui Po. Ferry rides to the Outlying Islands are also a must. Nice short walks and some food on Lamma especially, shame about the power plant.
Dalo likes this.

Last edited by 889; Oct 5, 2018 at 12:21 pm
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I would also visit the Chi lin nunnery and nan lian garden

Regards

TBS
tentseller likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Your food and shopping questions were addressed in this thread from earlier this year:
Your favourite spots for food and shopping in Hong Kong?
Currency exchange, see here:
Best place to buy HKD in Hong Kong?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by lsquare
What are the must see sights?
Google it.

Any malls worth visiting?
None unless they are must see sights. Shopping in Hong Kong are expensive.

Good places to get cheap food?
How cheap are we talking about?

Any discounts for transit? Any other passes I should consider buying?
No. You need an Octopus card, a single card solution to almost all public transportation in Hong Kong.

Which prepaid carrier for roaming? Are there any simcards that allows me to top up online and keep the card active and maybe roam around the world?
They are pretty similar. The only difference are pricing.

Where is the best place to exchange my USD, Euros, GBP to HKD?
No comment.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by 889
You don't really need to make a trip to Worldwide House for exchange. (Unless you're looking for rupiah.) Plenty of small exchange places w/o commission everywhere. Rates are posted and you can easily compare a few shops first.

The walk-through aviary in Hong Kong Park is a great experience, as is the very local shopping district in Sham Shui Po. Ferry rides to the Outlying Islands are also a must. Nice short walks and some food on Lamma especially, shame about the power plant.
What about the power plant?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:25 pm

It's a small island with a massive power plant attached, or vice versa. The plant lights Hong Kong Island.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
What are the must see sights?Thanks.
Go up the peak, walk around the flower market, the night market, head out to Big Buddha. There is so much to do, you can't go wrong wondering around.

Take a look at my RTW and Thailand trip reports for other suggestions and directions.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:43 am

I'm not sure that Big Buddha is a must.

For me, the must for first-time visitor would be: Star Ferry, The Peak (Peak Tram at least one way) including the walk on the Harlech/Lugard loop, Mid-levels escalator, TST promenade, 8pm light show, Bird/Flower Mkt, Hong Kong Park, Temple Night Market and/or Ladies' Market, dim sum numerous times, upscale hotel dinner buffet, cha chaan teng (Tsui Wah).

Beyond that: jog on Bowen Road and/or TST waterfront, one of the outlying islands (probably Lamma), Lin Nunnery, Sai Kung, Dragon's Back, Ngong Ping, Macau, Stanley, Disney, Ocean Park, afternoon tea at a nice hotel, wonton noodle soup.
SLC-YYZ, RumPatrol and kaka like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:21 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
say -999 for tsui wah.
for cr@p service but decent and quick food (for the experience), go to australian dairy cafe at Jordan.
or any random cha chaan teng in the neighbourhood.

and yeh, if you have too much time and want to go to a shopping mall, shatin new town plaza above the shatin station will be a self explanatory experience of "how amazing chinese are". make sure you go to the nearby shatin plaza for an even better experience.

and yes, @DragonSoul explained it right. and FT mods do not like how the phenomenon is called in the local terms so i cannot explain it here. the other FT did it quite well.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by kaka
say -999 for tsui wah.
for cr@p service but decent and quick food (for the experience), go to australian dairy cafe at Jordan.
and yes, @DragonSoul explained it right. and FT mods do not like how the phenomenon is called in the local terms so i cannot explain it here. the other FT did it quite well.
Scrambled eggs sandwich, toasted @ AUS dairy.

The FT mods demanded retraction of the term used in the phenomenon or risk suspension.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by kaka
say -999 for tsui wah.
Tsui Wah's quality has gone downhill in years and even back then, it was mainly a fun thing to do after a night of drinking in SoHo or Old Lan (Lan Kwai Fong). However, for a first time visitor, Tsui Wah is sufficient and easier to navigate than a truly local cha chaan teng. Being here in the States, I would gladly have some Tsui Wah if I could right now!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
Tsui Wah's quality has gone downhill in years and even back then, it was mainly a fun thing to do after a night of drinking in SoHo or Old Lan (Lan Kwai Fong). However, for a first time visitor, Tsui Wah is sufficient and easier to navigate than a truly local cha chaan teng. Being here in the States, I would gladly have some Tsui Wah if I could right now!
no..... thanks.
tsui wah's sole purpose is for that post-drinking session before extra fun. otherwise its a place where you can be guaranteed bad food at ard 20 usd which probably wouldnt break the bank.
if the main purpose is food or local experience, go elsewhere.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tentseller
Scrambled eggs sandwich, toasted @ AUS dairy.

The FT mods demanded retraction of the term used in the phenomenon or risk suspension.
was it related to the experience in tsui wah?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.