FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   No more secondary screening flying from HKG -> USA?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1930450-no-more-secondary-screening-flying-hkg-usa.html)

kcramp858 Sep 13, 2018 4:23 pm

No more secondary screening flying from HKG -> USA??

Every time I make the flight from HKG to LAX, they perform a secondary inspection as you are getting the plane, in which they search for water bottles or any liquids (note this is AFTER security, and JUST before you get on the plane).

They said that this is a restriction on USA bound flights.

Two weeks ago, I flew the same flight back HKG to LAX and they did not perform the second inspection, and I was allowed to carry water on without delay. (AA)

My father was then flying HKG to SFO a week later (this last Monday), and he also commented that the secondary inspection was skipped. (United)

Upon arrival to SFO, he also commented that after clearing customs for his transfer to SAN, there was no transfer security checkpoint.

Is there a new agreement between HKG and USA? Anyone have datapoints?

cxfan1960 Sep 13, 2018 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by kcramp858 (Post 30201089)
Every time I make the flight from HKG to LAX, they perform a secondary inspection as you are getting the plane, in which they search for water bottles or any liquids (note this is AFTER security, and JUST before you get on the plane).

They said that this is a restriction on USA bound flights.

Two weeks ago, I flew the same flight back HKG to LAX and they did not perform the second inspection, and I was allowed to carry water on without delay. (AA)

My father was then flying HKG to SFO a week later (this last Monday), and he also commented that the secondary inspection was skipped. (United)

Upon arrival to SFO, he also commented that after clearing customs for his transfer to SAN, there was no transfer security checkpoint.

Is there a new agreement between HKG and USA? Anyone have datapoints?

I haven't flown HKG-SFO for several months until last Monday. IIRC, there was no secondary check at HKG anymore. It was even stranger in SFO. I used a GE kiosk (it doesn't matter anyway). The immigration officer collected the form and I went to pick up my luggage without a form. And I exited customs without passing any customs officer.

HkCaGu Sep 14, 2018 9:53 am

That is not possible. He must have passed through TSA.

US CBP is simplifying the process. At more and more POEs Immigration officers are doing customs screening now.

UAPremExecflyer Sep 15, 2018 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu (Post 30203413)
That is not possible. He must have passed through TSA.

US CBP is simplifying the process. At more and more POEs Immigration officers are doing customs screening now.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prac...screening.html

garykung Sep 18, 2018 6:10 pm

My experience was different.

I asked about the secondary. Then I was targeted for secondary. Those jerks at HKG...

Are you sure?

gpia Sep 18, 2018 11:29 pm

Flew HKG-LAX on 25 August and indeed no more search for liquids. The usual questions from AVSECO prior to scanning the BP only

FriendlySkies Dec 18, 2018 5:39 am

No liquids check for UA HKG-SFO last Tuesday. One of the UA GAs was asking the security questions prior to boarding.

synthkeys Dec 20, 2018 8:25 am

Just flew DEC 19 from HKG to EWR, no secondary check for liquids. I was flying J and got to the gate just as Y was boarding. I had a half empty bottle of water in my hand and said "Oh, I need to throw out the water before boarding". The agent said it was no longer necessary, so I carried my water on board.

Also no additional screening before the check-in counter. The agent told me the primary screening is no longer being done only screening before boarding. I also noticed a different procedure when entering the security area after check-in. There is a new facial recognition system when handing boarding pass and passport to security agents, in addition to scanning passport and checking passport.

christep Dec 20, 2018 9:52 am

... because so many threats to planes have come from people pretending to be someone else!