Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Transit at HKG on different tickets with checked bags

Old Sep 8, 18, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Hi, I am flying into HKG with Cathay Dragon at 12.45pm, and flying out to Doha with Qatar on the same day at 7.10pm. Can anyone advise if I will have to leave airside or if I am able to collect bags and drop them to a Qatar transit desk without going through immigration? I don't think the Qatar land side desk opens until 4pm so I'd like to avoid waiting for 3 hours land side if possible.

Thanks
Old Sep 8, 18, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I believe cathay and cathay dragon will check bags through to another oneworld airline on separate tickets . They did this on my cathay to british airways fkight in april so there will be no need to go landside.

regards

tba
Old Sep 8, 18, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Oh brilliant, hopefully they will be willing to do the same in this case.
Old Sep 8, 18, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi
it should be straighforward. Just provide the qatar flight details when dropping your bags off at the cathay dragon desk.

regards
.tbs
Old Sep 12, 18, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
if they dont check through you can still try contact the transfer desk at HKIA and see if they could retag the bags. i've had them done it.
Old Sep 13, 18, 4:38 pm
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by brokenspirit View Post
Hi, I am flying into HKG with Cathay Dragon at 12.45pm, and flying out to Doha with Qatar on the same day at 7.10pm. Can anyone advise if I will have to leave airside or if I am able to collect bags and drop them to a Qatar transit desk without going through immigration? I don't think the Qatar land side desk opens until 4pm so I'd like to avoid waiting for 3 hours land side if possible.
Luggage carousel is after immigration. If you ever need to collect your bags, you will need to pass immigration, collect bags, go through customs, go upstairs and re-checkin.

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
I believe cathay and cathay dragon will check bags through to another oneworld airline on separate tickets . They did this on my cathay to british airways fkight in april so there will be no need to go landside.
That should be the case.

Originally Posted by kaka View Post
if they dont check through you can still try contact the transfer desk at HKIA and see if they could retag the bags. i've had them done it.
That was the case in the past, but I heard it cannot be done anymore.
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

I guess we shall see. will try all of the above, that is assuming the flights don't get cancelled because of the weather :s

Search this Thread