Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Transit at HKG on different tickets with checked bags

Transit at HKG on different tickets with checked bags

Old Sep 8, 18, 8:06 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 93
Transit at HKG on different tickets with checked bags

Hi, I am flying into HKG with Cathay Dragon at 12.45pm, and flying out to Doha with Qatar on the same day at 7.10pm. Can anyone advise if I will have to leave airside or if I am able to collect bags and drop them to a Qatar transit desk without going through immigration? I don't think the Qatar land side desk opens until 4pm so I'd like to avoid waiting for 3 hours land side if possible.

Thanks
brokenspirit is offline  
Old Sep 8, 18, 9:44 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Posts: 13,077
Hi,

I believe cathay and cathay dragon will check bags through to another oneworld airline on separate tickets . They did this on my cathay to british airways fkight in april so there will be no need to go landside.

regards

tba
The _Banking_Scot is online now  
Old Sep 8, 18, 10:46 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 93
Oh brilliant, hopefully they will be willing to do the same in this case.
brokenspirit is offline  
Old Sep 8, 18, 11:22 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Posts: 13,077
Hi
it should be straighforward. Just provide the qatar flight details when dropping your bags off at the cathay dragon desk.

regards
.tbs
The _Banking_Scot is online now  
Old Sep 12, 18, 2:00 pm
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,959
if they dont check through you can still try contact the transfer desk at HKIA and see if they could retag the bags. i've had them done it.
kaka is offline  
Old Sep 13, 18, 4:38 pm
  #6  
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Posts: 8,162
Originally Posted by brokenspirit View Post
Hi, I am flying into HKG with Cathay Dragon at 12.45pm, and flying out to Doha with Qatar on the same day at 7.10pm. Can anyone advise if I will have to leave airside or if I am able to collect bags and drop them to a Qatar transit desk without going through immigration? I don't think the Qatar land side desk opens until 4pm so I'd like to avoid waiting for 3 hours land side if possible.
Luggage carousel is after immigration. If you ever need to collect your bags, you will need to pass immigration, collect bags, go through customs, go upstairs and re-checkin.

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
I believe cathay and cathay dragon will check bags through to another oneworld airline on separate tickets . They did this on my cathay to british airways fkight in april so there will be no need to go landside.
That should be the case.

Originally Posted by kaka View Post
if they dont check through you can still try contact the transfer desk at HKIA and see if they could retag the bags. i've had them done it.
That was the case in the past, but I heard it cannot be done anymore.
cxfan1960 is offline  
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:31 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 93
I guess we shall see. will try all of the above, that is assuming the flights don't get cancelled because of the weather :s
brokenspirit is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread