FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   Transit at HKG on different tickets with checked bags (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1929565-transit-hkg-different-tickets-checked-bags.html)

brokenspirit Sep 8, 2018 8:06 am

Transit at HKG on different tickets with checked bags

Hi, I am flying into HKG with Cathay Dragon at 12.45pm, and flying out to Doha with Qatar on the same day at 7.10pm. Can anyone advise if I will have to leave airside or if I am able to collect bags and drop them to a Qatar transit desk without going through immigration? I don't think the Qatar land side desk opens until 4pm so I'd like to avoid waiting for 3 hours land side if possible.

Thanks

The _Banking_Scot Sep 8, 2018 9:44 am

Hi,

I believe cathay and cathay dragon will check bags through to another oneworld airline on separate tickets . They did this on my cathay to british airways fkight in april so there will be no need to go landside.

regards

tba

brokenspirit Sep 8, 2018 10:46 am

Oh brilliant, hopefully they will be willing to do the same in this case.

The _Banking_Scot Sep 8, 2018 11:22 am

Hi
it should be straighforward. Just provide the qatar flight details when dropping your bags off at the cathay dragon desk.

regards
.tbs

kaka Sep 12, 2018 2:00 pm

if they dont check through you can still try contact the transfer desk at HKIA and see if they could retag the bags. i've had them done it.

cxfan1960 Sep 13, 2018 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by brokenspirit (Post 30181823)
Hi, I am flying into HKG with Cathay Dragon at 12.45pm, and flying out to Doha with Qatar on the same day at 7.10pm. Can anyone advise if I will have to leave airside or if I am able to collect bags and drop them to a Qatar transit desk without going through immigration? I don't think the Qatar land side desk opens until 4pm so I'd like to avoid waiting for 3 hours land side if possible.

Luggage carousel is after immigration. If you ever need to collect your bags, you will need to pass immigration, collect bags, go through customs, go upstairs and re-checkin.

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 30182122)
I believe cathay and cathay dragon will check bags through to another oneworld airline on separate tickets . They did this on my cathay to british airways fkight in april so there will be no need to go landside.

That should be the case.

Originally Posted by kaka (Post 30196998)
if they dont check through you can still try contact the transfer desk at HKIA and see if they could retag the bags. i've had them done it.

That was the case in the past, but I heard it cannot be done anymore.

brokenspirit Sep 13, 2018 10:31 pm

I guess we shall see. will try all of the above, that is assuming the flights don't get cancelled because of the weather :s