Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Regal Airport vs Marriott Skycity

Regal Airport vs Marriott Skycity

Reply

Old Sep 10, 18, 8:17 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,833
I definitely don't see the Regal's convenience being worth anything extra as I consider the advantage minimal. Given that the OP is stressing being a bit fussy about a clean room etc, I would definitely stick with the Marriott. Since it is usually just my wife and I, I often forget the logistics of traveling with kids.
mcgahat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 18, 9:02 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CGK/LAX/SUB
Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Posts: 1,067
Last time I stayed at the regal it took me about 15-20 minutes to check in as there was a huge line to check-in.
gpeso8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 18, 11:21 pm
  #18  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA, Hilton
Programs: United, Hilton
Posts: 3,224
Okay, thanks everyone!
I will stick with the Marriott!
evergrn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 18, 7:12 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott PP, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 4,672
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
Okay, thanks everyone!
I will stick with the Marriott!
Good call. It's a nice hotel.
Diplomatico is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 18, 11:43 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 8,990
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
Problem with Novotel is that their twin beds are way too narrow to be shared by an adult and a child. I do recall the breakfast at Marriott being very good. Including breakfast for 4, Marriott (as would Regal) will exceed 2,000HKD total for the night. Makes me wonder if I should just suck it up and pay the 3,000HKG for the first night to start our stay at Conrad right from the get-go (at Conrad, breakfast is free). Then again I really don't want to take a late-night taxi down Lantau Hwy after a scary experience with a sleepy driver a few years ago.
Unless your hk stay is fairly long just go to Conrad - moving hotels wastes too much time and effort especially with kids
azepine00 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 18, 6:53 pm
  #21  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 22,319
FWIW, I last stayed at the regal ~3 years ago and have stayed several other times over the years. It’s always been totally fine, pretty nice I’d even say. Definitely more convenient to walk the 3 minutes than take a shuttle. But the Marriott is pretty nice too.
jerry a. laska likes this.
ijgordon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 18, 4:35 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 151
Iíve only stayed at Regal before, so canít comment on Marriott. Itís only short walk from the terminal, very convenient. We stayed at a suite before and itís absolutely fine for a short stay. Breakfast is ok. Express checkout is great. When we travel with our little boy, convenience always wins!

Also, if you are taking AE to Hong Kong station, donít bother buying the tickets at the airport, just get on the train and pay at the other end. Many people think they need a ticket to travel, but you donít, you just need one to get out.
rontse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 18, 8:13 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, ICN, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,335
Originally Posted by rontse View Post
Iíve only stayed at Regal before, so canít comment on Marriott. Itís only short walk from the terminal, very convenient. We stayed at a suite before and itís absolutely fine for a short stay. Breakfast is ok. Express checkout is great. When we travel with our little boy, convenience always wins!

Also, if you are taking AE to Hong Kong station, donít bother buying the tickets at the airport, just get on the train and pay at the other end. Many people think they need a ticket to travel, but you donít, you just need one to get out.
The Regal is part of the airport, enclosed airconditioned access from T1.

You can buy online AE ticket while on the train to Hong Kong station. Klook.com offer them at a discounted price. The only cheaper ticket is same day return using Octopus.
tentseller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 18, 2:31 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,833
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
The Regal is part of the airport, enclosed airconditioned access from T1.

You can buy online AE ticket while on the train to Hong Kong station. Klook.com offer them at a discounted price. The only cheaper ticket is same day return using Octopus.
Yep, I will second the Kook option. You can do it on your mobile phone and use the bar code to enter/exit. Love it.
mcgahat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 18, 3:19 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,024
Arriving in Hong Kong at 06:30 AM 7-December. We want / need a room for about 4 to 5 hours. No problem paying full price. Do I book for the 7th departing on the 8th and hope for an early check in? Or do I book the 6th with check out on the 7th. I am Marriott platinum if it matters.

I would prefer the Regal, for only the reason that there is no shuttle involved.
Its my Wife and I, and the Plaza Premium Arrivals lounge is booked, and as its 2 of us, the cost of 2x 4hour sleeping rooms is about equal to a hotel anyways.
returnoftheyeti is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 18, 11:40 pm
  #26  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Programs: MP, BR
Posts: 275
Regal offers a daytime rate that caters to travelers like you. Check their website. But then if you have Marriott Platinum it might be worthwhile for you to give them a call and see what they can do.
Chromie25 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 18, 7:39 am
  #27  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 22,319
Typically if you want a guaranteed early check in, you book the night before your arrival.
ijgordon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 18, 4:22 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVP
Posts: 424
Quick add on to this thread...wife and I will finishing our vacation in Vietnam and arriving around 9:00PM and arenít do to fly out until 3:30PM the following day, not ideal but only one flight out of CXR and using points flying out of HKG. Do we just recoup at the Regal and maybe head into the city for a few hours or is there a little better option close to the airport and sleep in then head to the airport to lounge it/shop? Wife isnít happy with spending this much ďwasteĒ time of our trip so Iím looking for guidance. We are spending two nights downtown before we leave for Vietnam, so Iím theory weíd have had some experience already on the trip in HKG. Thanks.
SFore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 18, 4:27 pm
  #29  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Posts: 12,347
Originally Posted by SFore View Post
Quick add on to this thread...wife and I will finishing our vacation in Vietnam and arriving around 9:00PM and arenít do to fly out until 3:30PM,

the following day, not ideal but only one flight out of CXR and using points flying out of HKG. Do we just recoup at the Regal and maybe head into the city for a few hours or is there a little better option close to the airport and sleep in then head to the airport to lounge it/shop? Wife isnít happy with spending this much ďwasteĒ time of our trip so Iím looking for guidance. We are spending two nights downtown before we leave for Vietnam, so Iím theory weíd have had some experience already on the trip in HKG. Thanks.
Hi,

I would probably just go straight downtown on the airport express or taxi and get a hotel close to the MTR station then the next morning enjoy hong kong then check in at the Airport express station ( if your airline has check in at the station ) and head back just after noon.

Regards

TBS
The _Banking_Scot is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 18, 4:59 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVP
Posts: 424
Im betting that hotel cost would go up heading downtown? We are flying SQ out of HKG.
SFore is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread