SIM Card for HK and Bali?

Old Aug 6, 18, 3:08 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold
SIM Card for HK and Bali?

Hello,

I'll be in HK for almost a month - and I will be taking a side trip to Bali.

Could anyone recommend a SIM card purchasable in HK with a data plan that would work with these locations?

Thanks.
Old Aug 6, 18, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Did you try doing a search before posting?
"SIM HK" or "SIM Hong" = (among many) Unicom Hongkong SIM "Cross Border King Dual Extra"
Data sim card in Hong Kong?
Best SIM card to get
Old Aug 6, 18, 9:43 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold
I did some searches, but I couldn't find anything that referred to Bali.
Old Aug 6, 18, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtc View Post
Hello,

Could anyone recommend a SIM card purchasable in HK with a data plan that would work with these locations?

Thanks.
Why not get a separate SIM in Bali?
Old Aug 6, 18, 10:56 pm

You'd have to find one of those multiple countries SIM cards, or buy in each. Klook offers one for Bali (collect from Klook rep at airport) for HK$60 (US$7.60).
Old Aug 7, 18, 11:40 pm

Data is very cheap in Indonesia. Money-wise you'd almost certainly be better off buying a SIM and data in Bali. But shop around.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Aug 8, 18, 1:26 am

Check Kartu As in HK. You also get an Indonesian number.
Old Aug 8, 18, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dtc View Post
Hello,

Thanks.
where r u staying in hk?
Old Aug 8, 18, 9:07 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
SIM2FLY works in HK and Bali. But do you want a Thai number? Most (all?) good value multi-country SIM cards are based outside of HK with non-HK numbers.

On the other hand most HK prepaid SIM cards have roaming packages(add-on) for Bali. Package not cheap.
Old Aug 13, 18, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Why not get a separate SIM in Bali?
I went to Singapore and Bali in June.

SIM card situation is very complicated there. Different rates for different regions, specials for certain times of the day.

You can get SIM card and vouchers at convenience and grocery stores all over the island. However, you have to register the SIM with your passport and the only places to get this done and have it properly activated is at carrier stores and they're mostly in Denpasar, the capital. If you go to an outlying resort, you may have to drive through a lot of traffic to get to one of these stores.

Supposedly the govt. will deactivate SIM cards which aren't properly registered and activated.

So I had gone to Singapore first and there, I just bought a card from SingTel which provides 2 GB of data in Bali. It cost about $5-7 more than a regular card which would only be used in Singapore.

Speeds weren't that great in Nusa Dua or Seminyak.
Old Nov 2, 18, 5:22 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Bali is an interesting place for SIM cards, as you will certainly get a foreigner rate if you are a tourist, which is generally 50-100% more expensive than it can/should be. Sometimes if you're lucky and you find a more off-the-beaten path shop (perhaps not in the center of Kuta or Seminyak, more like in Denpasar or other parts), you can get something closer to normal price.

The last time I went to Bali, I transited a few days in Jakarta first. Buying a SIM card right outside the arrivals area of CGK airport is super easy with the major telcos all represented by official? (official looking at least) kiosks. 3GB + unlimited Youtube for 30 days for IDR 50K (~USD $3.29) Then, when I went to Bali I didn't have to worry about getting a SIM and it all worked fine.

That being said, I was previously able to get something like 2-3GB good for 7 days for IDR 80-100K. Often the packages are much larger I think because it seems many stay for long periods in Bali.

Search this Thread