Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help - Transit Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Help - Transit Hong Kong

All - Thanks for the help. Thought this was the best place. But move if you think. ;

I have a son transiting Hong Kong this evening. He is flying KMI (Miyazaki Japan) - Hong Kong with 22 hour layover. In Japan, they told him he would need to stay in transit area. Not sure what that is....

Several times we have had 24 or hours less layover in HKG with not problem.

USA passport holder. Thoughts?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:52 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Not really a Cathay Pacific question, but if your question is whether he can leave the airport during the layover, then there won't be a problem to do that.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Is he unaccompanied minor? and is the onward flight on same carrier (I assume is Hong Kong Airlines/HX instead of CX)?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:00 am
Original Poster

He is 19. so not unaccompanied minor. not sure why they told him this. he checked a bag and they said he would need to 'remain in the transit aria in hong kong'

he was planning on going into the city.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Complete bollocks. Unless he lacks a visa or something there is no reason to stay in the transit area. Before I moved to HK, I did a transit through HK and left to go to see the city. Many people do so.

EDIT - where is he actually flying to? I am wondering if this is one of those daft new rules for flying to the USA - but it's a long shot. I would imagine it's more the Japanese airlines applying Japanese rules to HK or just wanting to ensure they keep all their passengers corralled in one place to avoid losing them!
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
japanese agents tend to say thing erred on conservative side or simply lost in translation. i dont see how anyone enforce your son to remain in sterlile area

99.99% sure he can get out.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by sdfamily
he checked a bag and they said he would need to 'remain in the transit aria in hong kong'
Perhaps the agent meant to say that the bag would remain in the "transit area" if it had been through-checked. Otherwise, agree with others that USA passport holders should have no problem entering Hong Kong.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Book a hotel, and possibly a local trip, for your son.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:10 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Just don't enter the transit area if you want to head into the city first https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...migration.html
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by fairhsa
Complete bollocks. Unless he lacks a visa or something there is no reason to stay in the transit area. Before I moved to HK, I did a transit through HK and left to go to see the city. Many people do so.

EDIT - where is he actually flying to? I am wondering if this is one of those daft new rules for flying to the USA - but it's a long shot. I would imagine it's more the Japanese airlines applying Japanese rules to HK or just wanting to ensure they keep all their passengers corralled in one place to avoid losing them!
I did HYD - HKG - SFO with a 10 hour layover in HK. I just exited and explored the city then went back to HKG. I
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:03 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I don't it'll ever be a problem given how long the transit is.. they're probably going for the safe side. Also given the small operations they have at Miyazaki, perhaps there is a chance they are not used to seeing layovers this long? Thus are confused about the possibility of leaving the transit area? There's always a possibility i guess...

Also I'm also assuming (with the others) that this is on HX? CX/KA doesn't fly to Miyazaki.
kaka likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Just don't enter the transit area if you want to head into the city first https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...migration.html
He could if hes got lounges. It will just take a bit (allocate 1 hour for having cx organize someone to sort him out) of his 22 hours.
that is, if hes flying cx and has lounge access. Otherwise, go into town.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for responding. It was no problem to go into city. Bags were checked through. We'll see when he departs today how things go....
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by sxc
Not really a Cathay Pacific question, but if your question is whether he can leave the airport during the layover, then there won't be a problem to do that.
I agree - moving to the HKG forum.

cxfan1960
CX CoMod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.