FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   2 days in Hong Kong - need advice (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1916424-2-days-hong-kong-need-advice.html)

sh76us Jun 25, 2018 8:01 pm

2 days in Hong Kong - need advice

Thread title says it all. I have 2 full days (3 nights) in Hong Kong in the Fall (when the weather should be more manageable). I've read through the guide book and rifled through the zillion options for tours, but I'm overwhelmed by the amount of available info and choices.

Here's my thing: I'm not a big food or drink guy. I eat to live, but don't do food tourism (I just don't care that much what good dim sum tastes like and I can barely taste the difference between a steakhouse steak and one thrown on the barbecue at the pool). I'm also totally not into night life. When I travel, I like to do the early-to-bed-early-to-rise thing. Things are usually less crowded in the morning anyway. I like to see impressive things like historical buildings, views, architecture, etc. I love history and I'm definitely a nature guy, but I'm not a big hiker/sports guy. 1-2 hour walk on the mountain? Sure. 6 hour hike? No thanks. Boat ride? Yes. Canoeing in a lake? Sure. Kayaking on whitewater or Sea? Not so much.

This will be my first time ever in the far east and very possibly my last. I have to go with that in mind, so I want to see what there is to see.

I'm willing to spend a few bucks, but don't want to go crazy. What I mean by that is I'd like to keep the hotel to about $150/night if possible.

I would like to take guided tours (group is fine) as I'll never learn to navigate a new city well enough to really see it in 2 days. Again, I'll spend a couple of hundred bucks on tours, but not much more than that.

All that said, I'm looking for general advice, including things like:

- where to stay
- walking tours of HK Island and.or Kowloon - are they worth it? Which are the best?
- Is a day tour to Lantau worth it?
- Ferry tour to Macau? (sounds like overkill, but remember, I may never be back)
- Any other really good tours out there?

Thanks!!

889 Jun 26, 2018 4:12 am

-- Stay. Too many options to discuss. Just make sure you're near an MTR station.

-- Tours. I don't think you need a tour to visit Hong Kong. In any event, it's a place that lends itself to just strolling about and poking your head into places here and there. Keep your eyes open and you'll certainly find interesting stuff. For a classic and crowded Hong Kong-style shopping district, head to Sham Shui Po.

-- Excursions. For a two-day stay in HK forget Macau and Lantau.

-- Other. Early evening ferry to Lamma Island for dinner and a stroll and back. Nice easy walk on HK Island starting up at Black's Link and ending down at Wanchai. Aviary at Hong Kong Park. Sit up front on the upper deck of the tram and watch HK Island pass by. Walk up Nathan Road, but don't forget to explore the side streets.

lhrsfo Jun 27, 2018 3:23 pm

Just get the Monocle guide and follow the suggestions in it. They address most of the OP’s requirements.

number_6 Jun 27, 2018 4:43 pm

Personally I like Kowloon as it is more chinese and exotic, while Central is more british; both are charming. Cordis hotel at Mong Kok MRT and the attached vertical shopping mall is great, the latter has a very high atrium with long escalator that is almost a tourist attraction, all in air conditioned comfort. Outside is great cheap shopping including Ladies Market a few blocks away (full of fake handbags of varying quality), as well as more exotic markets like the Bird market (songbirds in cages) and Goldifish market. Shops are grouped together by street (so one street may be all linoleum shops, the next is knives, etc.). Just walking around Hong Kong is a great adventure. Crossing what's left of the famous harbour on Star Ferry is a must, and dirt cheap (I say what's left as about half the harbour is now landfill and new highrise buildings).

bitterproffit Jun 27, 2018 5:25 pm

My two FULL days:

Rode the mid level escalators. Took the star ferry across to Kowloon. Wandered around Mongkok. Took the star ferry a few more times. Watched the nightly light show from the promenade at Tsim Sha Tsui. Took a bus up to Victoria Peak. Wandered around Admiralty and Central. I stayed at the Conrad on Hong Kong Island. I went to the top of the ICC to the Sky 100 Observation Deck.

It was pretty awesome.

Chromie25 Jun 27, 2018 8:00 pm

If this is a once in a lifetime trip I actually suggest doing a day tour to Macau, especially if you're interested in the architecture. It's only an hour boat ride away and it still has some interesting architecture left from the Portuguese colonial days. Quite a contrast from Hong Kong.

RumPatrol Jun 27, 2018 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit (Post 29914018)
My two FULL days:

Rode the mid level escalators. Took the star ferry across to Kowloon. Wandered around Mongkok. Took the star ferry a few more times. Watched the nightly light show from the promenade at Tsim Sha Tsui. Took a bus up to Victoria Peak. Wandered around Admiralty and Central. I stayed at the Conrad on Hong Kong Island. I went to the top of the ICC to the Sky 100 Observation Deck.

It was pretty awesome.

I would echo all of this. Any time I have any free time in HKG, I still do these things as if it were my first time. Sometimes I'll just ride the Star Ferry back and forth a bunch of times in a row right around the twilight/dusk hours to see the lights of the city start coming on. Would definitely catch the light show from TST at least once and would definitely do Victoria Peak. Skip Macau and skip Lantau (although I absolutely LOVE Lantau).

My first time to HKG I wandered around until I found the mid level escalators, went up as far as I could go and then walked back down through the various neighborhoods until I found something I recognized. I may or may not have been very lost for a while, but I figured as long as I was on a downslope I'd eventually get somewhere familiar. At one point I ended up near a Catholic church with so many expensive cars parked out front I was convinced it was frequented by the mob.

If I had two days in HKG, knowing I'd never be able to come back, I would say the can't miss things are Victoria Peak, riding the Star Ferry a few times (ideally both during day and night) and see the light show from TST. Those were the 3 key things for me when I first went to HKG and I still enjoy them as if it were the first time. In between those 3 things, I'd just roam around Central and stop in anything that looked or smelled interesting. The mid level escalators aren't vital but if you're in Central already, you might as well hit it up. I don't think tours are necessary for HKG, but I've never been on a guided tour of any city in my life. Just isn't my style, I prefer to just roam around.

As for where to stay, it really doesn't matter as long as you're near a MTR station. I personally prefer staying on the TST side, but Central might be more convenient.

CGRA Jul 7, 2018 7:13 pm

I love the big bus tours. You can do the island and Kowloon tours in less than a day.
Take a taxi to go up to the peak and the tram to go down (not the other way)
Instead of paying for the observatory at the ICC you can pay for a drink at the RC.
Enjoy your trip and do get lost in the small streets

dulcamara Jul 8, 2018 12:21 pm

It'll be really hot until November.

Agree completely on the peak, the escalator, and the light show from TST. My favorite place for the light show is the bar at the intercontinental hotel.

Bird street and the jade market are worth seeing on the Kowloon side. Yeung Kei is very much worth a trip on the island side.

The Shangri-La on the Kowloon side is right on the TST tunnels to the trains and is far less expensive that the one on the island.

cxfan1960 Jul 8, 2018 4:34 pm

The strongest typhoon in that region this millennium was Haiyan, which swept through the Philippines and Hainan in November 2013. I was in Hong Kong at that time, but Hong Kong was luckily spared. It was bad enough that the name Haiyan was retired from the typhoon naming list. While severe weather is far from over in the fall, the chance of encountering bad weather is not very high.

As for your questions:
- where to stay? Mostly a personal choice. I would suggest Tsimshatsui (TST).
- walking tours of HK Island and.or Kowloon - are they worth it? Which are the best? There are several historical buildings around Central.
- Is a day tour to Lantau worth it? Yes, to the Big Buddha, but there can be long lines for the cable car especially during weekends and holidays.
- Ferry tour to Macau? (sounds like overkill, but remember, I may never be back) You may not have enough time.
- Any other really good tours out there? Victoria Peak, Stanley Market... You can also check here: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...hong-kong.html

RumPatrol Jul 8, 2018 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960 (Post 29951764)
The strongest typhoon in that region this millennium was Haiyan, which swept through the Philippines and Hainan in November 2013. I was in Hong Kong at that time, but Hong Kong was luckily spared. It was bad enough that the name Haiyan was retired from the typhoon naming list. While severe weather is far from over in the fall, the chance of encountering bad weather is not very high.

I was in HKG last August during a typhoon (Hato). Signal 10 was raised and everything shut down but it was actually a fun experience, even though it was a devastating and deadly storm for the region. I had a great view of Hong Kong Island from my room at the Intercontinental and once I was able to escape the Intercontinental through the service entrance, I ended up walking around a mostly deserted TST after the worst of it blew through. A deserted Hong Kong is a unique sight.

Found a random restaurant that stayed open and then ended up spending the rest of the day walking around the TST promenade as the weather cleared and people started coming out. Light show was cancelled that night unfortunately but it was still a fun day. A second typhoon came a few days later and caused me some travel issues, a 7 hour delay flying from Hong Kong to Shanghai and my bag arrived in Shanghai completely soaked because China Eastern had left it exposed to the typhoon all afternoon and evening. That was a less fun experience.

Depending how early in the fall the trip would be, the weather can be oppressively hot and humid but air conditioning is never more than a few steps away and the typhoon risk diminishes the later you go. I wouldn't hesitate to go to HK in the fall.

moondog Jul 8, 2018 7:53 pm

I would stay on the island myself (it's better to be in HK than to look at HK).

cxfan1960 Jul 8, 2018 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by RumPatrol (Post 29952264)
I was in HKG last August during a typhoon (Hato). Signal 10 was raised and everything shut down but it was actually a fun experience, even though it was a devastating and deadly storm for the region. I had a great view of Hong Kong Island from my room at the Intercontinental and once I was able to escape the Intercontinental through the service entrance, I ended up walking around a mostly deserted TST after the worst of it blew through. A deserted Hong Kong is a unique sight.

Found a random restaurant that stayed open and then ended up spending the rest of the day walking around the TST promenade as the weather cleared and people started coming out. Light show was cancelled that night unfortunately but it was still a fun day. A second typhoon came a few days later and caused me some travel issues, a 7 hour delay flying from Hong Kong to Shanghai and my bag arrived in Shanghai completely soaked because China Eastern had left it exposed to the typhoon all afternoon and evening. That was a less fun experience.

Depending how early in the fall the trip would be, the weather can be oppressively hot and humid but air conditioning is never more than a few steps away and the typhoon risk diminishes the later you go. I wouldn't hesitate to go to HK in the fall.

The chance for typhoon is much higher in August than in the fall. OP should be okay, but bad weather may still happen.

I landed in HKG from SFO the day historical high temperature record was broken. Then came Signal #10 for Hato the next day. I left for Japan the following day after the signals were lowered. Another storm hit Hong Kong when I was in Japan, and signals were all lowered before my flight to HKG. I was very lucky. It is never my favorite time to travel to Hong Kong in summer.

RumPatrol Jul 8, 2018 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960 (Post 29952550)
The chance for typhoon is much higher in August than in the fall. OP should be okay, but bad weather may still happen.

I landed in HKG from SFO the day historical high temperature record was broken. Then came Signal #10 for Hato the next day. I left for Japan the following day after the signals were lowered. Another storm hit Hong Kong when I was in Japan, and signals were all lowered before my flight to HKG. I was very lucky. It is never my favorite time to travel to Hong Kong in summer.

Sounds similar to me, I had just gotten to Hong Kong two days prior from SIN and then was just leaving for PVG when the second storm came along. All things considered, I got pretty lucky as well. That time of year wouldn't be my first choice for HK but it isn't so bad if you can stand the heat and have a little travel flexibility. I'd rather deal with HK in the summer than Shanghai, that's for sure.

moondog Jul 8, 2018 10:50 pm

Shanghai hasn't gotten hot yet this year.