Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 days in Hong Kong - need advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by moondog
Shanghai hasn't gotten hot yet this year.
Last summer kicked my butt and I say that as someone who lives in South Florida. It was 35-40 C every day I was there. Sadly it dropped to 27 C the day I left. Haven't been back yet this summer.

To be fair, most of Asia was brutal last summer, more brutal than usual it seemed like but maybe that is just recency bias talking.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RumPatrol
Last summer kicked my butt and I say that as someone who lives in South Florida. It was 35-40 C every day I was there. Sadly it dropped to 27 C the day I left. Haven't been back yet this summer.

To be fair, most of Asia was brutal last summer, more brutal than usual it seemed like but maybe that is just recency bias talking.
Well, it's 32 here today, and it appears we have at least 10 more days of this in store. But, HK is even hotter, and has that hill problem, which can kick heat stroke into overdrive.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
actually, no. it's not 32 for the next couple of days. but its gonna be rainy here (no typhoon nonetheless)
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sh76us
All that said, I'm looking for general advice, including things like:

- where to stay
- walking tours of HK Island and.or Kowloon - are they worth it? Which are the best?
- Is a day tour to Lantau worth it?
- Ferry tour to Macau? (sounds like overkill, but remember, I may never be back)
- Any other really good tours out there?

Thanks!!
you have 2 days, skip macau. it's just full of chinese tourist that you want to avoid. other than that you'll get the architecture in lisboa and vegas (there are enough chinese at either place now it actually feels like macau with a bit more non-yellow people).

- walking tours: i'm lazy. i'll take the tram on the Island side. if you go to the end (Esp the eastern end) you'll get a feel of how local life is like. Get off, walk, get back on again. If you want to save time, take the metro back to the central area.

- Lantau: If seeing budda is your thing, sure. or better, go to the fishing village of Tai O also on Lantau (1 hour bus or ferry ride from the last stop of the orange line) instead of the old hk on the main island that is from the 60s, u'll find the hong kong that's a fishing village. I personally think only Tai O and Buddah is worth visiting (Unless you want to stay at a camp site).
... alternatively, catch a minibus at mong kok and go to Sai Kung. it's a hybrid between a modern place and a village. yet you're less restricted on the public transport schedule (and better connections compared to Lantau had you decide to stay in the kowloon side)

- where to stay for 150USD. I believe corbis is over budget... but depends on what you want, sai ying pun, shek tong tsui, wanchai, mong kok, jordan these places are where you'd be in the center of everything yet within budget. If you are feeling budgety, look for things on Patterson Street or Chungking mansion. Mind you, they are basic.

- food, i shall throw you some suggestions later, or you can look up here. I've found a few decent overnight/late eateries as compared to the list i've last compiled here.

Just to think about it, for a walking tour, look for one that takes you to the Sham Shui Po/Shek Kip Mei area. I might be able to hook you up with some that brings you to see some "homes". PM me.

Last edited by kaka; Jul 10, 2018 at 12:53 pm
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Chromie25
If this is a once in a lifetime trip I actually suggest doing a day tour to Macau, especially if you're interested in the architecture. It's only an hour boat ride away and it still has some interesting architecture left from the Portuguese colonial days. Quite a contrast from Hong Kong.
very correct but afterall it does look a very portuguese... as in they look like the Pastries de Belem building by Lisboa. heehe. Or Sintra with 200x people on the street.
I've lived there, I like the place where tourist dont go, but if you want to have a feel of that place the replacement would be portugal.

As to HK it's tokyo with less polite people and a real suburb (asian) country park area, or taipei with more modern area, or London with more city life, or NYC but newer and w more HK people.

it really depends on what the OP wants to see from his trip.
tentseller likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Agree with everyone's else's suggestion to stay near the MTR. I really liked our room at the Ritz Carlton, but the MTR there does not connect to the main lines and you'll have to transfer. We love the location of the Conrad, but we've had inconsistent service. And if you want an amazing view, stay at the InterContinental HK and pay up to have a harbour view - the MTR is not attached, but close enough that it's not terrible.

Eliminating food from the equation takes away 75% of my usual suggestions. But if you want to do full on touristy stuff - Ladies Street Market and Victoria's Peak are pretty quintessential. I personally like the star ferry and do the regular commuting routes for some good scenic water views, but they have a longer more expansive tourist route as well. I think if you dedicate a day to Lantau, that's probably going to be a good option as well with the fishing village + big Buddha.
kaka and RumPatrol like this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love the cable car up to the Giant Buddha (though we didn't actually climb the steps, it was too hot!). That's probably at least a half day trip though, so may not be the best use of time. I think you can buy advance tickets online for a certain time and thus not have to wait in a long line, although I'm sure if you get there at opening time it won't be bad.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I love the cable car up to the Giant Buddha (though we didn't actually climb the steps, it was too hot!). That's probably at least a half day trip though, so may not be the best use of time. I think you can buy advance tickets online for a certain time and thus not have to wait in a long line, although I'm sure if you get there at opening time it won't be bad.
I loved doing that as well and have climbed all the steps. The view is gorgeous. If I only had 2 days in HK I'd probably skip it but that cable car ride is fantastic by itself.

ijgordon likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Stanley Market is definitely touristy, but I like going there.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
In line with the poster than walked down/back from the Mid-Levels - a mapping/driving app on your phone ensures you won't get "lost" and might even suggest some "sights" along the way. And there are some options to just sit and watch the sea and people at the Stanley markets...

The Lantau cable car ride should not be missed - but take the bus one way. You might even see some cattle on the side of the road....

Happy wandering
Fred
RumPatrol likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RumPatrol
I loved doing that as well and have climbed all the steps. The view is gorgeous. If I only had 2 days in HK I'd probably skip it but that cable car ride is fantastic by itself.
Except the buddah is only built in 1993 and has no historical relevance to the area. Tai O is a fishing village that was build on piles from 100+ years ago.
but yeh, the cable car doesnt go there.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:05 pm

With two days and your interests, I'd spend one day exploring Kowloon and one on Hong Kong Island. Kowloon side - visit the Chi Lin Nunnery near Diamond Hill MRT, then take the MRT to Wong Tai Sin and visit the temple there. Both are highly significant architecturally and culturally and can be done even if raining - there is enough indoors. A good walk on the Kowloon side could include the Bird Market, Flower Market, Goldfish Market, Ladies Market. Wander around Mong Kok - interesting, some areas more gritty than others but very "real" feeling. (solo female traveler - I've never felt threatened). Google some suggested routes.

Hong Kong Island - You should also include a Victoria Peak visit starting early in the day to avoid long lines. the Peak is a must-see. The Victoria Peak Walk is a gentle walk with stunning views and a chance to experience nature. Mid-levels suggestions are good. Walk along Cat Street - curio and "antique" shops (as well as true antique and art galleries), Mao kitsch, etc. Financial district to get a feel of modern HK architecture and on down to the Court of Final Appeal, a colonial structure. You might fit a stroll through Hong Kong Park with an attractive aviary. Riding the tram the length of HK Island will give you an over view.

Lantau Island with big Buddha is very "Disney-like". If it appeals to you, you can't go wrong visiting, but with two days, more authenticity may be what you want. Tai O is fascinating and probably a vanishing way of life, but transport will require a large time allocation. I don't recommend either site in rainy weather.

Read up on the MRT - very easy to use and quite convenient. Good suggestions on taking the Star Ferry. Lots of sites, your tour books are a good guide - pick your interests. You might have a couple plans that can be switched out depending on weather. Enjoy. I've spent many days/weeks exploring HK in the last couple years. Very easy to do without tours - before leaving the MRT stations, check for the exit you need to reach your destination. Throughout the stations, there are boards with lists of sites near each exit. Once outside, look for the signs (near the street) pointing to various tourist sites.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Also read up on the MTR, which is Hong Kong's rail/subway system (MRT is Singapore's!)
DragonSoul likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:19 am

Great catch, christep! This last year, I have made as many HKG SIN stops as HKG alone. Leaving for SIN tomorrow, guess my mind was already there. Yes, OP, you will find the MTR info easy to find and MTR easy to use in HK. Better than Singapore’s MRT, although it is also excellent.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by christep
Also read up on the MTR, which is Hong Kong's rail/subway system (MRT is Singapore's!)
Originally Posted by FlyerfromORD
Great catch, christep! This last year, I have made as many HKG SIN stops as HKG alone. Leaving for SIN tomorrow, guess my mind was already there. Yes, OP, you will find the MTR info easy to find and MTR easy to use in HK. Better than Singapore’s MRT, although it is also excellent.
Very easy to tell the two apart.
SG - SMRT - Smart

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.