Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Planning a trip from SFO to HKG with flexible schedule, high price fluctuation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

I am planning a vacation plan from San Francisco to Hong Kong or Guangzhou in Sept-Nov. Just recently there were some good deals over these few months from multiple airlines direct flights around $400 dollars RT. I wasn't able to confirm my trip at the time and fast forward 3 weeks now the cheapest RT flight through United costs $560 for all these months, prices for dates changed in tandem. I had been monitoring the prices daily through google flights and the prices had been up and up for the past two weeks or so. Given that my schedule is quite flexible, is it wise to wait to see if it dips back down or generally that bracket of prices is already sold out so ticket prices will only rise onward?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 3:36 am

Delta recently announced that it's pulling out of Hong Kong as of October 4. Reduced competition usually means higher fares.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
It was a special fare sale/war a few weeks ago initiated by Hong Kong Airlines. Delta pulling out had nothing to do with the fares increasing out of SFO. It was just the sale ending, and now prices are back to the normal levels.
garykung likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:10 pm

Fare War! >> Delta Pulls Out! >> Fares Increase!

Airlines don't instigate fare wars out of the goodness of their hearts to benefit passengers.

Econ 10:

Reduced competition usually means higher fares.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by exe163
Given that my schedule is quite flexible, is it wise to wait to see if it dips back down or generally that bracket of prices is already sold out so ticket prices will only rise onward?
The issue with the HX sale was it requires a minimum 1-week stay. So many were not able to make the deal work because most aiming for days, even hours, but not a week.

So the question to you is whether you will stay for a week if the sale resumes?

Also - the fare could be lower due to reduced demand.

I would wait if I were you.

Originally Posted by 889
Delta recently announced that it's pulling out of Hong Kong as of October 4. Reduced competition usually means higher fares.
DL has a minimal impact to SFO-HKG fare, as SFO has more than enough nonstop service, as well as services with stops. Usually DL was only able to win customers before its price was significantly lower than UA.

Also - if you really want to talk about competition, DL's withdrawal has no impact to the U.S.-HKG market because 3 additional flights are added in this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.