Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Connecting in HKG from LAX to Philippines

Old Jun 5, 18, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your time and apologies if this is not the correct forum to post my question in.

I plan on traveling next summer to Angeles City/Clark in the Philippines and plan on taking the Cathay Dragon (KA) flight from HKG to CRK that departs HKG at 0800 for 1000 arrival at CRK.

I will be flying Cathay Pacific from LAX or SFO on one of the early morning arrivals (0545 or 0610); assuming that all goes well, do you think that I'll have enough time to get from Terminal 1 to wherever KA flights depart? I believe KA flights to CRK depart from the North Satellite Concourse.

I won't be traveling with checked bags and when I called Cathay Pacific about having to clear customs in between flights, they stated that I do not need to pass through immigration control on my way to the connecting flight.

Your thoughts, please. Is this too little time between flights?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

/R,

NearBeer
Old Jun 5, 18, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
It's fine. Minimum Connecting Time at HKG for CX-CX/KA flights is 50 minutes. You will just do an airside transit. No need to pass through immigration or customs - just a security check between arrivals and departures. So you are fine unless your inbound is over an hour late. If you are booked on a single ticket then CX will obviously protect you if the inbound is seriously delayed, which might involve putting you on a later Cebu Pacific flight to Clark that day or offering you a flight to Manila (which is just a couple of hours by land transport from Angeles).
nearbeer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 18, 12:03 pm

Others will chime in, but to start this off: you’ll be fine.

Always given everything is right around on time, there’s nothing to worry about. There will be no immigration involved, and transfer is smooth enough through various transit points along the way. If you’re late, staff will be waiting for you at the arrival gate and direct you towards your departure gate.

HKG is nothing like LAX, JFK or SEA where a different Terminal can feel/be like a different airport altogether (actually HKG only has one Terminal for departures plus two concourses). Everything’s well connected and accessible within +/- 20 minutes. HKG is possibly the most efficient major international airport.
nearbeer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 18, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by gpia View Post
Others will chime in, but to start this off: you’ll be fine.

Always given everything is right around on time, there’s nothing to worry about. There will be no immigration involved, and transfer is smooth enough through various transit points along the way. If you’re late, staff will be waiting for you at the arrival gate and direct you towards your departure gate.

HKG is nothing like LAX, JFK or SEA where a different Terminal can feel/be like a different airport altogether (actually HKG only has one Terminal for departures plus two concourses). Everything’s well connected and accessible within +/- 20 minutes. HKG is possibly the most efficient major international airport.
This is correct, but don't get thrown when you see signs for Terminal 2.
nearbeer likes this.
Old Jun 6, 18, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Great info! Thank you everyone who responded; I appreciate the help.

Still haven't found my next cold one,

NearBeer
Old Jun 6, 18, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
This is correct, but don't get thrown when you see signs for Terminal 2.
But are there any signs for Terminal whilst doing an airside transit? I'd be surprised if so...
Old Jun 7, 18, 9:18 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Spire
You'll be fine. But if on the odd chance it's late... I would push for another airline flight to CRK. MNL is an AWFUL airport, and I personally don't think there is easy ground transportation from Manila to Angles CIty or CRK. If someone knows of some easy way... please share.
Old Jun 8, 18, 11:27 am
Original Poster

There is no way I am flying into Manila; even when I lived in the PI as a military brat back in the 80s it was a terrible experience trying to fly in/out of the country from MNL.

If my gate times next summer don't allow for a connection in HKG, I will shell out the extra AA miles to book a direct flight for ATL-DOH then DOH-CRK.

Not to mention getting ground transportation from the airport to Angeles City...that is another headache I don't want.

Thank you everyone for your advice!

/R,
NearBeer
Gongzuokuang likes this.

Search this Thread