Wiki Posts
Search

Reaching late night w/family - options

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by amitdi
I booked a lodge in ChungKing mansion.
You can't be serious.
Chungking Mansion is where one would stay just to cross off a bucketlist item of crazy things to do.
Do that when your kid's not with you.
Chromie25 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, the last time I arrived HKIA late in the evening (probably ~10pm) the immigration line was over an hour, probably close to 90 minutes. I was kind of furious. This was ~3 years ago, so maybe it's gotten better? The good news was that our bags were waiting for us, so it still wasn't 2 hours to curbside.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
I actually think differently - kaka did point out the reality.

Uber's business model actually can effectively prevent scammers. However, the reality remains simple and unchanged - Uber is illegal in Hong Kong.

The HKSAR Government has done nothing much to prevent passengers getting scammed. It is simply because taxi licensing is sort of a joke.
a taxi speeding or taking a discounted fare or not goving exact change is equally illegal- yet uber is not illegal to the passenger, just the driver. So the onus is not on (us). And if u are scammed by the uber driver, ure not SOL, whilst you would be for a taxi
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by kaka
And if u are scammed by the uber driver, ure not SOL, whilst you would be for a taxi
Eh? If you are scammed by an Uber driver you are reliant on some far away company which is operating in HK illegally. If you are scammed by a taxi driver you call the police and go into the HK legal system. I know which one I'd rather rely on!
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:19 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by christep
Eh? If you are scammed by an Uber driver you are reliant on some far away company which is operating in HK illegally. If you are scammed by a taxi driver you call the police and go into the HK legal system. I know which one I'd rather rely on!
except one is easier to deal with than the other. guess which one that is? (I've experienced both, and for taxis it would just stop somewhere)
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
I just wanted to update regarding my trip. I booked something on AirBnB as bkp for 1 day in case Canada Hotel did not accommodate me late at night. So, we went by A21 and reached at about 1:15am. We had to buzz but the receptionist woke up and took us in. So I didnt have to use my AirBnB backup option. The room was quite small. Regarding Chungking, from a fire safety, it looked congested and dangerous. However, otherwise the place looked quite safe to me (from a theft/mugging perspective. It just looks scary to the eye and the elevators are slow. But I found a lot of Indian people doing business there, few of them from Mumbai (my hometown).

Hong Kong in general is a very busy place. The language issue was more prevalent than I imagined. But since I had local SIM with data, and done good research, it didnt bother much. Also, there are signs everywhere, so you rarely need to ask your way around. Overall, the trip was very enjoyable and we had great memories.

Thanks for all of you who helped answer my initial questions...appreciate it.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So you weren't joking about staying at Chungking Mansions?
kevincrumbs likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.