Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Reaching late night w/family - options

Reaching late night w/family - options

Old Jun 6, 18, 4:18 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by christep View Post
I feel kaka exaggerates the situation dramatically. Granted I don't take taxis from the airport, but in 20 years of taking them regularly around town I can think of only one occasion where the driver tried to take a "scenic" route, plus a couple where there wouldn't go cross-harbour when asked.

However, there are two blackspots: taxis hanging around at the lower Peak Tram station seem quite often to be scammers, and there is the problem of taxis at Lan Kwai Fong late on a Friday and Saturday night declining short rides (or demanding high fixed prices). A standard rule of taxis anywhere is "you pick the taxi, don't take a taxi that picks you". The luggage fees are part of the standard regulated published fare, they aren't a scam.

I'd far, far rather use a HK taxi than take a ride in some unknown, unlicensed and uninsured person's private vehicle. Uber drivers are just as likely to fall asleep (or have a heart attack and die while driving, killing other people, as happened recently) as taxi drivers.
seriously? you're more likely to run into an overworked cabbie who has worked since 4pm than uber. why we are less likely to run into scammers is because we go to residential areas (and i think you'd tell them where to go in cantonese?).
for some reason when i run into scammers was from the airport (fuged meter) or going to a hotel (asked for 100HKD from central to GH some 6 years ago). it had only gotten worse in recent years. and look at the number of injuries on hailed taxis vs uber? BTW, uber customers are insured in hong kong (they have a 3rd party insurance policy). the driver, no. but we are not the driver, are we?
Old Jun 6, 18, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the inputs. I am leaning towards taxi (with caution) option.
Old Jun 6, 18, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I feel kaka exaggerates the situation dramatically.
I actually think differently - kaka did point out the reality.

Originally Posted by kaka View Post
i would NOT recommend a taxi in hong kong because they are very good scammers. either take an uber or get a train ticket using klook. at least taking the cab at the train station would limit your cab exposure on high speed routes, i would still prefer taking an uber there because taxis would scam charge you per piece of luggage anyways, not uber.
Uber's business model actually can effectively prevent scammers. However, the reality remains simple and unchanged - Uber is illegal in Hong Kong.

Originally Posted by kaka View Post
PS: the cabbie problem in hong kong is a systematic one, so i dont think looking at one in the eye and decide would change much. taking the train would defo avoid the gpia situation
The HKSAR Government has done nothing much to prevent passengers getting scammed. It is simply because taxi licensing is sort of a joke.
kaka likes this.
Old Jun 6, 18, 7:11 pm

I feel kaka exaggerates the situation dramatically. Granted I don't take taxis from the airport, but in 20 years of taking them regularly around town I can think of only one occasion where the driver tried to take a "scenic" route, plus a couple where there wouldn't go cross-harbour when asked.

However, there are two blackspots: taxis hanging around at the lower Peak Tram station seem quite often to be scammers, and there is the problem of taxis at Lan Kwai Fong late on a Friday and Saturday night declining short rides (or demanding high fixed prices). A standard rule of taxis anywhere is "you pick the taxi, don't take a taxi that picks you". The luggage fees are part of the standard regulated published fare, they aren't a scam.

I'd far, far rather use a HK taxi than take a ride in some unknown, unlicensed and uninsured person's private vehicle. Uber drivers are just as likely to fall asleep (or have a heart attack and die while driving, killing other people, as happened recently) as taxi drivers.
I have to agree with this. Although I don't live there, I've been there over a dozen times and must have taken a cab well over 100 times, more times than in any other country. Not once have I been scammed AFTER getting in the car in HK. I've actually been scammed in Jpn of all places recently. But never in HK.

HKG cab drivers can be a real pain for other reasons. They refuse to take you if they don't like your destination (big problem during shift changeover time). They always want to take you to HKIA when you tell them you just want to go to Kowloon Station. I've seen those drivers demanding ridiculous fixed prices at lower Peak Tram and Soho, as mentioned above. However, that's a situation where they're trying to scam you with full disclosure in advance.
Old Jun 9, 18, 1:15 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
OP, have you selected a Kowloon hotel yet?

I have taken the A21 bus to Kowloon several times and like it. I usually walk only 1-2 blocks from my stops to the hotels.
Mr Bean likes this.
Old Jun 10, 18, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
There is a lack of enforcement of the Taxi driver in HK, so they are breaking rules, i.e. refusing ride not in their best interests, demanding extra fees and certain routes.
There is also no regulation to the number of hours one can drive before mandatory "rest". There is also no rule regulating part-time driver's hours after a full day shift of other work. All these came to light after a part-time bus driver who has just finished a shift as a cook drove a part-time bus route and caused a major accident around Chinese New Year 2018.

My rules:
If you need to take a taxi at night, ask a few questions to test the driver's alertness. One sign of a tired driver is the cigarette smoke in the car.
I tend to favour Uber when getting home from the airport as most of the driver with [assenger vans has just dropped friends or family off and is looking for some "income" to cover the return trip.

If you want something pre-booked, Klook.com has pre-book meet in terminal service that is quite reasonable. $370 to the ISland north side for a Tesla or $510 for an Alphard van.
kaka and Mr Bean like this.
Old Jun 12, 18, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roberto99 View Post
OP, have you selected a Kowloon hotel yet?

I have taken the A21 bus to Kowloon several times and like it. I usually walk only 1-2 blocks from my stops to the hotels.
I decided to deplete my credit card welcome bonus instead of using SPG. I booked a lodge in ChungKing mansion. I see that the A21 goes all the way till ChungKing Mansion on Nathan Rd. But the hotel says check-in only till 11:30pm. I emailed them saying that I will be late. Do they lodges have 24X7 desks. Its Canada Hotel...if that makes a difference.
Old Jun 12, 18, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
er, "hotel" is a bit of a stretch! It's a few small rooms in a warren of a high rise. You aren't exactly dealing with a Sheraton here! If they say they go home at 11:30 then I guess that's when they go home!
Old Jun 12, 18, 10:31 am

Yikes, OP, I am not sure that is the best of choices. Even with budget contraints, I would not pick anything at Chungking Mansions for a family. While I haven’t stayed at this particular establishment, I’ve seen other “hotels” inside this place. They are something inbetween youth hostels/ tiny airbnbs really. So better make sure you get a firm confirmation by email that someone will be waiting for you.

Or give us your budget and let us help find you something better.
kevincrumbs likes this.
Old Jun 12, 18, 11:42 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I would not stay in Chungking Mansion with a 5 year old. Too shady. The elevators were narrow and took forever. And I feel like the building doesn't respect fire codes. I ate there couple of times and I saw stairs were blocked off with locks.

There are plenty of cheap-ish hotels in HK. Or a Chase card and book with UR points.
Old Jun 12, 18, 8:38 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by amitdi View Post
I decided to deplete my credit card welcome bonus instead of using SPG. I booked a lodge in ChungKing mansion. I see that the A21 goes all the way till ChungKing Mansion on Nathan Rd. But the hotel says check-in only till 11:30pm. I emailed them saying that I will be late. Do they lodges have 24X7 desks. Its Canada Hotel...if that makes a difference.
Uh... that may not be a great choice.

My next trip requires some frugality and I decided on Metro Winner Hotel Website

It's only a block off of the A21 bus stop number 9.

And a return ticket only costs HKD 55 (about USD 7) for adults.
Old Jun 13, 18, 9:56 am

For a family, a taxi is the most convenient option and wouldn't be that expensive when compared to the A21 bus. Whatever you do, don't take the Airport Express to go to TST - It has it's uses, but going to Kowloon generally isn't one of them.

The Chungking Mansion is certainly an interesting place. That said, I'm not sure I'd stay there with a family/ stay there at all (and I actually had dinner there on the weekend!).
The Canada 'Hotel' has a rating of 6.8 on booking.com which is pretty poor. Even when I don't book with them, I have found the reviews to be fairly accurate. I wouldn't personally book anywhere below 8.0. If they say you can check-in until 11.30, it's probably because the staff go home then.

Also, I don't think Hong Kong has very strict fire codes or, if it does, certainly doesn't enforce them.
Old Jun 13, 18, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by TravelDream View Post
Also, I don't think Hong Kong has very strict fire codes or, if it does, certainly doesn't enforce them.
This is contrary to your belief. However, the only problems are:

1. Many are benefited from grandfathered provisions (in Hong Kong, the building year determines what fire codes it has to follow).

2. Complication in ownerships prevents a meaningful enforcement.

3. People are neglect about fire safety (no offense - in many major incidents resulting death, it was discovered that human factors had major contributions).
Old Jun 14, 18, 3:58 am

As to fire safety in a place like CKM, it's not so much fire or building codes themselves, but the practical impossibility of constantly keeping fire exits unblocked, checking makeshift electrical wiring, clearing accumulated rubbish, etc. A week after inspectors visit the place would be back to normal.

Seriously, it is no place for your child. Or you.
Old Jun 16, 18, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by TravelDream View Post
Whatever you do, don't take the Airport Express to go to TST - It has it's uses, but going to Kowloon generally isn't one of them.
I don't know about that. Generally speaking, Airport Express to Kowloon Station then a quick hop on a taxi to TST is not a bad option either. That's how we do it most of the time.

Search this Thread