Search

Getting down from Ngong Ping @ 6:30am

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:30 pm
azo
Original Poster

Getting down from Ngong Ping @ 6:30am

Hi,

I have a layover in HKG and would love to go up to the top of Ngong PIng (by Cable Car) and stay overnight.

I arrive early Sun so I can get up to the top no problem.

My flight the next day is @ 11am
Boarding will be 10ish
so I would like to be at the ariport no later than 8am.

Any suggestions on how to get down from the top by then?
Can I find/book/schedule a taxi?
Any ideas on how much that would cost?

THANKS
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club, Qantas, Velocity, Etihad Guest, Swissôtel Circle
Originally Posted by azo
Hi,

I have a layover in HKG and would love to go up to the top of Ngong PIng (by Cable Car) and stay overnight.

I arrive early Sun so I can get up to the top no problem.

My flight the next day is @ 11am
Boarding will be 10ish
so I would like to be at the ariport no later than 8am.

Any suggestions on how to get down from the top by then?
Can I find/book/schedule a taxi?
Any ideas on how much that would cost?

THANKS
You can book a taxi using the DiDi app by 7:00am where DiDi is a Ride hailing company which has launched in-app payment options in Hong Kong to provide local users with cashless travel experiences.

As a promotion for the new offering that began on the 18th April 2018, DiDi is working with Visa to provide discounts to drivers and customers over the next three consecutive Fridays. Pasengers who pay on their mobile phones using an international credit card will be given a HK$100 taxi fare discount for up to two rides per day.

Where a typical Taxi ride from Ngong Pong to Hong Kong International Airport costs around HKD $180 and takes 41 min (27.2 km) via S Lantau Rd and Tung Chung Rd to get to the Airport.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Master Singleton; Apr 20, 2018 at 8:57 am Reason: Formatting
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:12 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Are you sure that any of the 75 Lantau taxis are on the DiDi app? I don't think I'd rely on that!

But I feel you are allowing far too much time at the airport. Getting there at 8am for an 11am flight is daft unless you want to avail yourself of some lounge facilities.

The first bus from Ngong Ping is at 08:10, which would get you to Tung Chung by 9am, then an S1 or S56 to the airport, which you'd be at by 09:30. That's plenty early enough for an 11am flight, particualrly if you have no bags to check.

Alternatively, you could walk down from Ngong Ping via Tei Tong Tsai (paved all the way) (Not the rescue trail under the cable car, which is somewhat tougher). Would probably take about 90 minutes at a relaxed pace. Then get a taxi or bus to the airport.

Last edited by christep; Apr 20, 2018 at 3:34 am
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
No idea where this is in HKG but sounds like it's accessible by taxi. In which case why not try negotiate a pick-up for the next day with a taxi somewhere at the base/cable car station where presumably there are lots there
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:34 am
Suspended

I guess that might be possible in principle, but, to be clear, only the 75 blue Lantau taxis (out of over 18,000 in total) are able to go to Ngong Ping. And of those only a fraction have drivers with English good enough to have the discussion needed. And even then I don't think I'd have your level of confidence in the reliability of taxi drivers!
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club, Qantas, Velocity, Etihad Guest, Swissôtel Circle
Originally Posted by christep
Are you sure that any of the 75 Lantau taxis are on the DiDi app? I don't think I'd rely on that!

But I feel you are allowing far too much time at the airport. Getting there at 8am for an 11am flight is daft unless you want to avail yourself of some lounge facilities.

The first bus from Ngong Ping is at 08:10, which would get you to Tung Chung by 9am, then an S1 or S56 to the airport, which you'd be at by 09:30. That's plenty early enough for an 11am flight, particualrly if you have no bags to check.

Alternatively, you could walk down from Ngong Ping via Tei Tong Tsai (paved all the way) (Not the rescue trail under the cable car, which is somewhat tougher). Would probably take about 90 minutes at a relaxed pace. Then get a taxi or bus to the airport.
I can confirm that the 75 Lantau Taxi are on DiDi you can try it out by downloading DiDi onto your smartphone and select Hong Kong as your location and put your pin at Ngong Ping.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Can you just book a car service? I use Klook for airport transfer bookings.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:55 pm
Suspended

No you can't because very few if any private hire cars have the necessary permit to drive on South Lantau.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:38 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I think walking is actually a good idea, though you want to start as early as possible if it's later in the summer.

Where are you going to stay? If you have a phone, you should be able to call a taxi. (Numbers are available on google)
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:27 am

Let's assume he has a backpack if he's going to walk. Let's assume too that he's lucky and it's not raining. But especially with that weight on his back, downhill -- and it's all downhill -- will not be fun on his knees.

And I assume we're only talking about walking down to Tung Chung. Because of the highway maze, it'd be near-impossible to walk out to the airport from Tung Chung. At least I've never seen a soul doing it.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by 889
Because of the highway maze, it'd be near-impossible to walk out to the airport from Tung Chung. At least I've never seen a soul doing it.
Google Maps directions shows a walking route from Tung Chung station to Terminal 1, at 1 hour 12 minutes. It's different from the car route, and in general, Google Maps seems to know about pedestrian routes.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:51 pm

That's all very good, but has anyone actually done it, before we send this fellow off? Like I said, I've never seen anyone walking around that area. It seems purposely designed to be pedestrian unfriendly. Indeed, Tung Chung itself is confusing enough for a pedestrian.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by christep
I always thought that the trail underneath the cable car was the main way people hike up/down to Ngong Ping. Is this Tei Tong Tsai trail the best alternative way? According to this link, though, this trail starts quite a ways down the mountain from Ngong Ping and then you end up on Tung Chung Rd. Then what? Do you walk down Tung Chung Rd all the way to Tung Chung? When you say 90min at relaxed pace, are you talking time to walk from Ngong Ping to Tung Chung?
Enjoy Hiking Tei Tong Tsai Country Trail
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:39 am
Suspended

Aiya - Google Maps has got the Tei Tong Tsai Country Trail completely wrong! If you compare the hiking.gov.hk link above (which is correct) you will see that it is a different path from the one which Google Maps has labelled with that name. The (real) TTTCT is also unpaved, and rather steep & tricky under foot in places.

In general I find Google Maps extremely unreliable for labelling of anything except vehicular roads in Hong Kong. I have tried many times to provide them with corrections, but none was ever actioned, so I've given up trying.

The route I am suggesting is actually what Google Maps (wrongly) calls the Tei Tong Tsai Country Trail; it starts near the Ngong Ping Campsite and ends at Shek Mun Kap. At Shek Mun Kap you can either follow village paths into Tung Chung (which are not well sign-posted), or just walk to the Tung Chung Road and get any bus going into Tung Chung -
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:45 am

I live down the road from Ngong Ping. If your flight was later, by far your best bet would be to ride the cable car (w-w-w.np360.com.hk/en/buy-book/pricing-and-packages/) down to Tung Chung! Its a great journey! $210 return or $145 one way. Trouble is it doesn't start until 10am on a weekday.

Your best bet is to take the bus from Ngong Ping to Tung Chung then catch an airport bus for about $4 or a taxi for around $40. The first bus from Ngong Ping to Tung Chung on a Monday morning leaves at 08:10 - see timetable here (nlb.com.hk/route/routemap/22). Journey time is around 45 minutes and costs $17.

Alternatively call +852 2984 1328 for a blue Lantau taxi. Cost about $200 but expect to be told 'No taxi please try again' as they hang up.

Good luck and enjoy, its a nice place up there and will be even nicer in the evening early morning without the hoards...

PS - I just registered so I cannot post URLS...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.