Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong to Guilin

Hong Kong to Guilin

Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:27 pm

What's your plan there? If you're looking for natural beauty, Yangshuo is the place to go. It's about an hour from Guilin.
Yangshuo is a stunningly beautiful place and I couldn't recommend it more.
I've been there in August and it is very hot - but it wasn't that unbearable and the humidity was lower than Hong Kong. That said, I wouldn't plan days of bicycle riding unless your very used to extreme heat.
I've never taken the train as I flew with Cathay Dragon. If you're worried about price, check out Cathay's FanFares page as Guilin comes up quite regularly. I flew using British Airways Avios (4500 Avios + 13 each way).

I have though been to Shenzhen North station and it can be a pain.
It takes 60+ minutes to get from HK island to Lok Ma Chau.
The border takes X minutes long. If I had pre-booked tickets, I would allow, at an absolute minimum, 60 minutes. Double that if it's a holiday. You could do it in 15 though. I have found Lo Wu quicker as they have a separate queue for foreigners so you may want to consider there if it's a holiday.
It then takes 30 minutes to get from Lok Ma Chau to Shenzhen North station. I have always found Chinese train stations to be pretty manic and Shenzhen North WILL be manic throughout the holiday period (July and August). 60 minutes would be the absolute minimum I would allow to collect tickets. 120 minutes is more realistic to grab tickets and find the boarding area.
As you can see, five hours after leaving the hotel, you have just collected your tickets. Not a quick or easy journey.

I'm sure someone will jump in and say that they've done it in three hours. Possible? Perhaps - though not for a normal human on a normal day.

For the flight, I would plan to be on the train in HK station about 75 minutes before departure time if I had only hand luggage.

Last edited by TravelDream; Apr 24, 2018 at 1:31 am Reason: Typos
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelDream
That's your plan there? If you're looking for natural beauty, Yangshuo is the place to go. It's about an hour from Guilin.
Hi and thanks for the information.
Actually Yangsguo was on my itinerary, but I was planning to go there from Guilin, and then a river cruise back to Guilin again.
Does that seem like a good plan or do you have any other suggestions?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:33 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
What exactly do you want to see anyway? It is not like you can get off and take a picture.

For travel within Mainland China, the less the better because there are simply too many uncertainty. Even for flying, you can get delayed for 6 hours at no fault of the airline.

Beside - unless you have your own MB to drive, any public transportation is not as comfortable as you think.
wellllllll flying to guilin doesnt go thru the peking/shanghai corridor so its better, in relative terms; vs traffic jam my mate suffered or highway accidents i would say flight delays are the least deadly.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
I would take the train (generally my preferred mode of transport if going from HK to anywhere in Southern China), which is a 3h ride from Shenzhen. Flying in and out of China can be unrealiable and the total travel time might be longer anyway given you have to get to HKG, arrive early, account for any delays etc. Trains in China are very reliable compared to flying in terms of delays.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by kaka

going to china is a torture already regardless of flughts or not
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
It is a torture if not traveled by plane.
It's a torture if flying out of SZX.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:39 am

The airport, beautiful as it is, stunningly beautiful in fact, does have an extended linear design that always seems to produce extended linear walks to and from the gate. But as partial compensation, the express Metro line really speeds the journey now to and from central Shenzhen.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, LH FTL, IHG Diamond
Hallo, found this old thread and maybe adding my question here:
It seems CX / KA is not really flying to Guilin daily? Or is this a seasonal thing or just looking too early?
I am looking for flights in November and it looks as if they only fly 3x a week or something which would not fit to my preferred travel days.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Lokks like a winter/summer schedule thing. The schedule shows daily out to the last week of October then changes to 3 times per week.
SirToby likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Short haul flights to/from HK are the single best use of BA points that I know of.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:37 am
Suspended

there's an intercity bus service from Mong Kok.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:41 am

there's an intercity bus service from Mong Kok.
I ONCE took a bus from Shenzhen to Nanning, and will never repeat that experience.
kevincrumbs likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by moondog
I ONCE took a bus from Shenzhen to Nanning, and will never repeat that experience.
same applies to trains in the same country.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:01 am

same applies to trains in the same country.
I partially agree. Basically, if you want to go from Shanghai to Xuzhou, the train is the most sensible option by a country mile, but Hong Kong to Guilin is kind of stupid.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
I partially agree. Basically, if you want to go from Shanghai to Xuzhou, the train is the most sensible option by a country mile, but Hong Kong to Guilin is kind of stupid.
Is it that bad? Gulin to Shenzhen by HS rail was rather pleasant.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.