Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Can I buy an Octopus card airside at HKIA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold Elite

Have been to Hong Kong in 2016 for 9 days but stayed on Hong Kong Island and bought my Octopus card after exiting immigration.
Next time I visit I will be transiting though HKGIA and on to PEK on CX before meeting up with a tour there. Hate to have to go landslide to get an Octopus card as I want to by it before we return to Hong Kong at the end of our group tour. I have a 4 hour layover and my flight arrives around 5:15am. Might as well use that time to buy it then I guess.
Is it possible to buy an Octopus card airside at the airport? If not, any suggestions on how to buy it landslide in an efficient way? I will have access to the First class lounge at HKGIA so perhaps I can leave my carryon bag there to expedite back through security if necessary?

Also, can I use the card if I decide to take the ferry to Macau? Since I have seen the "tourist" sites in 2016 I am hoping to get out to Macau on the "tour day" and also want to hit the markets again-that is why I want the card-for MTR travel. Our group is staying at the Ritz Carlton for 2 nights.
Thanks in advance for any advice, and yes I know to use cash to buy the card!
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:43 am

You can not use Octopus card for the ferry to Macau. Just buy your Octopus card on your return to Hong Kong.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Yes, its not like you are saving a bunch of time. Buying an Octopus card once in HK proper has never taken me more than 5 minutes.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
With a layover of 4 hours, you have enough time to go landside to buy an Octopus card after your 5:15am arrival. I think the Airport Express station opens at 6am. I don't know if that is worth your time going through immigration twice and security once just for that card though.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Enjoy the First Class Lounge.

It's as good as impossible to go from the lounges to landside now - I'm not au fait with the whole story, but just forget about that.

Also, if you're on a tour, presumably you'll have transport from the airport to the hotel sorted. Yes there can be queues at the desk in the airport, but buying an Octopus card will take a matter of minutes in Kowloon Station underneath the RC.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: pleb
Too much effort just to get an Octopus card. Just wait until you get back to HK.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by mapleg
Yes, its not like you are saving a bunch of time. Buying an Octopus card once in HK proper has never taken me more than 5 minutes.
Why do you buy multiple times (instead of buying once and adding value when necessary)?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Why do you buy multiple times (instead of buying once and adding value when necessary)?
+1 I still use my old Octopus "student" Octopus (Personalised, with my picture on it). The discount is long gone, but the card works perfectly.

And agree with fellow posters above. The Airport Express counter is literally IN the way and the OP will have to pass past it on their way to a bus or AEL.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
+1 I still use my old Octopus "student" Octopus (Personalised, with my picture on it). The discount is long gone, but the card works perfectly..
I still have my first Octopus card from the original batch in 1997. Wow - it's now over 20 years old! It still works, but makes a funny beep at the turnstile to tell me that I should trade it in for a newer one. I see now that they have a website where you can check the details of old cards (https://www.octopuscards.com/onlinef...y/en/step1.jsp). It says that mine will stop working as of 21 July 2018.
MHG likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by nightkhan
Too much effort just to get an Octopus card. Just wait until you get back to HK.
I have to agree. Buying an Octopus card is only slightly more involved than buying a Coke from a vending machine. Going through Immigration control twice, plus security, plus finding a place to stash your luggage, all to do this a few days early?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by Steve M
I still have my first Octopus card from the original batch in 1997. Wow - it's now over 20 years old! It still works, but makes a funny beep at the turnstile to tell me that I should trade it in for a newer one. I see now that they have a website where you can check the details of old cards (https://www.octopuscards.com/onlinef...y/en/step1.jsp). It says that mine will stop working as of 21 July 2018.
A few of my friends still use their very old cards, which have their child pictures on them. Well, we change the Bank Cards what, every 5 years and Passport and IDs every 10 years, so I guess it's reasonable to change the Octopus after 21 years of service I would keep the old one for memory and buy a new one if I were you
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Also in my experience, as a HK resident that they seem to not work as well over time or in my case, the frequency of usage (ave monthly top up over $3000).
A newer card will read through my billfold's exterior pocket while a older card does not read at all. Some older "cards it is more than just a casual tap but hold on the reader for a few seconds for the "dood".

If it is the first batch I would hold onto it as an investment in collectables.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:08 pm

I wasn't happy when I had to surrender my original card, which had money on it to be transferred to a new one. If you want to keep it, don't have the money on it transferred to a new one.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:06 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
I wasn't happy when I had to surrender my original card, which had money on it to be transferred to a new one. If you want to keep it, don't have the money on it transferred to a new one.
?? if you wanted to keep it, why bother transferring it to a new one at all instead of just buying a new one?

You can use an octopus to -$35, so keeping it only costs you $15 (and it's not difficult to take the right number of buses or buy something appropriately priced from a supermarket if you really want to get it down to exactly that)
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Answering the original question - no, you cannot get an Octopus airside
BadgerBoi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.