closest hostel to HKG?

Old Mar 2, 18, 7:26 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington DC
Programs: Delta PM, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Plat, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 499
closest hostel to HKG?

my plans suddenly changed for next week. Can anyone recommend a hostel near HKG Airport? proximity to HKG Airport is key as I'll be arriving late and leaving early. Thanks for any info. Need to book this soon so thanks for considering. BTW, I'm a single male, not very picky. Just has to be clean, inexpensive and near HKG. Thanks.

Last edited by soxfanndc; Mar 2, 18 at 7:29 pm Reason: clarity
soxfanndc is offline  
Old Mar 3, 18, 7:55 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: None any more
Posts: 11,002
The only area of HK near the airport is Tung Chung and I'm not aware of any hostels there.

Have you considered crashing at the airport? There are free showers at the arrival side (before you go through transit security - no free showers in departures) and plenty of seats and loungers scattered around.
christep is offline  
Old Mar 3, 18, 9:38 am
  #3  
:D!
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Aberdeen, Bella Vista and Croydon
Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Posts: 4,376
The hostel with the shortest distance to HKG appears to be the YHA Ngong Ping SG Davis Hostel, but not very practical to get there late at night (or even during the day).

If not sleeping at the airport you'll have to go to Mong Kok or TST. If arriving after midnight you can take the N21 bus which runs every 20 minutes, though don't know if hostels typically have 24-hour front desk....
:D! is offline  
Old Mar 3, 18, 10:30 am
  #4  
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Posts: 8,162
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
The hostel with the shortest distance to HKG appears to be the YHA Ngong Ping SG Davis Hostel, but not very practical to get there late at night (or even during the day).

If not sleeping at the airport you'll have to go to Mong Kok or TST. If arriving after midnight you can take the N21 bus which runs every 20 minutes, though don't know if hostels typically have 24-hour front desk....
Ngong Ping is very inconvenient. I think you can only get there by taxi late night. It may be closest to the airport, but it will still take 30-40min by car. I took a ride there about 14 years ago. IIRC, we have to go from North side (Tung Chung) all the way to the South side of Lantau Island before going back North the Ngong Ping on winding mountain roads. According to their website (https://www.yha.org.hk/en/hostel/yha...-youth-hostel/), their opening hours are 7am-11pm.

I would not recommend hostels at that hour.
cxfan1960 is offline  
Old Mar 3, 18, 6:10 pm
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Boston, Jo'burg, HK
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Posts: 10,144
The YMCA in Kowloon would be a good choice for hostel-like budget hotel. Not near the airport, but transportation to/from is available 24/7. There's always the Mount Davis Hostel, supremely inconvenient, lousy hours, and haunted to boot!

Also not terribly convenient but really a cool place is the Shek Kip Mei refurb hostel: https://www.yha.org.hk/en/hostel/yha...-youth-hostel/
Pickles is online now  
Old Mar 3, 18, 7:36 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SYD, Australia
Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Posts: 664
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
The YMCA in Kowloon would be a good choice for hostel-like budget hotel. Not near the airport, but transportation to/from is available 24/7. There's always the Mount Davis Hostel, supremely inconvenient, lousy hours, and haunted to boot!

Also not terribly convenient but really a cool place is the Shek Kip Mei refurb hostel: https://www.yha.org.hk/en/hostel/yha...-youth-hostel/
YMCA in Kowloon a budget hotel? The one in TST?
Budget it ain't...
seavisionburma likes this.
JClasstraveller is offline  
Old Mar 3, 18, 8:32 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA, Hilton
Programs: United, Hilton
Posts: 3,701
Your options are:
- sleep on airport floor/bench
- Plaza Premium lounge
- hotel - either Regal (walkable), Marriott (shuttle till 1am), Novotel (shuttle till close to midnight).
evergrn is offline  
Old Mar 3, 18, 10:35 pm
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,959
Well, at tsuen wan you gt the best option.
kaka is offline  
Old Mar 4, 18, 12:33 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: HKG / DUB / YYZ
Programs: CX AY DL
Posts: 174
how late and how early really? plaza premium, or simply crashing at the airport, seems to be your best bet if you're in for a budget
fishball is offline  
Old Mar 4, 18, 9:15 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 897
There's City Oasis Guesthouse (Ngau Au Village), which is about a 10-minute taxi drive from the airport. But then that means dealing with Lantau taxis. Used to live a little outside of Tung Chung and the taxis are a pain to get, and not just at busier times. Don't know the times you are arriving/departing so can't comment on taking a bus to/from the guesthouse, but it would likely be via Tung Chung bus station, which actually might be walkable(?).
DragonSoul is offline  
Old Mar 5, 18, 5:35 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,596
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller View Post
YMCA in Kowloon a budget hotel? The one in TST?
Budget it ain't...
Full room is on the low end of price for a hotel in the area.

However, they do have two bunk rooms for 4 at a relatively low cost per berth.
tentseller is offline  
Old Mar 8, 18, 6:44 pm
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,959
Originally Posted by kaka View Post
Well, at tsuen wan you gt the best option.
and the hourly hotel options that you wont find online
kaka is offline  
Old Mar 9, 18, 12:34 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SYD, Australia
Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Posts: 664
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
Full room is on the low end of price for a hotel in the area.

However, they do have two bunk rooms for 4 at a relatively low cost per berth.
I think this traveller wants budget on an absolute scale not a relative scale... 😀
JClasstraveller is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread