Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Where to watch Super Bowl at HKG without lounge access.

Old Feb 3, 18, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Due to delay from YVR, Cathay will be putting us up overnight at a hotel. Flying out Monday morning to BKK at 9:10 AM. Will there be anywhere to watch the start of the Super Bowl without lounge access?
Old Feb 3, 18, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
There are a number of restaurants at HKG that *may* have TVs in them. Though I can't recall seeing any specifically. Maybe one of the restaurants landside on the mezzanine level overlooking the check-in counters? Perhaps one of the restaurants near gate 63? Or the Irish/American restaurant in the food court area near gate 40? There really aren't so many TV watching opportunities in HKG. Far fewer than at a large airport in the US/CA.

Additionally, I don't believe the Super Bowl is a particularly big deal outside the US. I'm sure it'd be on display at most sports bars, but I'm not sure there are any sports bars at HKG. SIN has a sports bar, but that's not much help to you...
Old Feb 3, 18, 6:53 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
It won't be on in the airport. I'm American but....nobody else really cares.

What I recommend doing is buying NFL League Pass, I think it's only about 10-20 bucks for this time (extremely late) in the season. None of the Byzantine US licensing agreements apply in HK. So it will stream live. However, you need to wait until you're in HK to buy (or, use a VPN in the US and connect to HK before buying. My point is, do not buy the US version which doesn't permit live streaming). I believe they're technically separate products even though they both are redirected from the same webpage which makes things confusing. The redirect is different if you're in the US (which sucks because no live), or somewhere like HK where the NFL doesn't have live broadcast agreements (hence it's great....as long as you're a subscriber, you can watch any game live without having to be a damn DirecTV subscriber).

The next problem you'll face is streaming: HK has free WiFi, and I can get decent but not great streaming coverage on the airport system (however, fear not: the HK Airport Free WiFi is still faster in most cases than the CX lounges). When I want to watch a game I usually suck it up and setup a WiFi hotspot from my phone via 4G. That gets me a solid HD image on my laptop. Good luck.
Old Feb 3, 18, 11:57 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
[QUOTE=QRC3288;29376657]It won't be on in the airport. I'm American but....nobody else really cares.
The NFL cares

What I recommend doing is buying NFL League Pass, I think it's only about 10-20 bucks for this time (extremely late) in the season. None of the Byzantine US licensing agreements apply in HK. So it will stream live. However, you need to wait until you're in HK to buy (or, use a VPN in the US and connect to HK before buying. My point is, do not buy the US version which doesn't permit live streaming). I believe they're technically separate products even though they both are redirected from the same webpage which makes things confusing. The redirect is different if you're in the US (which sucks because no live), or somewhere like HK where the NFL doesn't have live broadcast agreements (hence it's great....as long as you're a subscriber, you can watch any game live without having to be a damn DirecTV subscriber).
The NFL market in HK is relatively small so the licensing is different for a bar in HK for live streaming vs one in the US.

The next problem you'll face is streaming: HK has free WiFi, and I can get decent but not great streaming coverage on the airport system (however, fear not: the HK Airport Free WiFi is still faster in most cases than the CX lounges). When I want to watch a game I usually suck it up and setup a WiFi hotspot from my phone via 4G. That gets me a solid HD image on my laptop. Good luck.
Most lounges wifi is slower than the public HKIA free wifi to begin with. I can imagin the demand for live streaming of Superbowl make it a slow affair like watching the whole game in slo-mo.

BTW where are you watching? It is not my turn but I am bringing my projector and screen to the host's flat.
/QUOTE]
Old Feb 4, 18, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by d00little View Post
Due to delay from YVR, Cathay will be putting us up overnight at a hotel. Flying out Monday morning to BKK at 9:10 AM. Will there be anywhere to watch the start of the Super Bowl without lounge access?
According to HotDealsClub website, it will be made available free/online with some conditions:
Watch the Super Bowl Online: NBC is providing a live stream of the Super Bowl plus its pre post-game shows. It can only be watched on a computer, or "cast" to a TV using a Chromecast streaming media player. Does not work on a mobile device.
Super Bowl LII Live Stream | NBC Sports

While not stated, thinking you'd need VPN as well
Old Feb 4, 18, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
NOW TV (one of the local IPTV companies) will be showing it (but without the US advertisements) so you just need to find a place which has a NowTV box and persuade them to change it to Channel 635.
Old Feb 4, 18, 1:00 am

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Originally Posted by DBCme View Post
According to HotDealsClub website, it will be made available free/online with some conditions:
Watch the Super Bowl Online: NBC is providing a live stream of the Super Bowl plus its pre post-game shows. It can only be watched on a computer, or "cast" to a TV using a Chromecast streaming media player. Does not work on a mobile device.
Super Bowl LII Live Stream NBC Sports

While not stated, thinking you'd need VPN as well
Just tried your link with HK ISP, no VPN needed. This is at 4pm HKT game day.
Old Feb 4, 18, 1:01 am

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt, UA PP
In additional to the usual television broadcast, NBC will be streaming the game to both the NBC and NBC Sports apps for free. The game will be streaming at NBCSports.com, and you can download the app from the Google Play or iTunes store.
Old Feb 4, 18, 1:05 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
I was thinking the replies on this thread would be about bars around Hong Kong where ex-pat Americans hang out.
Old Feb 4, 18, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by christep View Post
NOW TV (one of the local IPTV companies) will be showing it (but without the US advertisements) so you just need to find a place which has a NowTV box and persuade them to change it to Channel 635.
Good thing there are no other Futbol games on which might make this possible.
Old Feb 4, 18, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replies. Currently getting ready to sleep at the Regal. Forgot that I had my local cable companies streaming service. Hopefully the free airport public wifi will be quick enough to stream and if I can get my VPN to work I should catch the first half before departing.
Old Feb 4, 18, 4:02 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I also got an email from Yahoo, that it's streaming live for free via the phone app. They did this a few times during the regular season too.

Search this Thread