Wiki Posts
Search

Meet Up At HKG Arrivals Channel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Meet Up At HKG Arrivals Channel

I'm arriving on CX676 (From TLV) on 05:15 am and a family member arrives on CX845 (from JFK) on 05:40 am on the same day. I am going out to the city and he has an onward flight (CX691 to SIN) on 8:10am.

Is there a way we can meet somewhere before I have to exit through immigration and he has to go through security? I'm talking of course of a short meeting, nothing fancy. Of course, if I could go air-side it would have been nice but it's not going to happen I guess.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Yes, there are plenty of seats and duty free shops just before you go through immigration or transit security in HKG, so it is definitely possible to meet up. Though I am not sure what kind of meeting you are looking for, in such an early time there should be some quiet space.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks so much; the idea is just to say hello and chat for a couple of minutes.

If I understand correctly all CX international arrivals go through the same channel so there is no chance of missing one another, correct?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
If I understand correctly all CX international arrivals go through the same channel so there is no chance of missing one another, correct?
Yes. You should specify your desired meetup location to your family member (one of the duty free shops before immigration sounds like a reasonable bet) and remind him/her NOT to go through transit security before you meet up.
Innocent Abroad likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
OP should meet outside the airside.

Airside is a legally restricted area. When OP is waiting within airside, it may draw some unwanted attention as it is not really a waiting area.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by garykung

Airside is a legally restricted area. When OP is waiting within airside, it may draw some unwanted attention as it is not really a waiting area.
What are you talking about? There are a couple restaurants or coffee shops in the arrival channel before immigration. Clearly they're anticipating that more than a few people may want to wait there for various reasons (mainly ferry connections I assume, but you could also imagine pax waiting for a particular airline transit desk to open or what have you). OP should be fine.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
Last year, I waited airside for two hours with no problem. I was waiting until 7:30 when the e-channel registration office opens. Yes, it's anecdotal but I doubt the OP will have an issue.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:36 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
There is a Pret near the immigration gates. You can wait there.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:58 am

Yes the Pret a Manger on the left as you approach immigration is perfect. As you arrive earlier you could also find the JFK arrival gate and go there to wait. There are no restrictions with waiting whatsoever.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by synthkeys
Last year, I waited airside for two hours with no problem. I was waiting until 7:30 when the e-channel registration office opens. Yes, it's anecdotal but I doubt the OP will have an issue.
+1

Done that once- for a shorter bit though. And one other time, wifey waited there for a while before clearing transit security and heading to the wing to co-incide with my arrival after an immigration-baggage-handover a bit to a Friend-check back the bag in- security-immigration schlep (for whatever reason, she preferred clearing emails sitting there rather than heading to the J lounge and moving over to F when I got there).

Asia/HKG are practical..afaik, ‘waiting for a friend’ is a valid reason to be at a place where you’re not supposed to ‘not be’. I’ve been at arrival gates in both HKG & SIN, after enquiring at transit counters as to where ‘flight XXX’ would park, so that I could surprise someone.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:02 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I waited at UO ground agents desk for 40 mins to get my camera I left on board back. No shorage of people waiting there.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: pleb

Huh?

There are always people waiting around airside before immigration. People are always napping on the benches, and I've waited there in the morning before as well to wait for the e-channel office to open.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 1010101
As you arrive earlier you could also find the JFK arrival gate and go there to wait. There are no restrictions with waiting whatsoever.
AFAIK there is no way to find out the arrival gate for a particular flight--HKIA does not publish arrival gate info on the airport monitors or its website.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
AFAIK there is no way to find out the arrival gate for a particular flight--HKIA does not publish arrival gate info on the airport monitors or its website.
flightradar24.com is the way I've done it before
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Originally Posted by dkc192
Actually HKIA's mobile app (I checked the iOS one) shows the parking bay info when you click into an arrival flight, possibly with respect to this conveniently located map.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.