Is MTR

Old Apr 8, 17, 1:20 am
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
This is unrelated to CX. I am moving this thread to the HKG forum.

cxfan1960
CX CoMod
Old Apr 8, 17, 2:26 am

Programs: RJ Emerald
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
OK - thanks for clarifying.

So even if I depart HKG immidiately past midnight (but before last service to the city) I will not be able to return to HKG in the morning on a "same day fare"? - I was thinking that it should be traveling on the same day/date if I take a past midnight train from HKG.
That's the point, MTR service day is different from normal calendar day (for AE the last service to town is at 00:48 and is still considered as "previous service day").

OT,but might be helpful to you!

I find those Cityflyer buses to be pretty good. I live in TST and the A21 literally stops 10 steps away from my place. It takes an hour because it circles around the area for a bit to pick up/drop off pax, but after my 14 hours flight arriving at 7 pm I don't really care. AE+MTR is certainly faster (by 20 minutes), but I'd have to transfer at Kowloon to a shuttle bus.

For Kowloon services, they are $33 ($10-$15 more if going to HK), equipped with wifi (unlike AE) and the views of Tsing Ma bridge are just amazing. I believe they do have a 50% discount on the return journey (so you pay 33+16.5) if using Octopus, but not sure if their service day starts at midnight.
Old Apr 9, 17, 3:14 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi View Post
For Kowloon services, they are $33 ($10-$15 more if going to HK), equipped with wifi (unlike AE) and the views of Tsing Ma bridge are just amazing. I believe they do have a 50% discount on the return journey (so you pay 33+16.5) if using Octopus, but not sure if their service day starts at midnight.
You can buy a paper return ticket at the airport for $55 valid for 90 days (but I don't see how the driver is able to verify this if you drop it into the box with the date stamp facing down)

https://www.nwstbus.com.hk/fareConce...ail.aspx?id=52

It's $65 to HK Island and I think cash only

I also use this bus to my house on HK Island even though it is one of the most uncomfortable bus journeys in the world, since having 0 changes is so much more convenient. Unfortunately the new train line doesn't reach me otherwise I would consider that
Old Apr 9, 17, 3:42 am

Programs: RJ Emerald
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
You can buy a paper return ticket at the airport for $55 valid for 90 days (but I don't see how the driver is able to verify this if you drop it into the box with the date stamp facing down)

https://www.nwstbus.com.hk/fareConce...ail.aspx?id=52

It's $65 to HK Island and I think cash only

I also use this bus to my house on HK Island even though it is one of the most uncomfortable bus journeys in the world, since having 0 changes is so much more convenient. Unfortunately the new train line doesn't reach me otherwise I would consider that
Thanks for the link, I never investigated their full pricing structure. I guess it's not worth it for the 11$ saving, considering you have to queue up for the ticket office, risk the chance of losing it the paper ticket e.t.c.

I do sometimes take MTR/AE to the airport,namely when I fly RJ (it's 21:25 departure) and want to access the lounge a bit earlier than when the check in starts at T-3 after I finish whatever I have to do on the day (especially if it's a weekend).

Why uncomfortable? I obviously did not take the buses to HK Island,so can't judge,because they might be different ,but the TST/Hung Hom bound buses are decent in my opinion.
Old Apr 9, 17, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
HK bus drivers.
Enough said about the comfort level
Old Apr 10, 17, 9:14 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi View Post
Thanks for the link, I never investigated their full pricing structure. I guess it's not worth it for the 11$ saving, considering you have to queue up for the ticket office, risk the chance of losing it the paper ticket e.t.c.
There is never a queue because nobody knows about this.

I just keep it with my octopus so won't lose it.

Discount for me is $31 per round trip.

Uncomfortable because the DAB decided to lobby Citybus to put underpowered double deckers on my route instead of doubling the frequency... it's mostly flat to TST so the only discomfort you'd experience is waiting in traffic on Nathan Road etc

Search this Thread
Search Engine: