FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   Do HK/Macau stamp passports? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1881824-do-hk-macau-stamp-passports.html)

iexpert Dec 8, 17 7:06 pm

Do HK/Macau stamp passports?
 
I collect passport stamps and want to know if they still stamp passports.

percysmith Dec 8, 17 8:26 pm


Originally Posted by iexpert (Post 29151769)
I collect passport stamps and want to know if they still stamp passports.

No more stamping. You get a thermal printed slip.

iexpert Dec 8, 17 8:30 pm


Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 29151942)
No more stamping. You get a thermal printed slip.

will they stamp upon request?

percysmith Dec 8, 17 10:41 pm


Originally Posted by iexpert (Post 29151953)
will they stamp upon request?


889 Dec 9, 17 6:15 am

The slip is actually a more interesting souvenir than the the stamp, since so few places use them. And it's personalised with your name and passport number.

(I believe the slips are printed with a xerographic not a thermal process, so they won't fade over time. Unlike, say, HK Post receipts, which can disappear well before your registered letter has reached its destination.)

The _Banking_Scot Dec 9, 17 8:54 am

Hi,

I gor a thermal printed slip on arrival into HK in mid novmeber but when exiting 4 hours later there were the new e-gates which worked perfectly ( I had a 10 hour layover in HKG coming in from tokyo so took the MTR to Hong kong walked round hong Kong park and took the star ferry to Kowloon to watch the sunset and the lights come up in the harbour ( a beautiful warm sunny afternoo & evening)

Regards

TBS

889 Dec 9, 17 9:13 am

Just to be clear, while traditionally you're stamped both in and out of most but not all countries, the HK slips are given out only on entry. There's no exit slip given, whether you exit by the auto gates or at the counter.

lsquare Dec 12, 17 12:41 am

Is there a reason why they stopped stamping passports for non-residents?

889 Dec 12, 17 1:43 am

It's said to speed up processing: they don't have to fumble around for the right stamp and page through the passport looking for a blank spot. And no stamping at all on exit. Given the vast number of travellers that pass through HK's borders, particular the land/sea borders, even a few seconds' savings adds up. It also reduces the chance for mistakes by mistamping.

percysmith Dec 12, 17 2:15 am


Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 29163480)
Is there a reason why they stopped stamping passports for non-residents?

My thoughts:

1. Less fuss about blank page rule for those countries who insisted on it

1a. More real estate for countries who issue full page visas that I can't avoid (Vietnam is my biggest page eater as I don't have a passport that qualifies for e-visa, but I know for others this may include PRC and the EU for those who're not Schengen-visa free).

2. Less things for a foreign customs officer to pick on during an inspection. I recently had a Japanese customs official who subjected me to a hand search for gold (he expressly confirmed this) after I presented a passport with two entry stamps in two weeks.

iexpert Dec 12, 17 1:31 pm

do they attach slips to passport or you have to do it yourself

The _Banking_Scot Dec 12, 17 1:50 pm


Originally Posted by iexpert (Post 29165913)
do they attach slips to passport or you have to do it yourself

Hi,

The slip is placed inside the passport ( not attached)- not sure what happens if it drops out or is lost.

Regards

TBS

worldiswide Dec 12, 17 9:21 pm


Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 29153237)
Hi,

I gor a thermal printed slip on arrival into HK in mid novmeber but when exiting 4 hours later there were the new e-gates which worked perfectly ( I had a 10 hour layover in HKG coming in from tokyo so took the MTR to Hong kong walked round hong Kong park and took the star ferry to Kowloon to watch the sunset and the lights come up in the harbour ( a beautiful warm sunny afternoo & evening)

Regards

TBS

great layover..done the same several times and it never gets old. Try the Asia society on justice drive near the park next time.

ricktoronto Jan 1, 18 10:11 pm


Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 29165993)
Hi,

The slip is placed inside the passport ( not attached)- not sure what happens if it drops out or is lost.

Regards

TBS

I have never had exit immigration ask for it since they started the process. It's all in their computer.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:14 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.