Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for best sites for cheap business class tickets to Hong Kong

Recommendations for best sites for cheap business class tickets to Hong Kong

Old Dec 4, 17, 5:18 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 2
Recommendations for best sites for cheap business class tickets to Hong Kong

Brand new to this site and hope I am posting in the right place. Looking for best places to find cheap business class flights to Hong Kong for Feb 2018. Have exhausted useless air miles!
LadyDaisy is offline  
Old Dec 4, 17, 6:55 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Programs: NZ *G
Posts: 5,737
1. You will likely be asked first to show what YOU have found......just to , you know, show willing...

2. A point of origin would make replies rather more likely.....
trooper is offline  
Old Dec 5, 17, 3:47 pm
  #3  
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Posts: 8,163
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
1. You will likely be asked first to show what YOU have found......just to , you know, show willing...

2. A point of origin would make replies rather more likely.....
3. Dates of travel too (LNY in 2018 is in Feb).
trooper likes this.
cxfan1960 is offline  
Old Dec 5, 17, 9:18 pm
  #4  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Posts: 19,351
Also whether you want non-stop flights (and max travel time you would accept). In general the cheaper J fares have some feature making them unattractive to business travelers
number_6 is offline  
Old Dec 5, 17, 9:27 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 10,294
Try Hong Kong Airlines (HX).

It is a Hong Kong-based airline. Its J fares are usually cheaper than CX if HX serves the route.
garykung is offline  
Old Dec 6, 17, 12:01 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,605
Lunar New Year is high season for travels and a corresponding pricing for airfares into and out of HKG as well as the region.
tentseller is offline  
Old Dec 6, 17, 3:20 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 2
I was flexible on city leaving from as I bounce around, but let's say PHX. Arriving Feb 2 and leaving March 4 as late as poss. Have tried all the sites that pop up on google...sky lux travel, executive class travel, fly world class, business class gurus. I have back issues and so need business ideally. Found the best through them was a flight via fly lux travel for $1200 premium economy with one stop and $2600 business but with a hellish layover and 2 stops. In which case maybe premium economy with a one stop is better...Willing to up to $3000 but really don't want to go above! One stop ideal but two is ok if the layover isn't terrible. Thank you!
LadyDaisy is offline  
Old Dec 6, 17, 6:32 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: None any more
Posts: 11,011
If you go from LAX I see $2327 on China Eastern with one stop in Shanghai as widely available.
christep is offline  
Old Dec 7, 17, 11:26 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC,SFO
Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 2,748
The city from which you depart is more likely to have a material effect on the price than the site on which you book. Besides LAX, I would look at YVR—or maybe SEA. Getting a business class ticket to HKG for around $2200 should be very doable.

Also, consider flying into SZX. It's a relatively easy train ride (or hire a private car service) into HKG. Air China has a nonstop LAX-SZX for $1,974 in business, but it operates only on certain days.

Last edited by flyingeph12; Dec 7, 17 at 11:32 pm
flyingeph12 is offline  
Old Dec 8, 17, 12:26 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,605
Originally Posted by flyingeph12 View Post
The city from which you depart is more likely to have a material effect on the price than the site on which you book. Besides LAX, I would look at YVR—or maybe SEA. Getting a business class ticket to HKG for around $2200 should be very doable.

Also, consider flying into SZX. It's a relatively easy train ride (or hire a private car service) into HKG. Air China has a nonstop LAX-SZX for $1,974 in business, but it operates only on certain days.
Yes, indeed, it is an easy train or car ride into HK from SZX.
.
BUT
For most people on FT they would need to get a visa to enter China. $$$
You have three more border crossings each trip:
  • SZX arrival Chinese immigration,
  • Crossing to HK Chinese exit immigration,
  • HK arrival immigration.
  • Repeat in reverse order when you leave.
Train from SZX into HK:
  • Shuttle to MTR,
  • two different lines to Lo Wu crossing
  • walk to border checkpoints,
  • walk to HK train,
  • Take HK train and
  • then transfer to other MTR lines to get to where you are going in HK.
I have HRP and HKID so the border crossings are only a swipe and go, even with them I personally do not think flying into SZX to get to HK is worth the saving but YMMV.

Long haul flight which doesn't operate daily does not leave much IRROPs options
tentseller is offline  
Old Dec 8, 17, 12:49 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC,SFO
Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 2,748
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
Yes, indeed, it is an easy train or car ride into HK from SZX.
.
BUT
For most people on FT they would need to get a visa to enter China. $$$
You have three more border crossings each trip:
  • SZX arrival Chinese immigration,
  • Crossing to HK Chinese exit immigration,
  • HK arrival immigration.
  • Repeat in reverse order when you leave.
Train from SZX into HK:
  • Shuttle to MTR,
  • two different lines to Lo Wu crossing
  • walk to border checkpoints,
  • walk to HK train,
  • Take HK train and
  • then transfer to other MTR lines to get to where you are going in HK.
I have HRP and HKID so the border crossings are only a swipe and go, even with them I personally do not think flying into SZX to get to HK is worth the saving but YMMV.

Long haul flight which doesn't operate daily does not leave much IRROPs options
Yes, true. One does need a visa, which is a pain to get, but then it’s good for 10 years. Since I already have a visa (and e-channel), I would fly into SZX in a heartbeat if it meant saving US$500 and a nonstop flight. But others may certainly think differently. Just wanted to throw out another option that OP may not have thought of.
Whodunit68 likes this.
flyingeph12 is offline  
Old Dec 8, 17, 1:46 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,605
Originally Posted by flyingeph12 View Post
Yes, true. One does need a visa, which is a pain to get, but then it’s good for 10 years. Since I already have a visa (and e-channel), I would fly into SZX in a heartbeat if it meant saving US$500 and a nonstop flight. But others may certainly think differently. Just wanted to throw out another option that OP may not have thought of.
Have you flown into SZX and then trained to Hong Kong with luggage?
tentseller is offline  
Old Dec 8, 17, 1:55 am
  #13  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Posts: 19,351
HX has nonstop J for USD 1886 on your dates for LAX-HKG. CX on same date/route is USD 6000+ so HX is quite a bargain (on other dates HX is USD 3000 so maybe a sale fare).
number_6 is offline  
Old Dec 23, 17, 5:21 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 263
Originally Posted by flyingeph12 View Post
Yes, true. One does need a visa, which is a pain to get, but then it’s good for 10 years. Since I already have a visa (and e-channel), I would fly into SZX in a heartbeat if it meant saving US$500 and a nonstop flight. But others may certainly think differently. Just wanted to throw out another option that OP may not have thought of.
with evidence of onward travel to HK within twenty four hours of arrival (e.g. a Shenzhen to HK direct ferry ticket), no visa would be required for most passports.
HarbourGent is offline  
Old Dec 23, 17, 6:24 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC,SFO
Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 2,748
Originally Posted by HarbourGent View Post
with evidence of onward travel to HK within twenty four hours of arrival (e.g. a Shenzhen to HK direct ferry ticket), no visa would be required for most passports.
Actually, I believe SZX is one of the few airports exempt from the 24-hour transit without visa program. See, e.g.,

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/emb...isa/intro2.htm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_China

EDIT: It seems like the transit policy at SZX may have changed recently. Improperly denied boarding or not? Legal question China visa etc.. I would still strongly recommend having a visa, though, just in case the airline does not have the most updated visa policy, especially since “official” sources still seem to indicate no TWOV for SZX.

Last edited by flyingeph12; Dec 23, 17 at 7:32 am
flyingeph12 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread