Credit card in HK

Old Nov 29, 17, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Credit card in HK

I am going on a MR to HKG this weekend and I am trying to find a recent answer regarding credit cards vs cash. I see old posts from a couple years ago saying they are pretty widely accepted other than at small markets and taxis.

I was planning on going to Victoria Peak, will the tram take CC or cash only? Then having a few drinks and food in Central before heading back over to Kowloon. I see the airport express last run from central is just before 01:00 but are there other subways that cross the harbor later than that?

Any other tips for my first time in HK. I have 15 hours on the ground, arrive Saturday 20:20 leave Sunday 11:45.
Old Nov 29, 17, 5:13 pm

No all-night service on the MTR (except special occasions). You'll need to take an overnight cross-harbour bus or van, or a taxi. Used to be walla-wallas for late-night crossings.
Old Nov 29, 17, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
You can buy Peak Tram tickets with a credit card. You can also use an Octopus card or cash. If you plan on using the MTR or buses then you may find an Octopus card useful in general, even for such a short stay. Taxis are HK$ cash only. Bars & restaurants almost all take credit cards (except a few very small, local hole-in-the-wall restaurants).
Old Nov 29, 17, 9:28 pm

Which part of Kowloon are you heading back to after your night out?
Old Nov 30, 17, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
Which part of Kowloon are you heading back to after your night out?
Near Temple Street night market. Depending on flights and how I am feeling may save Victoria Peak till the morning so I don't have to rush. Also looks like the train back to the airport has a station close.
Old Nov 30, 17, 12:51 pm

Programs: CX AY DL
Originally Posted by MSP_Home View Post
Near Temple Street night market. Depending on flights and how I am feeling may save Victoria Peak till the morning so I don't have to rush. Also looks like the train back to the airport has a station close.
last train from central to jordan/yaumatei is at 0054 but you might be better off with a taxi (cash only)/uber around HKD100

Search this Thread