FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   Online shopping and buying Chinese Blu-Rays in Hong Kong? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1879999-online-shopping-buying-chinese-blu-rays-hong-kong.html)

lsquare Nov 29, 2017 12:15 am

Online shopping and buying Chinese Blu-Rays in Hong Kong?

Does Hong Kong have something equivalent of an Amazon? I don't know much about HK's online shopping scene when it comes to clothes and electronics.

The last time I was in HK, I bought most of my movies at HMV. Prices seemed a bit high when converted back into CAD, but I didn't had time to shop around. I was also afraid of buying counterfeit movies. Where can I buy the latest releases at the lowest prices in HK?

percysmith Nov 29, 2017 12:17 am

HMV still the go-to for originals but why buy movies here? Unless they're Canto/Mando.

lsquare Nov 29, 2017 12:20 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 29112390)
HMV still the go-to for originals but why buy movies here? Unless they're Canto/Mando.

That's exactly it! I don't want Hollywood movies in HK simply because I can get them for much cheaper in Canada and the US. Someone told me the only advantage are Chinese subtitles, but I wouldn't pay a lot more just to have that option.

percysmith Nov 29, 2017 12:37 am

Yesasia perhaps.

889 Nov 29, 2017 12:45 am

You can look at Yahoo Auctions Hong Kong, though it's in Chinese. Most of the offerings -- and there are a lot -- are Chinese movies, somewhat dated.

lsquare Nov 29, 2017 12:57 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 29112429)
Yesasia perhaps.

I think HMV is cheaper than YesAsia, which is why I've been waiting for this opportunity to shop in HK. I guess HMV it is.

Chromie25 Nov 29, 2017 3:06 am

There are still some CD/DVD shops in Shun Wo Center in Mongkok. You can try checking out those shops (some sell 2nd hand, some only sell brand new).

garykung Nov 29, 2017 3:32 am

Try CD Warehouse:

http://www.cdwarehouse.com.hk/Company.asp

It is definitely cheaper than HMV AFAIK.

(The website is in Chinese. The page will get you the store locations in English.)

lsquare Feb 17, 2019 7:15 am

Going to bump this thread. I'm heading back to HK soon and I'm looking to buy 4K UHD discs. I know some movies are coming out in the new format. I saw some at HMV last time, but they were really expensive. It was something in the US$50-60 range.

christep Feb 17, 2019 8:14 am

HMV is no more. Physical media is pretty much gone now in HK - just a few very niche retro-shops.

lsquare Feb 17, 2019 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by christep (Post 30788867)
HMV is no more. Physical media is pretty much gone now in HK - just a few very niche retro-shops.

HMV in HK went out of business already? When did that happened?

kaka Feb 18, 2019 3:33 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 30790299)
HMV in HK went out of business already? When did that happened?

a couple of weeks ago. the company that bought out HMV also went under around Xmas 18

canto+ chinese movies in high street shops are now so crap anyways and the shops self-censor so much all the good movies sell direct.

Ace71 Feb 20, 2019 4:04 am

I think you still can get original and dodgy VCD,'s DVD's & Blu Ray's in Temple Street, also in units in smaller shopping malls like in Sim City (Shatung Street, Mong Kok) and Golden Computer Arcade (Fuk Wa Street, Sham Sha Po).
CD Warehouse still has shops/units all over Hong Kong.

jamescho Feb 22, 2019 6:16 am

There are a still few good stores open with owners/staff who know their stuff, and who stock good products. If you're in Wanchai area, check out Rock Gallery. It's been around for years and is known among locals to have one of the better selections in Hong Kong.