HK Airport poor incoming baggage handling = delays

Old Nov 18, 17, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/e...-kong#comments
Old Nov 18, 17, 6:06 am

Very interesting to read this article as it does not mirror my experience on baggage delivery. I have always found HKG to be faster than other airports. Guess I have been lucky.
Old Nov 18, 17, 6:12 am

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by mcgahat View Post
Very interesting to read this article as it does not mirror my experience on baggage delivery. I have always found HKG to be faster than other airports. Guess I have been lucky.
Not my experience as well and I had my share of AIrAsia arrival 2/3 of the time.
I think the issue is the 500 gates' luggage are trucked in instead of being on the conveyor system.
Old Nov 18, 17, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
I came in this week , arrived at Gate 30
The priority bags took 40 minutes to appear
I cam in from Helsinki, not a risk level airport that needs the dogs to sniff first
It is not just the remote 500 ++ gates
If anything a tractor drawn baggage cart would arrive sooner than a conveyor anyway

My boys came in from Brisbane on a premium airline, took 1 hour for the bags to arrive
When the airport first opened in 1997 it was a challenge to get to the carousel before the bags arrived, sadly no more
It seems they do not employ enough staff who are overcome when several planes arrive around the same time, of their equipment is breaking down
and this is with two runways
God knows what will happen when they build the third runway
Old Nov 19, 17, 1:06 am

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
To make sense you need to mention the airline and arrival gates.

My TPAC HKG arrivals is DL39 from SEA. Scheduled arrival at 2055. Never waited more than 5 minutes for my priority tagged bags from gate 40+.
I am usually sipping a drink at home on Stubb's Rd before 2200.

My Intra-Asia arrivals are AirAsia from the 200's, Longest was about 15 minutes. I experience a share carousel with AF CDG arrival 25 minutes before my AirAsia arrival and had my bags, no priority tags before the AF bags.

I think some airlines paid more to Jardine to get a priority arrival logistics service.
kaka likes this.
Old Nov 19, 17, 3:00 am

Programs: CX AY DL
I once tried waiting for 1.5hrs on the SU SVO flight, gate ~30
Old Nov 19, 17, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
How is that news?

It has been going on for months. Then now the media get attention?

Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
I think some airlines paid more to Jardine to get a priority arrival logistics service.
I was told by UA that lack of human resources was the cause...
Old Nov 19, 17, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Marco Polo View Post
I came in this week , arrived at Gate 30
The priority bags took 40 minutes to appear
I cam in from Helsinki, not a risk level airport that needs the dogs to sniff first
It is not just the remote 500 ++ gates
If anything a tractor drawn baggage cart would arrive sooner than a conveyor anyway

My boys came in from Brisbane on a premium airline, took 1 hour for the bags to arrive
When the airport first opened in 1997 it was a challenge to get to the carousel before the bags arrived, sadly no more
It seems they do not employ enough staff who are overcome when several planes arrive around the same time, of their equipment is breaking down
and this is with two runways
God knows what will happen when they build the third runway
seavisionburma likes this.
Old Nov 22, 17, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
And certainly when not when it first opened. The baggage system was a complete CF for a while after opening.
seavisionburma likes this.
Old Nov 26, 17, 7:59 am

In general, I've had fairly good experiences with HKIA, though I do try to travel with hand luggage only.

The only noticeably long wait I've had was when I flew HK Airlines when the mid-field concourse first opened. From arriving at the gate to getting my bag took just over 90 minutes. I got the the luggage belt in less than 30 minutes, and then we waited... and waited... and waited.

The thing with HK is at least priority luggage usually comes out first (whenever I've flown business (which is rare! )) The last time I flew to Heathrow priority bags came out last!
Old Jan 3, 18, 7:16 pm

Programs: N/A
I flew to HK several times with different airlines and I have no troubles with the luggage waiting time, comes very quickly, pretty efficient airport.
Old Jan 4, 18, 5:25 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
CX is always fine, but for some reason when arriving on BA they "forgot" to unload 20% of the bags on two separate occasions.
Old Jan 6, 18, 5:25 am

I just got back to Hong Kong the other day from London in BA. Priority started coming out about 60 minutes after we got to the gate and I didn't get my bag until over 90 minutes after we had arrived at the gate. It was pretty shocking as I have never waited that long.

A friend arrived on HX yesterday from Tokyo and she also had to wait about 90 minutes for her bag.

I realise the airport is busy during the post-Christmas period, but these waits are just too long.
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 10, 18, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
CX is always fine, but for some reason when arriving on BA they "forgot" to unload 20% of the bags on two separate occasions.
nah. on a few of my KIXHKG the last 2 years (2016jan-2017dec) i had to wait over 30 minutes for my bags. KIX HND NRT is fairly good at loading bags according to priority (I had OWS until sept2017, then OWE) so i'm quite sure it's more of a problem from the HK end. and once i had a 1 hour wait for bags with OWS tags from BA31....

Search this Thread