Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early May in Hong Kong, Bad Idea?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Early May in Hong Kong, Bad Idea?

Is early May a bad time weather-wise to travel to Hong Kong? I'm concerned about typhoons that may disrupt my flight in or out of the city. I also don't like rain and fog. It would be nice to avoid any major holidays in the city, too.

The reason I'm considering early May is because I'm also traveling to Beijing and Kuala Lumpur in the same trip, and early May is pretty ideal for those places.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by joer1212; Nov 12, 2017 at 7:07 pm
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:57 pm

May 1 (Labour Day) is a public holiday. And so is May 22 (Buddha's birthday).

You'd be unlucky to be here for a typhoon at the beginning of May. Perhaps the odd thunderstorm... Authorities do their best to keep the airport open; it's too important to have closed for long.

You'd a lot less unlucky to have rain - we get around 300mm rainfall in May and 15 days on average. Fog should be less common.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: Travel
Well, i think, it is not too bad. It is not too hot anyways!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by joer1212
Is early May a bad time weather-wise to travel to Hong Kong? I'm concerned about typhoons that may disrupt my flight in or out of the city. I also don't like rain and fog. It would be nice to avoid any major holidays in the city, too.

The reason I'm considering early May is because I'm also traveling to Beijing and Kuala Lumpur in the same trip, and early May is pretty ideal for those places.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Then you should give up this trip.

1. May is usually the beginning of each year's typhoon season in Hong Kong. Even you may be able to avoid typhoons, rain will not be avoidable. Per historical data, 50% days in May has rains.

2. Beijing always has fog due to pollution.

3. Raining in Kuala Lumpur in May is about the same chance as Hong Kong.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:46 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Note that rain is not unpleasant in Hong Kong in May, while it rains often it is less onerous than the equivalent rain in US cities. You can always stay indoors as lots of malls and buildings are inter-connected to MRT. Personally I think great to visit, much nicer than Beijing or KL but each city has its own attractions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.