Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Airport hotels or 24-hour lounges?

Old Nov 10, 17, 12:05 am
Original Poster

I have an 8-hour overnight layover in Hong Kong tomorrow. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced airport hotel? I'm not sure if I can stomach $200/night.

Alternatively, are there any OneWorld or Priority Pass lounges I could hang out in?

Thanks for the suggestions (and the sooner the better because I should have booked this last week)!
Old Nov 10, 17, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
No 24 hr OW lounges.

Remarkably, Priority Pass has a website where you can find details of their lounges. Since it is obviously too obscure for you to find, here's a link: https://www.prioritypass.com/en/loun...9-963194147132
seawolf likes this.
Old Nov 10, 17, 12:56 am

Programs: United, Hilton
There's also Plaza Premium Lounge, which is open 24hrs and ~$100USD for 5 hours.
Old Nov 10, 17, 2:06 am

There are two hotels at the airport: Regal, and Marriott. Had friends stay at the Regal (cheaper) and said it's nothing special.
Old Nov 10, 17, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep View Post
No 24 hr OW lounges.

Remarkably, Priority Pass has a website where you can find details of their lounges. Since it is obviously too obscure for you to find, here's a link: https://www.prioritypass.com/en/loun...9-963194147132
Equally surprising, there's always the option to ignore questions you think beneath you.
MavisM, osotoc and JC880 like this.
Old Nov 10, 17, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
There are two hotels at the airport: Regal, and Marriott. Had friends stay at the Regal (cheaper) and said it's nothing special.
Nothing special as in "don't stay there" or nothing special as in "might as well"?
Old Nov 10, 17, 6:26 am
rje

Programs: Marriott Gold,United Silver,Delta Silver,Hhonors Diamond., SPG platinum, Priority Club Plat.
Regal hotel is often on Skyauction,
Old Nov 10, 17, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by giblet View Post
Nothing special as in "don't stay there" or nothing special as in "might as well"?
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...tel-hong-kong/

Found with "regal airport hotel hong kong reviews" on Google. Tons of pictures. Review's from 2015 so a bit dated, but I suspect not much has changed. Airport hotels are pretty generic no matter where they are- high short stay usage and lots of flight crews means certain things (there's always SOME action, considerable wear and tear over time because of the short stay factor). You're definitely paying extra for convenience and saving time on a layover vs. quality, like most hotels attached to airports (and the Regal is very convenient). The hotel's serviceable but if you're blanching at $200...

These threads may be of some help to you:

Hong Kong 12 Hour Layover - Late Night/Early AM

An alternative to "can I lounge crash for X hours overnight "- Sleeep Capsule Hotel

If you're carting around a ton of luggage the Sheung Wan capsule hotel is probably not a great idea (unless you want to pay for leaving luggage at HKG left luggage).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 10, 17 at 2:43 pm
Old Nov 10, 17, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the links. I am definitely blanching at spending $200 on a hotel that looks like a $30 Cambodian equivalent (but I understand the price is for convenience).

How difficult is it to get to the capsule hotel? I know that Hong Kong is safe, but as a woman traveling alone I try not to be out on the streets of cities I don't know well late at night, particularly when I'm groggy with jet lag.

I'm on the first leg of my flight now. I'm tempted to see if I can get enough sleep on the flight to overnight in the airport (it will be daytime to my body then anyway) and if I can't, I'll slink over to the Regal.
Old Nov 10, 17, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
There is also the Novotel Citygate. The prices at all of them seem to be a bit steep for what the OP is looking for though. I have found last minute pricing at all of these properties to be pretty high.
Old Nov 10, 17, 7:07 pm

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Use the Plaza Premium Had a 10 hour layover on a First Mileage run on SQ from MEL-SIN-HKG-SIN-SYD All the airline (SQ UA TG ) lounges close 1230am so at 1230am walked from TG F lounge to Priority Pass Lounge - pulled 2 sofa chairs together and managed t osleep for a few hours until 530am when I went to SQ F lounge for champagne and breakfast then to the UA Global First Lounge for a proper cooked breakfast and further shower to wake me up - not too bad at all!!

Last edited by cbourl; Nov 10, 17 at 7:12 pm Reason: Typo
Old Nov 11, 17, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbourl View Post
Use the Plaza Premium Had a 10 hour layover on a First Mileage run on SQ from MEL-SIN-HKG-SIN-SYD All the airline (SQ UA TG ) lounges close 1230am so at 1230am walked from TG F lounge to Priority Pass Lounge - pulled 2 sofa chairs together and managed t osleep for a few hours until 530am when I went to SQ F lounge for champagne and breakfast then to the UA Global First Lounge for a proper cooked breakfast and further shower to wake me up - not too bad at all!!
I like your style. It's 2am and I'm holding strong in Plaza Premium. Just another 3.5 hours until the Pier opens!
cbourl likes this.
Old Nov 11, 17, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Thanks for the links. I am definitely blanching at spending $200 on a hotel that looks like a $30 Cambodian equivalent (but I understand the price is for convenience).

How difficult is it to get to the capsule hotel? I know that Hong Kong is safe, but as a woman traveling alone I try not to be out on the streets of cities I don't know well late at night, particularly when I'm groggy with jet lag.

I'm on the first leg of my flight now. I'm tempted to see if I can get enough sleep on the flight to overnight in the airport (it will be daytime to my body then anyway) and if I can't, I'll slink over to the Regal.
I've stayed at the Sky City Marriott, with isn't at the airport but a very short shuttle ride. It's rather nice, and if you have gold or above with Marriott you get the free breakfast buffet, which is pretty decent.

Check the rates, including AAA, I've been surprised before with offers below our (fairly well discounted) corporate rate.
Old Nov 11, 17, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

I ended up not being able to find anything under $200. It actually worked out fine because I slept from NRT-HKG and then stayed awake in the Pier and then Plaza Premium for the rest of the night. I was on New York time anyway, so it wasn't any hardship and I got quite a lot of work done.

For anyone else who comes across this thread, book in advance. Last-minute bookings for all of the HKG airport hotels were substantially more expensive than even a week out.
DragonSoul likes this.
Old Nov 15, 17, 7:01 pm

Programs: MP, BR
I ended up not being able to find anything under $200. It actually worked out fine because I slept from NRT-HKG and then stayed awake in the Pier and then Plaza Premium for the rest of the night. I was on New York time anyway, so it wasn't any hardship and I got quite a lot of work done.

For anyone else who comes across this thread, book in advance. Last-minute bookings for all of the HKG airport hotels were substantially more expensive than even a week out.
Actually booking in advance does not help for Regal or Marriott. There's always demand and the demand is often inelastic. I've been booking them off and on for the past 2 years and the only great rates I've ever found is actually buying their packages (e.g. Disney package which comes with Disneyland tickets) then selling the tickets to recoup some of the room costs.

Search this Thread