Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Cheap ways to call UK from Hong Kong

Old Oct 26, 17, 7:44 am
Original Poster

I need to make a call to London to sort out some problem with a bank account.

What's the cheapest way to make such an IDD phone call, but with acceptable quality?

I haven't made any international calls in a while, so I am rusty about the options.
Old Oct 26, 17, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
Do you have a local HK mobile? If so, with which operator?
Old Oct 26, 17, 9:09 am
Suspended

Skype? Google voice?
Old Oct 26, 17, 9:10 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Skype quality if fine these days, nearly the same as phone
Old Oct 26, 17, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold
3 advanced UK SIM with free roaming in HK.
Old Oct 26, 17, 7:37 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
3HK IDD service is what I use. Package 1969 unlimited to group of countries (UK included)

Since it is IDD it shows up as a phone service call.

​​​​​​Many in HK have Int'l IDD service package with their phone plan. I am sure you can find someone who can assist by lending you their handset for a call
Old Oct 27, 17, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep View Post
Do you have a local HK mobile? If so, with which operator?

Yes I do. I even have a landline, but my parents pay for the landline.
Old Oct 27, 17, 8:24 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by regardinghk View Post
Yes I do. I even have a landline, but my parents pay for the landline.
See what IDD special they have. There are monthly buffet or pay by the minute from just about all the major carriers.
Old Oct 28, 17, 12:12 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
What is the UK bank? If they have a freephone number (0800 or 0808) then it is free to call from anywhere in the world using Skype (unless Skype is blocked by the government)

You can find freephone numbers for several UK banks on saynoto0870.com (or I might know some which are not publicly given out any longer but still work).
Old Oct 28, 17, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If your parents have a landline (from PCCW) just dial 006044<UK no> and it will probably work. And the cost will probably be below HK$0.5/min (possibly as low as 0.2, or even free), so no big deal.
Old Oct 29, 17, 3:56 am

No! PCCW 0060 changed their rate structure some time ago. They no longer offer cheap 24-hour rates. Monday-Friday 9am to 7pm, it's HK$3.16/min to call an ordinary UK landline, more for certain prefixes.

http://www.pccw.com/Customer+Service...language=en_US
Old Oct 29, 17, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh wow! My apologies. That was a fairly radical change!

In that case, you could sign up for a service such as http://idt1529.net which still offers rates of HK$0.28/min from a HK mobile to a UK landline. Billing is monthly in arrears and they only bill your credit card two weeks after they send the bill (unlike, for example, PCCW, who bill your card before then send you your bill (at least, they used to when I last used them). Also you get HK$28 of credit just for opening an account with IDT1529, which is 100 minutes of calls to UK fixed for free!
Old Oct 30, 17, 4:53 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
I remember 20 years ago, my dad signed up with 0060, 007, 008 and 009 and wrote a long list of strict rules about which company to use for which country and at what time. This was too difficult for me to process so I just asked him who to use before I made a call...

Then his mother (my 嫲嫲) came over to stay and dialled 001 by default, spending $65 in 5 minutes.

I still remember how to sing that silly TV advert by a phone company which also offered lifetime free dialup internet....

I have a funny story about how my cousin (who also ran a telephone company back in the day) tried to defeat Li Ka-Shing, but I don't think it should be posted publicly.
Old Oct 31, 17, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by christep View Post
Oh wow! My apologies. That was a fairly radical change!

In that case, you could sign up for a service such as http://idt1529.net which still offers rates of HK$0.28/min from a HK mobile to a UK landline. Billing is monthly in arrears and they only bill your credit card two weeks after they send the bill (unlike, for example, PCCW, who bill your card before then send you your bill (at least, they used to when I last used them). Also you get HK$28 of credit just for opening an account with IDT1529, which is 100 minutes of calls to UK fixed for free!
Use IDT1529 myself for my mobiles. Cheap than my provider, which wants a $2000 deposit per phone.
Old Oct 31, 17, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This all sounds complicated!
My vote is for Skype or even Google Voice. As long as the internet/wifi connection is decent the call will be fine. You're not trying to land a multi-million deal, it's basically just a customer service phone call and even if you have to repeat yourself from time to time it'll be fine.

Search this Thread