Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Trip to hong kong to earn status; any customs issues with same day turn around?

Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan

has anyone done a round trip from Toronto to hong kong on the same day to earn year end status. Is there a customs issue doing this in hong kong.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
If you have the return boarding pass (or get it at the transfer desk before transfer security) you go through transfer security and never see immigration or customs.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by r1jacoby
has anyone done a round trip from Toronto to hong kong on the same day to earn year end status. Is there a customs issue doing this in hong kong.
No customs issue.

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
If you have the return boarding pass (or get it at the transfer desk before transfer security) you go through transfer security and never see immigration or customs.
Precisely. Have done this about 5 or so times and never an issue.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Exactly.

The HKG website says AC is closest to transfer security W1, but I've used others as it depends on which gate AC flights are assigned not usually more than 2 hours prior to arrival.

I remember that I had this info for when I'm transferring with CX

Transfer security check points are located at the following locations:

Near E1 transfer desks (05:00-23:59)
Near E2 transfer desks (24 hours)
Next to Gate 27 (06:30-23:59)
Near W1 transfer desks (24 hours)
Opposite Gate 43 (10:00-23:59)
Opposite Gate 62 (06:30-23:59)

Last edited by 24left; Nov 11, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

As this is a Hong Kong questions rather than one regarding either Air Canada or Aeroplan it's been relocated to the Hong Kong destination forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Those of you doing these back-to-back TPAC trips like that... how do you pull it off? I'm on the east coast of the USA, by the time I get to Hong Kong (or any other Asian destination), the last thing I want to do is to spend another 20+ hours in planes, even in J.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Those of you doing these back-to-back TPAC trips like that... how do you pull it off? I'm on the east coast of the USA, by the time I get to Hong Kong (or any other Asian destination), the last thing I want to do is to spend another 20+ hours in planes, even in J.
Hong Kong is one of the easiest airports to transfer in. Even if one goes into the arrivals hall, it's a breeze, and one can do the circuit of in and out in an hour.

In answer to your inquiry, be grateful you are not in that world as it requires commitment and self sacrifice. They have spent years preparing for such journeys. It starts in high school where they immerse themselves in the online world of the internet, forgoing friendships and family. Then, through early adulthood, undertaking a lengthy and grueling training that requires them to stay up for days playing Dungeons and Dragons, World of Warcraft etc. Those who have the strength to venture out of their parents' homes will pursue additional training in IT and follow a eating regime of chips, Jack in the Box, Waffle House etc. that prepares them for the sparse eating options onboard the airplane. It is a difficult quest, but they are the cheerful (sic) folks who staff the IT help desks and who code the programs that allow us to order stuff online.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
15/16

Are you on this turn around?

it is a mid afternoon arrival and a mid morning departure the next day.
​​​​
Would be a waste that with this much time your only experience is HKIA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.