FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   Some random Causeway Bay questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1869519-some-random-causeway-bay-questions.html)

Internaut Sep 29, 2017 12:03 pm

Some random Causeway Bay questions

I’m having another break in Hong Kong, the week after next, and this time I’ll be staying at the Holiday Inn Express Causeway Bay. Couple of questions:

1. I’ll be taking the Hong Kong Airport Express. Is there a free bus service from the station to the hotel (like the one I used on the Kowloon side). Is it hotel in walking distance of Central?

2. No five star hotel with Michelin starred restaurants for this trip... I’m after recommendations for places to eat from Flyertalkers. I’m looking for good, local food. I’m not terribly cosy conscious, but I am open minded to good suggestions at either end of the price scale.

3. Anything of interest in the area, or is it just a place to eat and sleep?

4. What’s going on with the weather??? Isn’t it supposed to be lovely Sept/Oct?

The _Banking_Scot Sep 29, 2017 12:41 pm

Hi,

From here;

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/se..._free_bus.html

Route H3 goes to Causeway Bay ( are there any hotels close by to the Holiday Inn?)

Things to do

(1) Victoria Park
(2) Noon day gun
(3) Happy Valley race course and horseracing museum
(4) riding the trams
(5) The Harbour view from the convention centre ( including the reunification monument)
(6) I think the MTR now goes south to ocean park
(7) The Wan chai area both at day and night
(8) Take the tram or MTR to admiralty and go to HK park and the peak tram terminus

With the MTR , you can get to most parts of HK quite east IMHO

As to the weather , I think the later in October you go the chances for better weather improve ( I think you could get some typhoons in Sept)

Regards

TBS

hawaiiansports Sep 29, 2017 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Internaut (Post 28874385)
I知 having another break in Hong Kong, the week after next, and this time I値l be staying at the Holiday Inn Causeway Bay. Couple of questions:

1. I値l be taking the Hong Kong Airport Express. Is there a free bus service from the station to the hotel (like the one I used on the Kowloon side). Is it hotel in walking distance of Central?

2. No five star hotel with Michelin starred restaurants for this trip... I知 after recommendations for places to eat from Flyertalkers. I知 looking for good, local food. I知 not terribly cosy conscious, but I am open minded to good suggestions at either end of the price scale.

4. What痴 going on with the weather??? Isn稚 it supposed to be lovely Sept/Oct?

Eat at Starz Kitchen at your hotel (HI Express). Very good BBQ

garykung Sep 29, 2017 3:08 pm

1. I値l be taking the Hong Kong Airport Express. Is there a free bus service from the station to the hotel (like the one I used on the Kowloon side). Is it hotel in walking distance of Central?

No and no.

a. None of the Airport Express free shuttle stops nearby HI Express. Your best alternative is MTR all the way (Airport > (Airport Express) > Hong Kong Station > (Walk) > Central Station > (Hong Kong Line) > Causeway Bay Station) and walk to the hotel.

In the alternative, you can also take Citybus Cityflyer Route A11 all the way to Causeway Bay.

The walking distance is the similar for both method.

b. From Central to Causeway Bay, it passes through 3 MTR stations. It is "walk-able", but nowhere near the term "walking distance".

2. No five star hotel with Michelin starred restaurants for this trip... I知 after recommendations for places to eat from Flyertalkers. I知 looking for good, local food. I知 not terribly cosy conscious, but I am open minded to good suggestions at either end of the price scale.

What kind of food do you have in mind? And what did you do last time?

Malls unfortunately. Causeway Bay has been changed dramatically to a place mostly for shopping (especially to tourists).

No. The climate won't change until Mid-Autumn Festival has passed.

kevincrumbs Sep 29, 2017 3:58 pm

Anything of interest in the area, or is it just a place to eat and sleep?

Tai Hang, the area behind the Hong Kong Central Library, is sort of neat and upcoming. There are some nice smaller restaurants and cafes back there and is easily walked to from Causeway Bay.

Example list:
https://www.sassyhongkong.com/sassys-guide-to-tai-hang/

889 Sep 29, 2017 8:40 pm

"Causeway Bay has been changed dramatically to a place mostly for shopping."

It's been that way for decades! For a more old-fashioned Hong Kong, just head east a bit to North Point. (But being HK, it's also an area for shopping and eating. What else?)

Good views from upper floors of the Central Library in Victoria Park.

tentseller Sep 29, 2017 9:15 pm

I知 having another break in Hong Kong, the week after next, and this time I値l be staying at the Holiday Inn Causeway Bay
The CWB hotel is a Holiday Inn EXPRESS.
Couple of questions:

You need to define walking distance in your terms. Most HKers, even weekend hikers would not consider walking from CWB to Central but it is walkable.

CWB as a tourist shopping mecca has very poor value in dining. Tai Hang and further east, as well as Wan Chai, offer better value and better cuisine of all origins at the same price point.

This is where I would get good food near CWB:

Cheap and great roast duck or curry mutton, in food court of market
https://www.openrice.com/zh/hongkong...5%96%B1-r10049

City Super, lower level of times square has reasonable price Sashimi, buy it and eat in their food court. Sake in beer size bottle as well.

Wan Chai is interesting, especially at night. During the day it is too business-like, it is becoming Admiralty East.
There is some curse slapping going on under the Canal road flyover which is interesting.
If you are open to public transportation, The Banking Scot's suggestions are all good to "get away" from CWB and see a different HK. THe Racecourse and museum are walkable from the HIX.

I can't remember too many days this Sept where there wasn't a hot weather warning.

Internaut Sep 30, 2017 4:02 am

Thanks everyone, you致e been tremendous help. I知 hoping to make this more of a photographic holiday, so fingers crossed for the weather (though one of the cameras/lenses is heavily weather sealed so might get some interesting street photos of Hong Kong in its most natural state - wet).

To answer a question asked of me...

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 28875158)

What kind of food do you have in mind? And what did you do last time?

I love Chinese food, but on my two previous trips gave into the fact that Hong Kong is a most international foodie city. So, more Chinese cuisine (Hong Kong and beyond). Is Hong Kong good for fiery Sichuan?

tentseller Sep 30, 2017 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Internaut (Post 28876684)
Thanks everyone, you致e been tremendous help. I知 hoping to make this more of a photographic holiday, so fingers crossed for the weather (though one of the cameras/lenses is heavily weather sealed so might get some interesting street photos of Hong Kong in its most natural state - wet).

To answer a question asked of me...

I love Chinese food, but on my two previous trips gave into the fact that Hong Kong is a most international foodie city. So, more Chinese cuisine (Hong Kong and beyond). Is Hong Kong good for fiery Sichuan?

Be careful and anticipate heavy fogging/condensation on your equipment especially the front element with high outside humidity and air conditioning cranked very high.

christep Sep 30, 2017 6:36 am

Yes - your biggest problem will be taking your equipment from a cool & dry environment out onto the street. You need to allow some time for condensation to evaporate etc.

Internaut Sep 30, 2017 7:51 am

Thanks again. I didn’t realise it was that humid. Fortunately, I’ve been through this in Fiji. I’ll make sure I stick my gear in a plastic bag for an hour or so when moving it out of the hotel.

jacobsleather Oct 9, 2017 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Internaut (Post 28876684)
Is Hong Kong good for fiery Sichuan?

Sorry for the late post but it could be that you're now here in Hong Kong.

滿江紅精品川菜館
Manjianghong is the name of the place, 27 Granville Road (up 1 floor).

https://goo.gl/maps/fWUg8dCfDx12

Internaut Oct 9, 2017 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by jacobsleather (Post 28910111)
Sorry for the late post but it could be that you're now here in Hong Kong.

滿江紅精品川菜館
Manjianghong is the name of the place, 27 Granville Road (up 1 floor).

https://goo.gl/maps/fWUg8dCfDx12

Oddly enough, just pulling into Tsing Yi, on my way to Hong Kong. Thanks for the timely recommendation.

hakzai Oct 10, 2017 1:38 am

If you're staying in Causeway Bay, then there's a good Sichuan restaurant behind your hotel.

https://www.openrice.com/en/hongkong...ichuan-r121710

889 Oct 10, 2017 8:16 am

For what it's worth, note that one of those Chinese reviews is headed 老外四川菜 "Sichuan Food for Foreigners" and says that entering the place was like a entering a foreigners' bar. I don't think they meant it as a compliment.

The review above that is headed 难吃, which I'd roughly translate as "Not Tasty."