Airport Express Question

Old Sep 28, 17, 9:37 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 259
Airport Express Question

Hi All,

I have read through many Airport Express Question but I could not find an answer for this question.

After reading many threads I know I can check in my bags at Kowloon Station 24 hours ahead (I wil be flying Cathay Pacific)

My question is What about when taking the airport Express from airport to Kowloon ? I will be traveling with 2 checked bags and one hand luggage, can I drop off my bags at the airport and pick it up at Kowloon?

Thanks.
INDFlyer is offline  
Old Sep 28, 17, 9:54 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Portland, OR, United States
Programs: CX Marco Polo Green (hahaha)
Posts: 1,303
Originally Posted by INDFlyer View Post
My question is What about when taking the airport Express from airport to Kowloon ? I will be traveling with 2 checked bags and one hand luggage, can I drop off my bags at the airport and pick it up at Kowloon?
I don't believe so but I'm sure someone at FT will be happy to correct me if I'm wrong.

However, carts are complimentary to use at HKG, so piling on two checked bags and a piece of hand luggage and wheeling the cart all the way to the train door (there are no fare gates at HKG) is the usual way that most people do it. I've done it plenty of times without issue and unlike a regular MTR train, the Airport Express seems to stop a bit longer. In addition, there aren't hordes of people rushing off the train, so you do have time to transfer your bags off the cart and onto the train.
kevincrumbs is offline  
Old Sep 28, 17, 12:53 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: HKG/AMM/LED/LHR
Programs: RJ Emerald
Posts: 2,088
No, you can't-do that.

Fully agree with the poster above though, there should not be any problems with transporting 3 bags with you.... I have done this plenty of times.
Rami Tamimi is offline  
Old Sep 28, 17, 1:31 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 259
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi View Post
No, you can't-do that.

Fully agree with the poster above though, there should not be any problems with transporting 3 bags with you.... I have done this plenty of times.
Thank you for this information.
INDFlyer is offline  
Old Sep 29, 17, 8:32 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: DTW - Rochester Hills, MI
Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Spire
Posts: 510
The one thing I've wondered about is how you would check-in 24 hours prior. You need to scan your ticket or Octopus Card to get into the airline area. Fine. But then you check in your bags, and need to get out without actually getting on the train. So you need to scan your ticket or card again.

Not sure how that works.

One time I mistakenly went into that area without intending to board the train. I don't even remember why. All I remember was that I then needed to go to customer service to have them fix it.
Gongzuokuang is offline  
Old Sep 29, 17, 11:33 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: HKG/AMM/LED/LHR
Programs: RJ Emerald
Posts: 2,088
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang View Post
The one thing I've wondered about is how you would check-in 24 hours prior. You need to scan your ticket or Octopus Card to get into the airline area. Fine. But then you check in your bags, and need to get out without actually getting on the train. So you need to scan your ticket or card again.

Not sure how that works.

One time I mistakenly went into that area without intending to board the train. I don't even remember why. All I remember was that I then needed to go to customer service to have them fix it.
The platform and the check-in areas are not connected, so you would have to scan the ticket/octopus when checking in, then exit the area, go down the escalator and then scan to get on the platform.

If you are using Octopus, the money will be debited when you enter the check-in area...even if you don't end up taking the AE later on.
Rami Tamimi is offline  
Old Sep 29, 17, 11:37 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: DTW - Rochester Hills, MI
Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Spire
Posts: 510
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi View Post
The platform and the check-in areas are not connected, so you would have to scan the ticket/octopus when checking in, then exit the area, go down the escalator and then scan to get on the platform.

If you are using Octopus, the money will be debited when you enter the check-in area...even if you don't end up taking the AE later on.
Yeah, that is what happened to me. I used my Octopus card, checked-in and dropped my bag, but then was not planning to go directly to the airport. So I then had to go see customer service because it had debited my card. It worked out, but they made it seem as if I had done something wrong.
Gongzuokuang is offline  
Old Sep 29, 17, 12:03 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: HKG/AMM/LED/LHR
Programs: RJ Emerald
Posts: 2,088
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang View Post
Yeah, that is what happened to me. I used my Octopus card, checked-in and dropped my bag, but then was not planning to go directly to the airport. So I then had to go see customer service because it had debited my card. It worked out, but they made it seem as if I had done something wrong.
Yes, but this is how it's meant to work.

Your card is debited when you check in and no further debits are made when you access the platform. It does not matter if you go immediately or 10 hours later. They were probably confused by your question because you did not have to speak to them.
Rami Tamimi is offline  
Old Oct 1, 17, 1:07 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 81
i assume that the MTR pays for the operations of the Airport Express station. Therfore you have to pay for the service before you are able to enter the Check in area. If you will travel within 24 hours after you have been debited on your octopus card you will not be charged again. If you are not using the Airport Express station yourself only for your luggage you have to pay anyways.
Chaosmax is offline  
Old Oct 1, 17, 6:26 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: HKG/AMM/LED/LHR
Programs: RJ Emerald
Posts: 2,088
Originally Posted by Chaosmax View Post
i assume that the MTR pays for the operations of the Airport Express station. Therfore you have to pay for the service before you are able to enter the Check in area. If you will travel within 24 hours after you have been debited on your octopus card you will not be charged again. If you are not using the Airport Express station yourself only for your luggage you have to pay anyways.
Yeah, it's one of the ways to encourage people to use AE and pay the relatively expensive ticket fee. This, along with free shuttle buses to and from AE stations and complimentary MTR journeys to/from AE stations if using Octopus.

Their strategy has certainly worked in my scenario...the only reason I use the AE is because of the ability to check in earlier than the standard airport check-in opening time (3 hours for most airlines not based in HKG)...but if I am flying out CX and when I arrive at HKG I always use the A21 bus because it's 3 times cheaper and it stops 5 steps away from my place.

It probably would be 20 minutes faster to go by MTR...but after a whole day of flying in Y I don't really care.

.....oh by the way you don't get those views on the AE.
Attached Images  
miklcct likes this.
Rami Tamimi is offline  
Old Oct 1, 17, 8:00 pm
  #11  
889
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,864
Were there technical reasons for completely enclosing the MTR lines over the Tsing Ma Bridge? You're going over one of the longest suspension bridges in the world with an incredible view, yet you could as well be in a deep underground tunnel. Seems like such a missed opportunity.
ijgordon likes this.
889 is offline  
Old Oct 2, 17, 2:22 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: None any more
Posts: 11,008
Originally Posted by 889 View Post
Were there technical reasons for completely enclosing the MTR lines over the Tsing Ma Bridge? You're going over one of the longest suspension bridges in the world with an incredible view, yet you could as well be in a deep underground tunnel. Seems like such a missed opportunity.
It enables the trains to keep running during typhoon conditions when the road sections of the bridge are closed.
DragonSoul likes this.
christep is offline  
Old Oct 3, 17, 1:16 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 10,289
Originally Posted by 889 View Post
Were there technical reasons for completely enclosing the MTR lines over the Tsing Ma Bridge?
I am not an engineer. But AFAIK - speed is the #1 reason why Airport Express has to be enclosed.

When passing the Lantau Link, both Tung Chung and Airport Express trains will reach its maximum speed of 135 km/h. Enclosed area can ensure the train safety and stability.
garykung is offline  
Old Oct 3, 17, 8:27 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,604
I had to head to Lantau by car for urgent issues that required my personal attention during the most recent Typhoon 8, it lowered to a 3 Sunday afternoon so it was a go.
Driving on those two bridges were not pleasant. I remembered a trick I learned in my childhood, drive with the windows open to minimize wind resistance and the car stabled out quite a bit but it was still white knuckles.
tentseller is online now  
Old Oct 10, 17, 6:39 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 10
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi View Post
Yes, but this is how it's meant to work.

Your card is debited when you check in and no further debits are made when you access the platform. It does not matter if you go immediately or 10 hours later. They were probably confused by your question because you did not have to speak to them.
I arrive at HKIA at 6 AM and leave the next day at 11AM. My luggage canít be checked thru all the way, so my plan is this; pick up luggage, take AE to Hong Kong Station, check in for my flight and drop off luggage, explore HK. The next day I want to take the AE to HKIA.
I want to pre-purchase 2 single discounted AE tickets at Hong Thai website. Can I access the check in area at Hong Kong Station on day 1 with my AE ticket for the next day without loosing the validity of that ticket?
Or is there an other way to go about this? Thanks for any help!
Breda_travelgirl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread