Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury with a view?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pickles
Well, I hope you were on a high floor then!
I was on the 15th floor. They did pull down the window covers for the restaurants. I was a little disappointed since I wanted to see outside while dining.

Last edited by vh_bu98; Sep 22, 2017 at 9:31 am
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by vh_bu98
I was on the 15th floor. They did pull down the window covers for the restaurants. I was a little disappointed see I wanted to see outside while dining.
So I guess you were OK then, as the waves didn't reach up that high. But I guess the lobby was flooded?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Having lived here for 20 years I was surprised to hear about this tsunami as well - I wonder how I could have missed hearing about it previously?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:37 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

LOL, typo on my part. I meant typhoon, not tsunami. Although typhoon Hato did have tsunami like waves.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
LOL, typo on my part. I meant typhoon, not tsunami. Although typhoon Hato did have tsunami like waves.
It sure did!

Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Pickles
Especially when the wind and water are in sync.

High tide when the typhoon hit can cause some mighty swells. The HFC estate was built to proper drainage standards but the standard only cover 99.99% of the possibilities.

Nobody thought about flood insurance for their cars in HK.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
Both with nice pools.
Can I go out on a limb and characterize you as a swimmer?

Not to totally derail the thread, but what are your recommendations for legitimate pools for doing laps in Hong Kong?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by mbloes
Not to totally derail the thread, but what are your recommendations for legitimate pools for doing laps in Hong Kong?
For lap swimming, I'd say the best are Peninsula and Cordis, followed by Conrad. These three have decent lengths (Pen might be shorter than the other two), are shaped right (esp Pen and Cordis), and are heated well. Conrad's jacuzzi is a bit inadequate, though. Asides from Conrad, I remember liking the pools at both of the other Admiralty hotels (Island Shangrila, JW Marriott) but it's been a few years since I stayed at either of those.

Intercontinental has probably the largest hotel pool I've seen in HK. But it's round (you can swim across it, but it's hard to know where you're headed) and they don't heat it enough, at least not when I've swam there.

I should note that most of my HK stays are either in TST or Admiralty. I've heard good things about the pools at W and Ritz, but I've not stayed at either. There are also public pools which I've never used.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mbloes
Can I go out on a limb and characterize you as a swimmer?

Thanks in advance.
if you happen to be in that area hyatt sha tin has a proper 25m pool with 2 or 3 lanes...
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn
For lap swimming, I'd say the best are Peninsula and Cordis, followed by Conrad. These three have decent lengths (Pen might be shorter than the other two), are shaped right (esp Pen and Cordis), and are heated well. Conrad's jacuzzi is a bit inadequate, though. Asides from Conrad, I remember liking the pools at both of the other Admiralty hotels (Island Shangrila, JW Marriott) but it's been a few years since I stayed at either of those.

Intercontinental has probably the largest hotel pool I've seen in HK. But it's round (you can swim across it, but it's hard to know where you're headed) and they don't heat it enough, at least not when I've swam there.

I should note that most of my HK stays are either in TST or Admiralty. I've heard good things about the pools at W and Ritz, but I've not stayed at either. There are also public pools which I've never used.
The GHHK has a 50 meter pool which is open year round and deserted in the winter months. The FS has two 25 meter pools, open year round, one of which is always deserted because it's a lap pool and it's unheated. The views from the FS pool is amazing. The W pool is also pretty nice, amazing view.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:16 am

Excellent information, everybody.

Thank you so much.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I can't do comparisons for you, but I can tell you that the view we had from the ICON was amazing. Harbor, Christmas lights (december trip). We had booked a Club 38 Harbour room and were upgraded to a Harbour Suite. I could swim in the bathtub! There are lots of photos (of the room and the view) online so I want bother trying to find mine, but we loved our stay there.
I can't compare the lot but can say my Intercontinental HK stay was amazing too. I normally book suites but this time we had 9 days in a Harbour View Room and the view was fabulous. The room was exceptionally large and the windows were huge to look out of. The bathroom was huge as was the walk in robe. I was 100% satisfied with the room and never wanted to upgrade. We pulled up the sofa and it sat right in front of the large window for our 9 days. Housekeeping knew we liked it there and were wonderful in catering to our preferences. My husband loved looking out at the comings and goings on the harbour.

Have a wonderful trip.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
The views from the Kowloon Shangri-La are very good and the prices can be far less than IC or Peninsula.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.