Wiki Posts
Search

driving from Shenzen to HK to catch next am flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SW, AA, DL, Marriott, Hilton, Langham
Question driving from Shenzen to HK to catch next am flight

Hi! My first time in HK (China in general). We will be in Shenzen Baoan District for business and flying to the US from HK on a Saturday 10:30 am flight. Would love to see something of HK while there and have the option leave Shenzen early Friday and go to HK. Or should I just spend the time in Shenzen?

I am not sure logistically if it's possible to travel from Shenzen to HK and see anything in such a short time (maybe an evening tour?). I'm thinking due to the time of the flight we should stay by the airport. HOWEVER, I know many of you are seasoned travellers and can better advise as to realistically what I can do.

Thanks.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:36 pm

That gives you almost a full day in Hong Kong, and if you've never visited the territory, then I'd say that beats spending the day hanging out in Shenzhen by a long shot.

No need to stay near the airport: transport from the urban area to the airport is very good; besides, heading out to the airport area to check-in then heading back to the urban area for sightseeing would really bite into your limited time.

Only question is whether you should cross at Shenzhen Bay and take a bus into Hong Kong proper, or take the Metro/MTR combo and cross at Luohu. This depends on precisely where you are in Shenzhen, and perhaps on how much luggage you've got.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I'd rather spend time in HK but was concerned about the time and traffic. We are being provided a driver by the factory in Shenzen.

Will be using Marriott/SPG points for hotel. I was concerned that a 10:30 am flight I would not have sufficient time in traffic to travel to the airport. Not sure how much luggage I'll have because between 2 of us + product samples + shopping.

Is there an area of town you would recommend we stay?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:17 pm

Assuming the driver has the necessary permits to cross at Shenzhen Bay and enter into Hong Kong there shouldn't be a problem; fast modern highways connect the crossing with the urban area. Vast -- truly vast -- numbers of people cross between Hong Kong and the Mainland every day: it's no big deal.

I don't know anything about specific Hong Kong hotels or points plans, but in terms of area, for a one-night stay Causeway Bay would be a good choice: lively, especially at night, lots of shopping, and not quite a tourist ghetto like Tsim Sha Tsui. Also, set between Wanchai (another possible hotel location) and North Point, two other areas with a lot of character.

From Causeway Bay or Wanchai you can take a pretty quick taxi ride (or the MTR) to the Airport Express Station on Saturday morning, or just take a cab all the way to the airport, if your budget permits.
andhereigo likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
If there are two of you plus luggage I would taxi all the way to the airport Saturday morning. Traffic should not be an issue base on historical data.

SPG there is the W at West Kowloon and Sheraton at Tsim Sha Tsui.
Marriot there is JW at Admiralty, RC at West Kowloon and Renaissance Hong Kong Harbourview.

+1 about Causeway Bay and Wan Chai being more HK flavour. Tsim Sha Tsui is too touristy and West Kowloon too sterile and off the beaten path.

The driver needs his permit and the vehicle needs its permit to go from SZ to HK.If not have them take you to the train at Lo Wu. There are plenty of taxis at the Hung Hom (Hong Kong terminus) station. There are different taxi queue depending on whether you are heading to HK island side or staying on Kowloon side.
andhereigo likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
I would go to HK... even it it's just for the evening.

Here are a few thoughts on getting there:

1) Bus is probably very easy IF you are Chinese... or if you have done the route a few times with someone who is Chinese. I am in SZ/HK 3+ times per year, and I'm not sure I'd try the bus by myself.

2) I almost always take the train from Lohou. It begins in Lohou and ends in HK (Hong Hum station). It's not too difficult to find your way. Pay for the first class car... I think it's worth the small cost of the upgrade. You'll then take a taxi to your hotel from there (if you are staying in Hong Kong), or take a taxi to Kowloon Station (If you want to go to the Marriott I'll describe below.)

3) It's unlikely that your driver can take you to Hong Kong. The licensing/etc for someone to do both mainland and HK is very expensive and is usually limited to transportation companies. Having said that, almost all of the hotels have a shuttle service that can take you to the airport. Last time I checked it was something like 1000/1500 RMB for a private car, or much less if you just take the per-passenger group van. The group thing is a mini-van that they wedge 6-8 people into. It gets you to the airport (and the Marriott, which I'll describe below). The factory can probably also schedule you one of the "private cars". If you take a private car service, then they can probably get you to any hotel in Hong Kong. Not sure how it works if you want to take the group cars.

Once you are in HK, you have many choices of where to stay.

A) There are simply too many choices if you decide to stay in HK! If you do that, then you'll just need to take the Airport Express in the morning. It's VERY efficient and reliable. That is what I often do. I'll typically leave for the airport 2-3 hours before my flight (you don't necessarily need that much time... but I don't want the stress and prefer to get there early and chill at the CX lounge. :-). Catch a cab to the Airport Express station, and then the train to the airport. It sounds like you prefer Marriott: there is a JW Marriott in Hong Kong that is close to the AE station. There is a Ritz in Kowloon that is near to the Kowloon AE station.

B) The SkyCity Marriott is a great choice as they are a 3-minute taxi ride from the airport, and they also have a free shuttle. It is great to be that close in the morning. As others have mentioned, it will consume a little of your Friday afternoon/evening setting up camp there, but it will make the morning very easy. To get there utilize the the Airport Express train that runs between the Airport/Asia World and Hong Kong/Kowloon. It's something like a 24 minute ride, and trains come every 12 minutes. AsiaWorld is directly next to the Marriott. So, if you take the train from Lohou, you can then take a taxi from Hong Hum station to Kowloon Station. Then take the Airport Express to AsiaWorld. Then walk to the Marriott. Setup Camp. Then take the airport express back into town. Depending on how late you stay, you can either take the train back again, or take a taxi. My guess is that it would take a few hours (2-3) from the time leave Shenzhen until you get checked-in and are back in the city. The other option if you are considering that Marriott is to take one of what they call "private cars" from a SZ hotel to the airport, and then take a taxi to the Marriott. The Marriott also offers a free shuttle. The total time is probably half of what it would take you if you choose the train.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for your replies! I am definitely headed to HK in the am. I knew you guys could offer suggestions. As long as getting to the airport would not be a nightmare in the morning I would prefer to be closer to HK itself. My daughter and I are off to the Canton Fair and to visit a LED factory in SZ that we have business relations with. My overly protective partners (lol...they are son-in-laws) can't come on this trip (they have baby duty) and have everything planned until we leave SZ. They have a driver that they use to get us to HK but have requested we stay Marriott /SPG/Hilton for "their" sake simply because we have Platinum and Diamond in their programs.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:57 am

There are a couple of Marriotts on HK Island. Given HK's good transit system, they're not bad choices overall. Just that for a very brief stay I'd suggest a place like the Park Lane in Causeway Bay where you're right in the middle of everything the minute you walk out the door.

But your choice. Or your in-laws'!
andhereigo likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
A 10:30am flight gives you plenty of time to take the train to the airport. If you've only got a fraction of a day, Causeway Bay is a good idea. It's every bit as tourist-infested as Tsim Sha Tsui, but is more interesting for someone who's never been to HKG before. If the weather is decent, take a walk in Victoria park. If the weather is terrible, eat.

I used to stay at the Park Lane with family years ago. It's nice and the extra cost for the harbor/park view is well worth it. I stay in Tsim Sha Tsui now for business reasons. If you go that way the Kowloon Hotel is small but nice and the Kowloon Shangri-La is 1/2 the price of the one on the island and has (1) an amazing Chinese restaurant and (2) one of the best bars in Hong Kong.

The Kowloon side has bird street and the jade market, both of which are an easy train ride to Mong Kok from wherever you decide to stay. Going to Victoria peak is a 1/2 day deal and is only worth it if it's clear. The bar at the Intercontinental has the best view of anywhere other than Hoboken. Go there at dusk and see the nightly laser/neon light show over the island.

The first train to the airport leaves at 6:30 and you'll have plenty of time to make your flight no matter what you do.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: AY Gold, QR Plat
You can do the check in also at Kowloon station. Leave checked luggage there
and get the boarding pass. Never seen busy lines there.

I use the MTR to go between Airport and city.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by dulcamara
The first train to the airport leaves at 6:30 and you'll have plenty of time to make your flight no matter what you do.
The first train to the airport leaves at 5.54 and the check-in counters at the train station are open well before that.

TBH, I would just take a taxi. Shouldn't take much more than 45 minutes from Causeway Bay to the airport and would be a similar cost to the train as there are two of you.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by TravelDream
The first train to the airport leaves at 5.54 and the check-in counters at the train station are open well before that.
http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/se...ble_index.html

The first train from city stations to the airport departs at:
Hong Kong: 05:50
Kowloon: 05:53
Tsing Yi: 06:00

The first train from the airport to the city departs at 05:54.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by mnbp
http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/se...ble_index.html

The first train from city stations to the airport departs at:
Hong Kong: 05:50
Kowloon: 05:53
Tsing Yi: 06:00

The first train from the airport to the city departs at 05:54.
It is the same first train making its way from Hong Kong stn to HKIA stopping at Kowloon and Tsing Yi.

I know this is HK, we are talking about four minutes before 6 am. It is not a big deal compare to the four minutes before HKEX closes.

Originally Posted by TravelDream

TBH, I would just take a taxi. Shouldn't take much more than 45 minutes from Causeway Bay to the airport and would be a similar cost to the train as there are two of you.
From CWB hotel to HKIA with luggage? I would just taxi all the way.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:18 am

My mistake on train times. I had that figure in my head, but must have remembered the first train from the airport. The trains runs every 10 minutes or so anyway.

Originally Posted by tentseller
That's what I said, no?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tentseller
It is the same first train making its way from Hong Kong stn to HKIA stopping at Kowloon and Tsing Yi.

I know this is HK, we are talking about four minutes before 6 am. It is not a big deal compare to the four minutes before HKEX closes.

or uber. HK taxis are known to overcharge locals and tourists. and make you sick on a stretch of straight road.
what most locals do is to cab it to the HK Airport express station and buy the train ticket on klook.com. pretty good discount there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.