Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong 12 Hour Layover - Late Night/Early AM

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by 889
"Exit formalities can take a while at HKG."

Ten to fifteen minutes would be a long wait at HK immigration. The speed of the security check puts just about every other airport to shame. Main issue is that it can be a surprisingly long and confusing trek from the security check to the boarding gate, past all the shops the Airport Authority has bundled into the CLK Mall.
You've clearly been luckier than me. I've been stuck in line for 30 minutes at HKG exit immigration before. Arriving 60 minutes before a flight and spending half that time in lines? Good luck.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Or if OP doesn't have eChannel or an APEC card. Exit formalities can take a while at HKG. @:-)
I am HK citizen and has HKID card. Should I come to airport later given I have luggage to check in anyway? Or can I pre check in the night before? Note the incoming carrier is SQ and leaving carrier is KA J and tickets are separate.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:07 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
I am HK citizen and has HKID card. Should I come to airport later given I have luggage to check in anyway? Or can I pre check in the night before? Note the incoming carrier is SQ and leaving carrier is KA J and tickets are separate.
im pretty sure (99.9%) you can checkin for KA the night before at the airport just like CX. the 0.1% is i have no formal confirmation about that yet all else being identical now CX and KA. many in the future will thank you if you can confirm this!

Going to Tsing Yi/Tsuen Wan for a sub500HKD hotel would be what i suggest. unless you're lucky and can find some benches airside. the plaza premium lounge isnt that comfortable since all they have are couches for 1.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:27 am

Hi Guys, I have bits of SPG and bits of Marriott points left when combined will make a 1 night at SPG or Marriott. I need recommendation for an SPG or Marriott hotel (the cheapest the best points wise) for a 1 night layover. I would also like to explore the city or whatever is possible to explore. Flight arrives at 9.26 PM and departs at 11.50 AM the next day. How can I maximize my time and which hotel in what area should I book at? I looked at the map but not too clear, transportation wise as well? TIA
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
"Cheap US chain hotel on points that's convenient to tourist spots" is sort of a contradiction in terms when it comes to Hong Kong, sort of like "I want an inexpensive five star hotel in New York City". US chains are not priced well on points in Hong Kong (primarily because they are relying on their customers to accept inflated prices in cash/points as "I'm familiar with this chain" tax).

The Marriott out in Sha Tin is cheapest pointswise but it's not particularly convenient to anything interesting you'd see by the time you'd get out there (pushing 11 pm). Dropping your gear at Marriott SkyCity and using AEX out, maybe a cab back if you're out super late is probably the best option if you're trying to minimize point spend. The Courtyard that's the same price in points is not necessarily someplace all that interesting at 11 pm at night, either, out in Sheung Wan, though it is accessible with an express bus from the airport. If you're willing to shell out 12K SPG/36k Marriott, the Sheraton in Kowloon is pretty ideally placed for getting around Hong Kong, but that's a lot of points for a one night layover...

There's a zillion layover threads here in the forum if you search "layover". Perhaps that will help with ideas...
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
"Cheap US chain hotel on points that's convenient to tourist spots" is sort of a contradiction in terms when it comes to Hong Kong, sort of like "I want an inexpensive five star hotel in New York City". US chains are not priced well on points in Hong Kong (primarily because they are relying on their customers to accept inflated prices in cash/points as "I'm familiar with this chain" tax).

The Marriott out in Sha Tin is cheapest pointswise but it's not particularly convenient to anything interesting you'd see by the time you'd get out there (pushing 11 pm). Dropping your gear at Marriott SkyCity and using AEX out, maybe a cab back if you're out super late is probably the best option if you're trying to minimize point spend. The Courtyard that's the same price in points is not necessarily someplace all that interesting at 11 pm at night, either, out in Sheung Wan, though it is accessible with an express bus from the airport. If you're willing to shell out 12K SPG/36k Marriott, the Sheraton in Kowloon is pretty ideally placed for getting around Hong Kong, but that's a lot of points for a one night layover...

There's a zillion layover threads here in the forum if you search "layover". Perhaps that will help with ideas...

Thank you, I can afford
1) Courtyard Hong Kong, 167 Connaught Road West Hong Kong
2)Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott Hotel 1 Sky City Road East, Hong Kong International Airport, Lantau Hong Kong
3) Le Méridien Cyberport
4) Ovolo Southside, Hong Kong, A Member Of Design Hotels™
Could you please suggest which one? I think #2 is the furthest, I just don't know anything about the areas. TIA soo much!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:51 am

Of those alternatives, only the Courtyard gives you even a fleeting chance to see what Hong Kong is like. Small rooms, but stunning harbour views, if you get a harbour-view room. Mesmerizing to just sit and watch activity in the harbour, if it's your first time in Hong Kong. Or second. Or third. Etc.

Simple transport-wise: take the A12 bus from CLK and get off at Water Street, across from the hotel. Same in reverse. About 45 minutes' travel time.

Last edited by 889; Oct 13, 2017 at 12:04 pm
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by mmamminna
Thank you, I can afford
2)Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott Hotel 1 Sky City Road East, Hong Kong International Airport, Lantau Hong Kong
3) Le Méridien Cyberport
Could you please suggest which one? I think #2 is the furthest, I just don't know anything about the areas. TIA soo much!
Originally Posted by 889
Of those alternatives, only the Courtyard gives you even a fleeting chance to see what Hong Kong is like. Small rooms, but stunning harbour views, if you get a harbour-view room. Mesmerizing to just sit and watch activity in the harbour, if it's your first time in Hong Kong. Or second. Or third. Etc.

Simple transport-wise: take the A12 bus from CLK and get off at Water Street, across from the hotel. Same in reverse. About 45 minutes' travel time.
1 is the best choice for an HK feel, Sheung Wan is older traditional HK.
2 is for sleep between flights
3/4 too far given your arrival and departure timing.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmamminna
Thank you, I can afford
3) Le Méridien Cyberport
Your best bet is 1 if you want to drop gear and come back for sleep and your flight later, 2 if you don’t mind dropping gear in the city to go elsewhere (most of your time in the city is at night, someplace like Wan Chai might be interesting) or just be in the room watching the harbor as mentioned. Those are the two best positioned choices. 3 and 4 are in the middle of nowhere comparatively speaking and you would waste time getting there. They are also not interesting at night.

If it was me I would find someplace cheap and possibly more central and spend $100 or so USD rather than 10k SPG/30k Marriott because I think it’s a waste of 10k SPG compared to other uses than an overnight crash on a stopover (I think the western chains are mostly overpriced in HK, for points and for cash, with a few exceptions) but if you don’t have the cash you don’t have the cash.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 14, 2017 at 3:41 am
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:44 am

"2 if you don’t mind dropping gear in the city to go elsewhere"

He's not going to be going anywhere if he chooses Door No. 2: it's far far from anywhere, except the airport, especially arriving and departing at those hours. It works if he just wants a place to sleep overnight, period.

Myself, I woudn't spend more for a more central place: the time is too short. And you can certainly take a taxi out and back from the Courtyard to someplace more lively at midnight for a lot less than US$100.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:12 am

Thank you everyone. I can afford to pay cash but because those the last points I have from both chains, I though I'd burn them. Maybe a wrong reasoning, but that was my drive. So choice #1 looks like the best. Can I spend the night without hotel and wonder the streets? I did that in Tokyo and crashed into an onsen so it was experience but really tiring. I will only have a backpack (the airline said they will check luggage towards final destination). Is HK safe for alone female at night? TIA so so much!!!!
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:44 am

Yes, HK is quite safe even at the wee-est hours.

But that's still quite a long time to spend on the streets, or even in 24-hour McDonalds. If you want to rest for a few hours, here's a cheaper alternative:

An alternative to "can I lounge crash for X hours overnight "- Sleeep Capsule Hotel
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 889
He's not going to be going anywhere if he chooses Door No. 2: it's far far from anywhere, except the airport, especially arriving and departing at those hours.
Except OP is going to be arriving at and departing from the airport, no? Drop gear, take AEX out (it runs considerably later than her arrival time), cab back (assuming AEX isn't running by then), crash in room, saunter to airport after crashing. I've done similar in NYC visits- drop gear in convenient hotel to EWR, go into town, come back, crash, fly out.

That being said, I'd probably do a few hours at Sleeep as suggested instead of burning SPG/Marriott for a overpriced Courtyard for a handful of hours.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
1 is the best choice for an HK feel, Sheung Wan is older traditional HK.
2 is for sleep between flights
3/4 too far given your arrival and departure timing.
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Your best bet is 1 if you want to drop gear and come back for sleep and your flight later, 2 if you don’t mind dropping gear in the city to go elsewhere (most of your time in the city is at night, someplace like Wan Chai might be interesting) or just be in the room watching the harbor as mentioned. Those are the two best positioned choices. 3 and 4 are in the middle of nowhere comparatively speaking and you would waste time getting there.
Originally Posted by 889

Rather than start a new thread, I’ll tag onto this one, even though my layover is about 15 hours.

BTW, what is CLK?

I’m arriving at HKG about 8:30 PM on 2/20 and departing around noon the next day. I have overnighted at the Marriott Sky City once before, however, the rate on 2/20 is a little more than $500 USD. IMO, this Marriott is not worth that much for one person. Therefore, I’m seeking advice for another option.

- Preference is a Marriott or Hilton property, although would consider BW or Sheraton properties, also.
- Willing to spend $300-ish USD for a room.
- Looking for easy access from and to airport. I’ll only have a rollaboard carryon.
- Prefer to only use a credit card, even for transportation.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
BTW, what is CLK?
It is the locally used short form for where the airport is located

- Looking for easy access from and to airport. I’ll only have a rollaboard carryon.
- Prefer to only use a credit card, even for transportation.
Buying an Airport express train ticket on Klook.com will take care of the credit card only. There is the complimentary shuttle to hotels. Do check the shuttle's operating hours as well as whether your accommodations are serviced by the shuttle.

- Preference is a Marriott or Hilton property, although would consider BW or Sheraton properties, also.
- Willing to spend $300-ish USD for a room.
Marriot Courtyard on HK Island side fits the bill. Check with them to see if they are serviced by the Airport Express shuttle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.