Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong 12 Hour Layover - Late Night/Early AM

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Hong Kong 12 Hour Layover - Late Night/Early AM

Thanks in advance!

I arrive to HKG on Saturday, Oct. 21st at 21:10 and depart HKG on Sunday, Oct. 22nd at 10:35. Give or take a bit of time to get in and out of the airport I figure I have about 11 or 12 hours to do what I can which will literally be "all night long"...

So - any recommendations?

I've never been to Hong Kong before and I am doing it for 14k Delta MQM's...

I'm eager to walk the streets and try some delicious food. Night market recommendations are appreciated as are areas to walk around during the middle of the night / early Sunday morning that might have some action and activities going on.

If I head back early to the airport, is inexpensive transportation available? Airport lounges open that early? I have an Amex Plat. card and PP but not sure what doors will open with that.

Again, thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
There are no overnight markets - the "night market" is actually an evening market and closes down by around 23:30. There are a couple of working wholesale markets (fruit & veg etc), but they are not tourist places.

There is also very little street food in the sense that you get it in Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan, etc, although there are plenty of small restaurants dotted around that are open 24 hours.

Of course on a Saturday night there are plenty of late night bars, clubs etc. The two main areas where English is widely spoken are Lan Kwai Fong and the adjacent Wyndham Street, and Wanchai (around Lockhart Road). The former is a bit "smarter" and the latter a bit seedier (with exceptions in both cases).

The cheapest transportation to and from the airport is by bus, and they run all night. No idea what lounge Delta uses or when it opens.

PP uses the Plaza Premium lounge at HKG
, which is open 24 hours.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:58 pm

Good summary.

Just to add: DL uses the very mediocre Skyteam Lounge next to Gate 16, which opens at 5:30am.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: MP, BR
Let's see:
- As soon as you exit immigration take the Airport Express to Kowloon station, take a taxi to Temple Street Market (it's tourisy but still got some decent local food and it should be open until midnight or so).
- After Temple Street Market, take the MTR/Subway to Central and head to Lan Kwai Fong for the local drinking/bar/club scene.
- Airport Express has a stop (in fact it's the terminus) in Central under the IFC. First train around 5:50am. Head back to airport and rest/shower in the PP lounge. Or you can take the airport bus (there's a couple that stops in Central). Like someone else said it runs 24 hours but I think it's every 30 mins during the midnight/early morning hours.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I had a similar over night stay in Hong Kong last weekend.

Arrived HKG 10:30PM, cleared immigration (my bag was tagged to final destination so no issue) and went to the CX arrival lounge for a quick shower + a bite. At midnight I took the E11 bus to Hong Kong Island (fare is 21 HKD - you need to pay the exact fare to the driver). Got off at Sheung Wan (approx 45 min from airport) and went to the gay bars and clubs in this area. I had a blast and around 4:30AM I took the N11 bus from Central to the airport (fare 31 HKD, around 75 min). Got to the airport a little to 6AM and went airside to spend some time at the SQ lounge before my SK flight at 9:20 to Stockholm. ^
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:10 pm

Even on a weekday its better to get out to city then be in airport lounge for 10 hours. Aside from the suggestions, san hing for early morning dim sum(opens at 3). Even if you rest up for little in lounge before heading out, coolest thing to do is take a taxi from central up to peak at dawn. No visitors and best way to get view of lit up hk and as sun comes up, city below comes alive as well. You can take the peak tram down if you want the experience or take bus 15 down for little slower better view. You can also chill at central piers and take in views but yeah LKF will still be the place to be. Skip Tsui wah even though its open all hours, even mickey D's is better and its open too.
kaka and Shiv01 like this.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kurt711
Even on a weekday its better to get out to city then be in airport lounge for 10 hours. Aside from the suggestions, san hing for early morning dim sum(opens at 3). Even if you rest up for little in lounge before heading out, coolest thing to do is take a taxi from central up to peak at dawn. No visitors and best way to get view of lit up hk and as sun comes up, city below comes alive as well. You can take the peak tram down if you want the experience or take bus 15 down for little slower better view. You can also chill at central piers and take in views but yeah LKF will still be the place to be. Skip Tsui wah even though its open all hours, even mickey D's is better and its open too.
a place behind san hing serves dimsum 22-16 and dinner 18-22

they dont close 16-18 but i dont know what they serve.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Chromie25
- As soon as you exit immigration take the Airport Express to Kowloon station, take a taxi to Temple Street Market (it's tourisy but still got some decent local food and it should be open until midnight or so).
Take Citybus Route A22 instead.

It is the 2nd second after leaving airport and the stop (Shanghai Street, Jordon Road) is within walking distance of the Temple Street.

Airport Express will take even longer.
yannerd likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Don't want to hijack this thread but I have similar situation where in mid January I will be arriving at HKG at 10:30pm, but leaving next day at 8am (KA J). I am just looking somewhere to sleep before next flight out:

1) Try to hang around Plaza Premium lounges overnight (with Priority Pass), and then go to CX J lounges;
2) Use 30K Marriott points to book Marriott SkyCity hotel but it seems a waste of points when all I am trying to do is sleep and nothing else; Even as Marriott Gold I won't be able to take advantage of free breakfast as I have to be at airport at 6am anyway;
3) Try to look at cheap accommodation say Rambler Garden/Oasis (for $370 HKD) as all I care is a few hours sleep, and catch S1/MTR/Tsing-Yi taxi or local bus;
4) Pay to book at Novotel Tung Chung or Regal Airport but they are like $1540HKD which is steep for a few hours sleep;

Which is the best option based on above?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Don't want to hijack this thread but I have similar situation where in mid January I will be arriving at HKG at 10:30pm, but leaving next day at 8am (KA J). I am just looking somewhere to sleep before next flight out:

1) Try to hang around Plaza Premium lounges overnight (with Priority Pass), and then go to CX J lounges;
2) Use 30K Marriott points to book Marriott SkyCity hotel but it seems a waste of points when all I am trying to do is sleep and nothing else; Even as Marriott Gold I won't be able to take advantage of free breakfast as I have to be at airport at 6am anyway;
3) Try to look at cheap accommodation say Rambler Garden/Oasis (for $370 HKD) as all I care is a few hours sleep, and catch S1/MTR/Tsing-Yi taxi or local bus;
4) Pay to book at Novotel Tung Chung or Regal Airport but they are like $1540HKD which is steep for a few hours sleep;

we recently stayed at marriott for two rooms forgot how much but small discount with gold status. excellent room, good service with shuttle bus. We arrived from Tpe on Sunday mid afternoon, took MRT to town for dinner and then left at 6:30 am for 9 flight. Flew business so had access to CX lounge.

regal is renovated only for larger family rooms, convenient but stale rooms. stayed at novotel years ago but as OP mentioned, none of the options except premium lounger are cheap (never used it overnight)
Old Oct 7, 2017, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by kamchatsky

An alternative to "can I lounge crash for X hours overnight "- Sleeep Capsule Hotel

I can't imagine paying $200 or 30k Marriott when cheap options abound (or sleeping in a lounge).
Old Oct 7, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
An alternative to "can I lounge crash for X hours overnight "- Sleeep Capsule Hotel

I can't imagine paying $200 or 30k Marriott when cheap options abound (or sleeping in a lounge).
Yeah I saw that thread (thank you for writing it) but it looks like the hotel is probably too far travel time, when my flight arrives at 10:15pm, so getting out of airport is probably 10:45pm, and I had to be at airport at 6am for 7:55am flight .... hence I was considering options at Tsing Yi ....
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:36 am

" . . . and I had to be at airport at 6am for 7:55am flight."

I almost never arrive more than an hour before departure time, sometimes a little less. But if you're not familiar with the check-in arrangements, you can waste a bit of time, especially if taking a budget airline with check-in in the other hall.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by 889
" . . . and I had to be at airport at 6am for 7:55am flight."

I almost never arrive more than an hour before departure time, sometimes a little less. But if you're not familiar with the check-in arrangements, you can waste a bit of time, especially if taking a budget airline with check-in in the other hall.
Or if OP doesn't have eChannel or an APEC card. Exit formalities can take a while at HKG. @:-)
Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:15 am

"Exit formalities can take a while at HKG."

Ten to fifteen minutes would be a long wait at HK immigration. The speed of the security check puts just about every other airport to shame. Main issue is that it can be a surprisingly long and confusing trek from the security check to the boarding gate, past all the shops the Airport Authority has bundled into the CLK Mall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.