Reload this Page >

Help with travel logistics

Old Aug 9, 17, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Hello all, this is my first post because i need some help

I am based in hong kong

I will be travelling to Bali with Hong Kong Airlines tomorrow, and returning Sunday 20th August at 23:15 on flight HX 706.

I want to take a Cathay Pacific flight (CX 524) 1am departing Hong Kong to Tokyo on the morning of Monday 21st August (1 hour 45 mins later)

My question is - would I have enough time to disembark the arriving flight and make it to the departure gate.

Some additional details in case it helps:

There is no partnership or anything between these airlines.
I will not have any checked luggage
I will already do online checkin and have my boarding pass printed for the Cathay Flight

I dont know if I would be allowed to go straight from arrival gate to departure gate, or would i have to go through immigration?

The travel agent said minimum recommended time is 2 hours and i only have 1:45 - but i feel that this assumes i have luggage to collect and re-check, which i do not.... so i feel 1:45 might be enough? especially as Hong kong is a very efficient airport with smart card immigration

The flight has a very poor track record of being on time - but lets just ignore this for now. I am going to assume it arrives on time...

would welcome any experienced opinions on how this would work
Old Aug 9, 17, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by starscream1 View Post
Hello all, this is my first post because i need some help

I am based in hong kong

I will be travelling to Bali with Hong Kong Airlines tomorrow, and returning Sunday 20th August at 23:15 on flight HX 706.

I want to take a Cathay Pacific flight (CX 524) 1am departing Hong Kong to Tokyo on the morning of Monday 21st August (1 hour 45 mins later)

My question is - would I have enough time to disembark the arriving flight and make it to the departure gate.

Some additional details in case it helps:

There is no partnership or anything between these airlines.
I will not have any checked luggage
I will already do online checkin and have my boarding pass printed for the Cathay Flight

I dont know if I would be allowed to go straight from arrival gate to departure gate, or would i have to go through immigration?

The travel agent said minimum recommended time is 2 hours and i only have 1:45 - but i feel that this assumes i have luggage to collect and re-check, which i do not.... so i feel 1:45 might be enough? especially as Hong kong is a very efficient airport with smart card immigration

The flight has a very poor track record of being on time - but lets just ignore this for now. I am going to assume it arrives on time...

would welcome any experienced opinions on how this would work
I have done connecting flights on different airlines at HKG with a 2 hour connection, and barely made it. Are you willing to lose the Tokyo flight?

Way too much downside, given your assessment of late flights out of DPS.
Old Aug 9, 17, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
I have done connecting flights on different airlines at HKG with a 2 hour connection, and barely made it. Are you willing to lose the Tokyo flight?

Way too much downside, given your assessment of late flights out of DPS.
When you say you barely made it - can i confirm if that is with checked baggage, or without?

I just cant see how it would take me over an hour to get from arrival gate to departure gate unless i had to go out of immigration and recheck back in - which according to my limited understanding... i dont have to do so?
Old Aug 9, 17, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by starscream1 View Post
When you say you barely made it - can i confirm if that is with checked baggage, or without?

I just cant see how it would take me over an hour to get from arrival gate to departure gate unless i had to go out of immigration and recheck back in - which according to my limited understanding... i dont have to do so?
There was checked luggage, but it was thru-checked, so not a concern.

You are counting on a lot of things going right. If I recall right, you also have to go through security for connecting flights.

When we went through HKG last month, the connecting security gate was closed in the morning when we arrived, and we had to go much further.
Old Aug 10, 17, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
There was checked luggage, but it was thru-checked, so not a concern.

You are counting on a lot of things going right. If I recall right, you also have to go through security for connecting flights.

When we went through HKG last month, the connecting security gate was closed in the morning when we arrived, and we had to go much further.
Got it - thanks a lot for your input, much appreciated
Old Aug 10, 17, 2:38 am

1:45 is generally plenty of time. Things take longer if you arrive at the satellite though, but it's still comfortable. Everyone needs to go through transit security but not immigration.

Thing is, HX706 is shown with an average (!) delay of 33 mins this month (max. is 149mins) on flightstats though, so you might want to think up a backup plan in case you arrive late.
Old Aug 10, 17, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I would say a definite no, even making the connection is theoretically possible.

1. HX uses Midfield Concourse. Since all the passengers need to be shuttle back to Terminal 1 for immigration+customs/transit security, it will take at least 10-20 minutes of travel time. Also, it takes time to clear security and walk back to your new gate.

2. HX has a track record of delay.

When you add everything up, a delay, even small, could total your trip.

Change while you still can.

Search this Thread