Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Audio store across Plaza Premium (near Gate 4)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Slightly off-topic but I assume people in this forum would know HKG the best: anyone know the name / contact information of the audio store directly across the Plaza Premium lounge near Gate 4? I am looking to lodge a complaint for some terrible service received there.

Background (for those interested):
Was running late leaving the lounge, and wanted to pick up a cheap pair of earphones for my flight (12 hours) and I left my regular ones in the office. Asked a staff member (David) where the headphones were, and he pointed out a small section with only a couple of earphones (avg price around 500). I asked if he had any other ones, and he replied extremely sarcastically, "yeah certainly, we have some HKD 40,000 ones if you are interested? but if not, I suggest you go to XXXXX street (couldn't catch what he was saying) to get some for 10 or 20 HKD".

I was running late so couldnt lodge a complaint right there - all I could do was go catch his name and say thanks David, I'll make note of your great service before leaving the store.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: CX DM, IHG G, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Silver
It is a store called SOUND & VISION, they have several branches inside departures, near to gate 1 and gate 15. Their selection is definitely geared to "have no time to shop around" type of buyers. They are owned by Dufry.

I would say good luck in trying to get someone to even acknowledge your complaint, much less follow up and train the relevant staff. There's no such thing as good, caring, attentive customer service in HK at the airport. They just want to sell you their stuff, and if it appears that you're wasting their time, they will let you know. Which sounds like what happened here.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
I remember buying a phone there when I forgot mine at home and needed a temporary replacement for my trip. 950HKD for a Sony Xperia was not bad IMO.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:42 pm

It sounds like he was actually doing you a favour to me.

A lot of staff in HK's upmarket stores know they take the p*** with prices and will tell you where you can go to get better deals.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: CX JL QR LH BA
I don't think that's good suggestion, given the 40,000 HK$ and 10~20 HK$ comparison.

That is very unprofessional. Giving attitudes like this is not part of his job requirement.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by ashsong
I don't think that's good suggestion, given the 40,000 HK$ and 10~20 HK$ comparison.

That is very unprofessional. Giving attitudes like this is not part of his job requirement.
But it is a very quintessentially Hong Kong style service. Know what you're looking for at what price, leave money, get out. This type of service is far too common and is expected in Hong Kong, if you don't like it then don't bother with this place.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jckl
But it is a very quintessentially Hong Kong style service. Know what you're looking for at what price, leave money, get out. This type of service is far too common and is expected in Hong Kong, if you don't like it then don't bother with this place.
As in get out of Hong Kong? Being from here, I don't think so, nor do I agree with the "like it or leave it" approach. Sure, perhaps with certain restaurants or shops if they consistenetly have unprofessional service, but I think it's worth sending a message that this is not acceptable and not what "Hong Kong service" should be known for.

I don't find it acceptable that unprofessionalism = quintessential HK style service.

Originally Posted by jckl
Know what you're looking for at what price, leave money, get out.
Then what's the point of having someone there? Just give me one of those vending machines that dispense earphones like in the US and be done with it.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashsong

Thanks. I agree - in fact, being helpful is an actual part of why he is being paid and why he is still there, as opposed to replacing him with technology.

Look its sad so many humans are losing out to machines for jobs, but given these attitudes is it really surprising?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:37 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Hardly surprising since the govt only wants to rip you off
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by CX HK
I am looking to lodge a complaint for some terrible service received there.
What is the purpose of the complaint anyway?

It does not sound like you will ever return to the same store.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
What is the purpose of the complaint anyway?

It does not sound like you will ever return to the same store.
I probably won't, unless I'm heading towards the lounge again and need to pick up some tech products or something. It's got a convenient location.

I usually just let unfriendly and unhelpful servers go - I have only written 1 complaint in my life - but this went beyond what I considered acceptable.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
This is not related to CX at all. I am moving this thread to the HKG forum.

cxfan1960
CX CoMod
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I probably won't, unless I'm heading towards the lounge again and need to pick up some tech products or something. It's got a convenient location.
Years of traveling, I only picked up 1 product from there, as I needed a charging cable that was broken unexpectedly. Other than that, I highly do not recommend there because of the product selections.

I usually just let unfriendly and unhelpful servers go - I have only written 1 complaint in my life - but this went beyond what I considered acceptable.
While I believe what you are telling is the truth, my only question is the effectiveness of the complaint.

Since you did not really purchase anything there, some companies may choose not to act on the complaints. Also - as there is nothing to gain with the complaint. I would just let that go.

IMHO - voting with your money is a better way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.