Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Question about transiting in HKG airport on separate tickets

Old Jul 26, 17, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Hi, I have a flight arriving from ChiangMai and then another flight going to Taipei on the same day. They are on separate tickets. If I don't check in luggage, will I have to clear immigrations (enter into hong kong), check in and then go through immigrations again (for leaving hong kong)? Or can I just go through the transiting area and go to the gates of my next flight (assuming that I checked in online already)?

Thanks
Old Jul 26, 17, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
Assuming you have your boarding pass (mobile is OK) then you can just go through the transit security to the departures level.

If your Chiang Mai flight is on Cathay Dragon and your Taipei is on a non low cost carrier then you should be able to check bags through as well (assuming minimum connecting time is met).
Old Jul 26, 17, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

My chiang mai flight is on airasia and taipei flight is on hong kong airlines.

I have 2 hours and 15 minutes for transitting. I'm assuming since they are not interlined, I definitely have to go out if I have baggage. But if I don't, I'm hoping that if I just check in ahead of time and print out my boarding pass, the transit counters would let me go through.

I mean at HOng Kong airport, if you already printed out boarding pass and checked in ahead of time, do you still need to go to the check in desk or kiosk?
Old Jul 26, 17, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
Yup - two low cost carriers, so for baggage you'd have to go out. If you have a printed (or even a mobile app) boarding pass then you can just go straight to transit security.
Old Jul 27, 17, 10:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
One reason to leave airside is to obtain a refund on HK departure tax. There is a counter on departure level to process the refund. If you stay airside you can process refund by mail but then you get a "foreign" check if you don't have a HK bank account.
Old Jul 30, 17, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Do the transit desk handle check-ins? It looks like they are not letting me check in ahead of time because typhoon is not allowing seat selections for tomorrow (for some reason). No seat -> no check in allowed. So I would have to either check in at departure level or at transit desk if that’s allowed.
Old Jul 31, 17, 9:11 am
Original Poster

as it turned out, they did not let me check in at transit counter, but I was able to get out and come back in with plenty of time to spare. So all is good.
Old Aug 1, 17, 4:20 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
as it turned out, they did not let me check in at transit counter, but I was able to get out and come back in with plenty of time to spare. So all is good.
That's normal for LCC; if you had been flying full service carrier like CX/KA etc. then transit desk would have been able to keep you airside. As you mention HKG is quite efficient airport so going landside to check in isn't as slow as at most other airports (2 hour connection would have been risky elsewhere).
Old Aug 2, 17, 7:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Gold, GE
Just to clarify HKA is also a full service carrier (not a low-cost/budget airline)

But I of course welcome such classification for them and find it hilarious. All the better if it goes bust

Search this Thread